Hammock Stand

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 19, 2006
      Anyone else seen this:

      <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

      Kinda cute; but at 8 pounds, I'm not packing it...<g>...

      Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
      work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.

      J.D.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 19, 2006
        > <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
        partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

        I rigged up something like that in my backyard before I got the
        Vario. The stake has to be pretty damn strong, and on this alluvial
        adobe it wasn't happenin. I used a pile driver and couldn't break
        through!

        I ended up tying the stake end to the bottom of a small tree instead.
        It'll probably work just fine in the Georgia clay, though.

        Jeff
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 23, 2006
          A person who uses trekking poles could do this with no additional
          weight. I do not expect anyone will carry a big enough stake and the
          implement required to drive it, but tying to a shrubbery should work.

          Bill in Houston

          > Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
          > work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.
          >
          > J.D.

        • Matthew Takeda
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 25, 2006
            Bill in Houston wrote:
            >A person who uses trekking poles could do this with no additional
            >weight. I do not expect anyone will carry a big enough stake and the
            >implement required to drive it, but tying to a shrubbery should work.

            Don't bet on it. I broke a trekking pole trying to do just that a
            couple of years ago.

            Matthew Takeda
            the JOAT
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 25, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
              > Bill in Houston wrote:
              > >A person who uses trekking poles could do this with no additional
              > >weight. I do not expect anyone will carry a big enough stake and the
              > >implement required to drive it, but tying to a shrubbery should work.
              >
              > Don't bet on it. I broke a trekking pole trying to do just that a
              > couple of years ago.

              Thanks, Matthew!

              I have *NOT* tried to duplicate the hammock-stand as of yet. Bill
              mentions the potential problems with the stake and I looked at the
              text where it says something about "screwing" it into the ground. Now
              you mention breaking your pole. Hmmmm.... Guess the stress(es) of
              using that set-up are too much.

              IIRC, Risk's One-Pole method uses a 4" X 4"...

              So, Thanks for the feed back! Too much weight and too much stress.
              Better to find *TWO* trees and forget about that hammock stand idea
              except for backyard / car camping.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 25, 2006
                Hmm. It would also test the locking mechanism pretty severely as
                well. Still, it seems that they should be able to take it.

                Bill in Houston

                wrote:
                > Don't bet on it. I broke a trekking pole trying to do just that a
                > couple of years ago.
              • Matthew Takeda
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 26, 2006
                  J.D. Hoessle wrote:
                  >I have *NOT* tried to duplicate the hammock-stand as of yet. Bill
                  >mentions the potential problems with the stake and I looked at the
                  >text where it says something about "screwing" it into the ground.

                  I haven't been able to make it work with my ordinary tent stakes.
                  They just pull out of the ground, even doubled up. We use some spiral
                  stakes for tying down airplanes that screw into the ground, and they
                  can withstand a lot of tension. They work okay in the backyard, but
                  they're also too heavy to take backpacking.

                  >Now you mention breaking your pole. Hmmmm.... Guess the
                  >stress(es) of using that set-up are too much.

                  Being tubular, thin-walled, and small in diameter, trekking poles
                  just don't stand up to a lot of bending moment. I had the two poles
                  set up as an A-frame, and they supported the hammock for a minute or
                  so, but then I moved or something and one of them just folded in
                  half. Lucky for me Komperdell sells replacement segments. 8^)

                  >IIRC, Risk's One-Pole method uses a 4" X 4"...

                  I did the one-pole method with a 2"X4" last summer, and I suspect a
                  2"X2" might work. I'm learning to stiltwalk and my practice stilts
                  are made of #1 clear, knotfree, straight-grain 2"X2" fir. I'm
                  impressed with their strength.

                  Also, I've done the one-pole method with a downed branch I found, and
                  it was maybe 3" in diameter at the widest end and probably 1-1/2" at
                  the narrow end.

                  >So, Thanks for the feed back! Too much weight and too much stress.
                  >Better to find *TWO* trees and forget about that hammock stand idea
                  >except for backyard / car camping.

                  When I was a scout, lo these many years ago, our troop carried staves
                  (or staffs, if you prefer) made from aluminum conduit (1-1/2" or 2",
                  I'm not sure which anymore) with crutch tips on the ends. They stood
                  up to all the stress a bunch of boys could subject them to. Bigger
                  diameter and thicker walls make that material a lot more resistant to
                  bending than a trekking pole. I wonder how heavy an A-frame stand
                  made from that would be? You could probably hammer one end of each
                  part flat and drill it so you could hinge them together with a bolt and nut.

                  Matthew Takeda
                  the JOAT
                • hallieandmarie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Hello All,

                    I'm trying to find a good place to get a hammock stand.

                    I have a hammock that I bought in Mexico that is great, however, it
                    doesn't have the wood spreader bars and requires a LONG span to use it
                    without touching the ground.

                    Recently I found a used hammock with the wood spreader bars at a
                    Habitat for Humanity store. I had to buy it!

                    I'm going to take my hammocks with me on my RV trip to nap in and
                    sometimes sleep under the stars. I'm sure I won't always find
                    the "right" trees to hang my hammck from and I also don't want to
                    injure the bark. I've seen hammock stands for sale but I don't want
                    to spend an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?

                    -Marie

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 3, 2007
                        Suggestion #1. Install a strong eye-bolt somewhere convenient at about
                        neck height on the RV. Park the RV so that the eye-bolt is about 12
                        feet away from a tree, telephone pole, or something strong. Now you
                        don't have to find trees in the right spacing, you create the spacing.

                        I have an inexpensive stand which several people have built and some
                        have improved upon. Ed Speer has directions for a steel pipe stand
                        which I would recommend for use in a traveling RV since it takes up less
                        space when storing.

                        My page is
                        http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

                        Risk

                        hallieandmarie wrote:
                        > Hello All,
                        >
                        > I'm trying to find a good place to get a hammock stand.
                        >
                        > I have a hammock that I bought in Mexico that is great, however, it
                        > doesn't have the wood spreader bars and requires a LONG span to use it
                        > without touching the ground.
                        >
                        > Recently I found a used hammock with the wood spreader bars at a
                        > Habitat for Humanity store. I had to buy it!
                        >
                        > I'm going to take my hammocks with me on my RV trip to nap in and
                        > sometimes sleep under the stars. I'm sure I won't always find
                        > the "right" trees to hang my hammck from and I also don't want to
                        > injure the bark. I've seen hammock stands for sale but I don't want
                        > to spend an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?
                        >
                        > -Marie

                        Walk Well!

                        Rick (Risk)

                        *********************************
                        http://www.imrisk.com
                        author of
                        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                        www.wayahpress.com
                        *********************************
                      • Stuhr, Tim
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 5, 2007
                          I've been looking at them real hard lately. I agree with Tim that the
                          Vario and the Jobek appear the best. Both are adjustable and break
                          down. It appears that the Jobek will break down a little further than
                          the Vario without tools. All the joints in the Jobek are held together
                          by handscrews (including the removable feet). The feet on the Vario are
                          held by a bolt than can be removed with wrenches if you need to pack it
                          more compactly. I think I like the Vario better because the cross bars
                          for the feet turn down on the ends and I believe it would be a little
                          more stable on slightly uneven ground. The Jobek does come with wheels,
                          but wheels can be ordered and put on the Vario. I'm ordering the Vario
                          today and also ordering a set of wheels from a different dealer.

                          Best price I've found for the Vario is $90.81 at
                          http://www.homedecorworld.com/

                          The wheels and the Jobek can all be ordered from
                          http://www.hammock-company.com/detail.asp?id=846&sku=W-KIT&mode=EDIT&qty
                          =1

                          Tim Stuhr (stoikurt)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                            I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                            the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                            Enjoy............
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                              I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold the
                              hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                              distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                              place to attach the other rope.

                              Rick

                              hacktorious wrote:
                              > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                              > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                              > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
                              >
                              > Enjoy............

                              Walk Well!

                              Rick (Risk)

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                Would one support and two guylines work?

                                Ralph

                                On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                                > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                                > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                                > http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html
                                >
                                > Enjoy............

                              • C C Wayah
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                  Hacktorious,
                                  I looked at your hammock stand.
                                  Which gives me an idea of using used metal bed
                                  frames instead of wood. If we all went to hamocks
                                  at home most of us would some of these lying around.
                                  Rogene

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                    You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                                    for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                                    awning anchors.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                      I have broken more than one of them trying this when I was experimenting
                                      with the one stick method. They always seemed to break at the place
                                      where the metal stock was flattened to keep the leash from migrating
                                      down the corkscrew.

                                      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                                      Rick

                                      Steve Bennett wrote:
                                      > You might try a corkscrew anchor that are often sold in pet stores
                                      > for keeping your dog in the yard or RV Stores where they sell them as
                                      > awning anchors.
                                      >

                                      > On Jun 22, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Rick wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to
                                      >> hold the
                                      >> hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                                      >> distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                                      >> place to attach the other rope.
                                      >>
                                      >> Rick
                                      >>
                                      >> hacktorious wrote:
                                      >>> I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to
                                      >> share
                                      >>> the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:
                                      >>> http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-
                                      >> stand.html
                                      >>> Enjoy............
                                      >>>

                                      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      >>>

                                      >> --
                                      >> Walk Well!
                                      >>
                                      >> Rick (Risk)
                                      >>
                                      >> *********************************
                                      >> http://www.imrisk.com
                                      >> author of
                                      >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                                      >> www.wayahpress.com

                                      Walk Well!

                                      Rick (Risk)

                                      *********************************
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                        Good to know,

                                        I came across this while searching for screw in anchors:

                                        http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?
                                        c=2&p=10457&cat=2,43319,33282&ap=2

                                        Bit pricey but it looks like it would hold well.

                                      • Scott
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 22, 2007
                                          I made a new one today with 2x4's. It is great. Here are some photos:
                                          http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/hammock-stand-with-2x4s.html

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                                            Sure, but it would probably be unnecessary. My current setup can
                                            handle more than the hammock itself.

                                            > Would one support and two guylines work?
                                            >
                                            > Ralph
                                            >

                                            > On 6/22/07, hacktorious <hacktorious@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                                            > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                                            http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                                            > > Enjoy............

                                          • hacktorious
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 25, 2007
                                              Try at 1/2"x16", or larger hex bolt for your stake.

                                              > I have seldom been able to find a stake system strong enough to hold
                                              the
                                              > hammock with my weight in it. When a tree is available at a greater
                                              > distance than practical for normal hanging, then that tree is a good
                                              > place to attach the other rope.
                                              >
                                              > Rick
                                              >
                                              > hacktorious wrote:
                                              > > I made a cool little hammock stand last night and just wanted to share
                                              > > the info and some photo's with everyone. Here is the link:

                                              http://hammockcamping.blogspot.com/2007/06/home-made-hammock-stand.html

                                              > > Enjoy............
                                              > >

                                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              > >

                                              > --
                                              > Walk Well!
                                              >
                                              > Rick (Risk)

                                            • kf7gd
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                                Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.

                                                Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                                                of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.

                                                Thanks, Art.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                                  Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                                  strengthening a stake.
                                                  Maybe it will help.

                                                  Youngblood

                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kf7gd" <kf7gd@...> wrote:

                                                  > Im trying to make one of these but the stake keeps pulling out.
                                                  >
                                                  > Suggestions? I have tried the corkscrew type and also a 2 foot chunk
                                                  > of rebar. Maybe I just have bad ground.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks, Art.
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Anyone else seen this:

                                                  <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41339&memberId=12500226>

                                                  > > Kinda cute; but at 8 pounds, I'm not packing it...<g>...
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Klutz that I am, Risk's one post rig wasn't something I could make
                                                  > > work. Maybe this two pole thing would be OK for car camping.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > J.D.

                                                • Scott
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                                                    The corkscrew type will end up breaking. I have been successfully using a
                                                    16" hex bolt in addition to an 18" piece of rebar. The rebar is used as a
                                                    safety backup in a different loop. I will post photos later in the week on
                                                    my blog. I have already posted some.

                                                    --
                                                    Scott
                                                    www.AntiFuel.com

                                                    On 7/1/07, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

                                                    > Someone posted a diagram in photos section showing a technique for
                                                    > strengthening a stake.
                                                    > Maybe it will help.
                                                    >
                                                    > Youngblood

                                                  • kf7gd
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                                      Thanks, Ill try some more today after a trip to the hardware store.

                                                      I plan to try a piece of plywood with 3 holes for stakes (rebar) and a
                                                      central tie point for the guy line. I like your idea better.

                                                      Thanks , Art.