New! Improved! the Quarter Weight Hammock

    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2003
      A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
      button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
      throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
      quarters you can loose this way.

      It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
      two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
      quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
      place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
      other end.

      So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
      hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
      hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

      Rick <><

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      wrote:
      > Goals:
      >
      > - more comfortable way to use pad as insulation
      > - readily available material
      > - no ridge cord
      > - inexpensive
      >
      > Materials:
      >
      > 10 yards of 1" poly webbing
      > 6 2/3 yards 48" polyester cloth (soft to the touch, ?? doubleknit)
      > (about 1.5 oz/yard)
      > 3 1/3 yards of 48" polyester chiffon (wedding veil material)
      >
      > Instructions:
      >
      > - Lay the chiffon out and scribe/cut one edge so that it is a foot
      > less wide at the ends than in the middle of the long edge. Make
      the
      > cut a curve, a segment of a large circle, like the side of a kayak
      > seen from above.
      > - Cut the polyester hammock material into two pieces 3 1/3 yards
      long
      > - Cut the poly webbing into two equal lengths (15 feet)
      > - singe the long edge cut of the chiffon and the ends of all
      pieces
      > (a propane torch is the easy way to do this)
      > - make a sandwich with chiffon between two layers of polyester and
      > sew a long edge of the two polyester layers and the cut edge of the
      > chifon with a half inch seam allowance.
      > - At the end of the seam, there will be extra chiffon left over
      > (about 3-4 inches). Cut a strip from the end of the chiffon that
      > width and then re-singe the edge.
      > - turn the outside layers of the sandwitch back and stitch 2.5 feet
      > of each end of the long edge of those two layers, forming a pocket
      of
      > hammock material with a layer of chiffon coming out of the opposite
      > edge of the "hammock to be"
      > - make a Speer type overhand knot in both layers of the hammock
      > material, at each end. Incorporate no more of the chiffon in the
      > knot than is necessary along the one edge.
      > - sew 4 button holes an inch from the free edge of the chiffon.
      This

      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2003
        Message
        Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
        Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2003
          Optimist or pessamist?

          I prefer to note that:
          Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
          I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
          Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

          Rick <><

          > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
          > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
          > later..Ed

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05
          > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
          mqso=60164797&pa
          > rtid=3170658>
          >
          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
          > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Debra Weisenstein
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2003
            Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
            could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
            other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

            Deb

          • Per-Arne Asp
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2003
              Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

              //p-a

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                open the net in the middle of the night.

                Rick <><