Thread?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2003
      Hi Karen,

      Interesting thread you have started here. (da-da-da-boom)

      I use the all polyester thread sold places like WalMart, 50 cents per
      500 yards. It was all I have found that did not have a cotton
      (mercanized) cover.

      I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.

      I do use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
      (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
      come forward again. It ends up looking just like the sewing in a
      GoLite pack.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dpwomble@y... writes:

      > > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
      > > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)
      >
      > Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up
      lying on the ground!

      > I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the
      webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing
      together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap
      polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the
      ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing
      possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately).
      But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half
      dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever
      cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

      > Karen
    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003
        Christina--

        Check hardware stores, sail makers, and marine supply stores for
        webbing. If you're inland, I assume there must be boating stores with
        similar gear. There's an outfit here in Honolulu called West Marine,
        which I think must be a national chain. They have a marvellous
        selection of very strong and light cordage and webbing. Also, I get
        all the stuff to make tents and hammocks from Outdoor Wilderness
        Fabrics, as others have stated here.

        Brandon in Honolulu

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>
        wrote:
        > Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch
        wide
        > webbing?
        >
        > I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for
        towing cars.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Christina
        >
        > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
        >
        > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
        >
        > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
        > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
        > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
        > May your Heart be filled with Love.
        > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
        > Peace Be With You Always.
        > ~~Christina Moon
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2003
          OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
          weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
          thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
          webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
          a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
          webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
          something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
          known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
          everywhere).

          When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
          side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
          any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
          up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
          safe from random webbing failures.

          If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
          silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
          to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

          Jim

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Christina,
          > >
          > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
          > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
          > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
          > which
          > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > >

          > Rick,
          >
          > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
          you
          > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
          that
          > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
          > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
          > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
          with
          > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
          > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
          > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
          (and
          > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
          >
          > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
          > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
          > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
          suggest a
          > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
          > hammock.
          >
          > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
          enthusiasm
          > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
          an
          > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
          >
          > Youngblood
        • Matt Pulsts
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

            Just an idea if you cant find poly...