Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2003
      Dave, I'd suggest not tying a knot... the knotting makes the thing
      much weaker.

      I like your ideas of testing by people... Similar to my testing of
      the hammock by tying it up so if I fall I only fall inches.

      Since I do not have a hydraulic press at my disposal, Let's see...

      Nice thing about people is they can be moved easily.. they are self
      moving weights. Easier to get my friend to step on a platform than
      to put a 200 pound weight there myself.

      The simplest test I can think of is having two or three people sit on
      a piece of the webbing tied between two trees like a hammock...
      Assuming the piece passes, throw it away (or use it for something
      which is not weight bearing-it may be damaged) and use that type of
      webbing in the future.

      Make sure the ground under the testers is soft and that they are good
      friends with each other. Take pictures!

      > Rick,
      >
      > I'll give the testing idea some thought. First thought I had was
      > tying it off overhead and having several people grab hold and
      > gradually let it support their weight. Second thought was to not
      tie
      > off overhead and get couple of people on each end and then
      gradually
      > let it support the weight on both ends. I'll keep thinking about
      > it. I'm sure we will gets lots of ideas...some may even make us
      > laught.
      >
      > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's next
      outing
      > to determine the tensile strength? :-) We could team up based on
      the
      > type of hammock we use to see who had the strongest hammock lines.
      >
      > Youngblood
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I really appreciate it when someone calls me an enthusiastic
      > > youngster. You made my day!!!
      > >
      > > It would be wonderful to have specs on the webbing.
      Unfortunately,
      > > it is almost never available. Ed and I have had this
      conversation
      > > and it usually comes back to the fact that the manufacturer does
      > not
      > > want to be responsible for guarantees of breaking strength. They
      > > certainly do NOT want anyone putting their body weight on that
      > > strap. So getting a clear answer seems impossible.
      > >
      > > I agree with your assessment, yet have gone through a life of WAY
      > > overengineering things just because I did not know strength...
      and
      > of
      > > gradual backing down on the material until a breakage did occur.
      > >
      > > Maybe we should find an easy way to test straps?? Say you want
      > > say the strap is safe for 600 pound pull. So you test it to 900
      or
      > > 1200 pounds 5-10 times to see it that destroys it??? Let me see,
      > > what around here weighs that much????? Half my car??? Maybe a
      big
      > > fish?? You have any ideas?
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
      > <dpwomble@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"
      <geoflyfisher@y...>

      > > > which

      > > > Rick,
      > > >
      > > > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough.
      If

      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003
        Hi Karen,

        Interesting thread you have started here. (da-da-da-boom)

        I use the all polyester thread sold places like WalMart, 50 cents per
        500 yards. It was all I have found that did not have a cotton
        (mercanized) cover.

        I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.

        I do use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
        (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
        come forward again. It ends up looking just like the sewing in a
        GoLite pack.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        dpwomble@y... writes:

        > > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
        > > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)
        >
        > Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up
        lying on the ground!

        > I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the
        webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing
        together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap
        polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the
        ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing
        possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately).
        But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half
        dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever
        cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

        > Karen
      • uluheman
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2003
          Christina--

          Check hardware stores, sail makers, and marine supply stores for
          webbing. If you're inland, I assume there must be boating stores with
          similar gear. There's an outfit here in Honolulu called West Marine,
          which I think must be a national chain. They have a marvellous
          selection of very strong and light cordage and webbing. Also, I get
          all the stuff to make tents and hammocks from Outdoor Wilderness
          Fabrics, as others have stated here.

          Brandon in Honolulu

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>
          wrote:
          > Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch
          wide
          > webbing?
          >
          > I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for
          towing cars.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Christina
          >
          > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
          >
          > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
          >
          > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
          > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
          > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
          > May your Heart be filled with Love.
          > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
          > Peace Be With You Always.
          > ~~Christina Moon
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
            weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
            thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
            webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
            a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
            webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
            something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
            known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
            everywhere).

            When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
            side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
            any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
            up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
            safe from random webbing failures.

            If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
            silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
            to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

            Jim

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Christina,
            > >
            > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
            > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
            > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
            > which
            > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
            > >
            > > Rick
            > >

            > Rick,
            >
            > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
            you
            > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
            that
            > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
            > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
            > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
            with
            > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
            > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
            > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
            (and
            > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
            >
            > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
            > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
            > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
            suggest a
            > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
            > hammock.
            >
            > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
            enthusiasm
            > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
            an
            > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
            >
            > Youngblood
          • Matt Pulsts
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2003
              true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

              Just an idea if you cant find poly...