40 degree Sleeping Bag suggestions

  • bezirk
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
      I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag and I
      have narrowed my list down to:

      Marmot Atom
      Marmot Pounder
      NorthFace Propel

      They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than $200
      (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed on
      eBay).

      I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
      indifferent between synthetic and down.

      Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
      something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price ($150 -
      $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be good
      too though...

      Thanks,

      David
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
        I'm kinda partial to the Snugpak Softie series.

        Fuzzy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:

        > I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag and I
        > have narrowed my list down to:
        >
        > Marmot Atom
        > Marmot Pounder
        > NorthFace Propel
        >
        > They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than $200
        > (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed on
        > eBay).
        >
        > I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
        > indifferent between synthetic and down.
        >
        > Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
        > something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price ($150 -
        > $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be good
        > too though...
      • tcoug7
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
          I suggest you look at the Frog Sac offered by Speer Hammocks. It's
          rated a little higher (45F). It works awesome with hammock camping
          plus it's on sale!

          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/FrogSac.htm

          Tim

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:

          > I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag and I
          > have narrowed my list down to:
          >
          > Marmot Atom
          > Marmot Pounder
          > NorthFace Propel
          >
          > They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than $200
          > (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed on
          > eBay).
          >
          > I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
          > indifferent between synthetic and down.
          >
          > Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
          > something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price ($150 -
          > $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be good
          > too though...
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > David

        • bezirk
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
            They look nice, but they are a bit heavier than I'd like.

            dz

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...> wrote:

            > I'm kinda partial to the Snugpak Softie series.
            >
            > Fuzzy
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag and I
            > > have narrowed my list down to:
            > >
            > > Marmot Atom
            > > Marmot Pounder
            > > NorthFace Propel
            > >
            > > They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than $200
            > > (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed on
            > > eBay).
            > >
            > > I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
            > > indifferent between synthetic and down.
            > >
            > > Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
            > > something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price ($150 -
            > > $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be good
            > > too though...

          • bezirk
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
              I looked at those too. I've bought two cheap (< $30) and relatively
              light bags in the last year:

              Coleman Exponent 32 degrees - 2.5 lbs and has kept me pretty warm
              albeit fully clothed including a watch cap down into the 30's. I'd
              probably rate it as a 40 degree bag.

              Lufuma Extreme SPF 48 degrees - 1.2 lbs and it didn't feel warm in my
              guest bedroom lying on a bed with the heat on and the windows closed (
              I just bought it, if amazon will let me it is going back, if not it
              was only $22) The tags inside the bag list it as a 60 degree bag.

              At any rate, in it's only "worth" buying a new bag if it is at least
              as warm as the coleman and a lot lighter. $80 is nice though, but it
              wouldn't save much weight over the gear I own.

              Thanks

              David

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@y...> wrote:

              > I suggest you look at the Frog Sac offered by Speer Hammocks. It's
              > rated a little higher (45F). It works awesome with hammock camping
              > plus it's on sale!
              >
              > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/FrogSac.htm
              >
              > Tim
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag and I
              > > have narrowed my list down to:
              > >
              > > Marmot Atom
              > > Marmot Pounder
              > > NorthFace Propel
              > >
              > > They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than $200
              > > (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed on
              > > eBay).
              > >
              > > I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
              > > indifferent between synthetic and down.
              > >
              > > Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
              > > something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price ($150 -
              > > $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be good
              > > too though...
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > David

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@y...> wrote:
                > I suggest you look at the Frog Sac offered by Speer Hammocks. It's
                > rated a little higher (45F). It works awesome with hammock camping
                > plus it's on sale!

                David,

                I will second Tim's suggestion above. On Springer, with temps in the
                20's, I first used the FrogSac and was very impressed. I used my
                GoLite parka as a "blanket" on my top half and the doubled-up FrogSac
                on my legs and feet was TOO warm. Had to spread it out so that I had
                just one thickness.

                Since returning home, I have been wearing it around the house to get
                used to it and it is pretty neat to be able to walk around wearing the
                FrogSac - good for those cold mornings around camp.

                I am guessing that with my Exped Downmat 7, the Speer SPE, and the
                FrogSac I will be good to freezing. Wearing some clothes, I think I
                can go lower - comfortably!

                I also like the fact that it stuffs down to about 1/2 the size of my
                down slpg. bag.

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • Fuzzy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                  My Softie 3 Merlin came in at 1.5#, which is a few ounces heavier
                  than you were looking for, but it packs SMALL, like 5-6" diameter and
                  5-7" long, depending on how well I pack and compress it. I have
                  found myself willing to give up a few ounces for less bulk, since I
                  can carry a smaller pack. Of course, If I can manage to get rid of
                  my "spare tire", I can carry my winter pack for free. Sigh...

                  Fuzzy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:

                  > They look nice, but they are a bit heavier than I'd like.
                  >
                  > dz
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > > I'm kinda partial to the Snugpak Softie series.
                  > >
                  > > Fuzzy
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > > > I've decided to purchase an ultralite 40 degree sleeping bag
                  and I
                  > > > have narrowed my list down to:
                  > > >
                  > > > Marmot Atom
                  > > > Marmot Pounder
                  > > > NorthFace Propel
                  > > >
                  > > > They weigh about the same and are all availible for less than
                  $200
                  > > > (which fits nicely with what I earned selling an old K2 Longbed
                  on
                  > > > eBay).
                  > > >
                  > > > I've not bought a sleeping bag from either company and I am
                  > > > indifferent between synthetic and down.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone have an opinion on which of these bags would be best or
                  > > > something around the same weight (1 lb, a few oz) and price
                  ($150 -
                  > > > $200) that would be better than any of them? Cheaper would be
                  good
                  > > > too though...

                • bezirk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                    I'm trying to drop a little of that kind of weight too. I got the
                    ultralite bug when I was out in november and didn't fill up my 96 oz
                    Nalgene canteen (which will hold close to 4L if you fill it) so my
                    pack weighed around 28lbs instead of the usual 35lbs - 40. Since then
                    I have started weighing things (who knew my 20 degree kelty bag
                    weighed 4lbs in the compression sack) and switched to a alchohol
                    stove, etc...

                    I think your going to have me beat on the compression size, but I can
                    fit everything already with my bigger bags, so that shouldn't be an
                    issue. Now if there was a way to make my closed cell pad that size....

                    David

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...> wrote:

                    > My Softie 3 Merlin came in at 1.5#, which is a few ounces heavier
                    > than you were looking for, but it packs SMALL, like 5-6" diameter and
                    > 5-7" long, depending on how well I pack and compress it. I have
                    > found myself willing to give up a few ounces for less bulk, since I
                    > can carry a smaller pack. Of course, If I can manage to get rid of
                    > my "spare tire", I can carry my winter pack for free. Sigh...
                    >
                    > Fuzzy
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > They look nice, but they are a bit heavier than I'd like.
                    > >
                    > > dz
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm kinda partial to the Snugpak Softie series.
                    > > >
                    > > > Fuzzy
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...>

                    > and I

                    > $200
                    > on

                    > ($150 -
                    > good

                  • Fuzzy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:

                      > I think your going to have me beat on the compression size, but I can
                      > fit everything already with my bigger bags, so that shouldn't be an
                      > issue. Now if there was a way to make my closed cell pad that
                      size....

                      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. See
                      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%
                      20Mattresses/Big%20Agnes%20Insulated%20Air%20Core/Chuck%20Kime/>

                      Fuzzy
                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...> wrote:
                        > Of course, If I can manage to get rid of
                        > my "spare tire", I can carry my winter pack for free. Sigh...

                        Fuzzy,

                        So I guess married life is agreeing with you? ...hehehe!

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                      • Fuzzy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006

                          > > Of course, If I can manage to get rid of
                          > > my "spare tire", I can carry my winter pack for free. Sigh...
                          >
                          > So I guess married life is agreeing with you? ...hehehe!

                          Dude,

                          *You* know she can cook - what hope do *I* have?

                          Fuzzy