Rick - bug net question

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 17, 2006
      Hi Rick,

      I was reading through your site AGAIN the other day, thank you so much
      for compiling such great info. btw, and I was wondering how well the
      Chaffon worked as a bug net?

      Does it work well enough for all little bugs or just the skeeters?

      Thanks
      jamie d
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 18, 2006
        chcoa wrote:
        > Hi Rick,
        >
        > I was reading through your site AGAIN the other day, thank you so much
        > for compiling such great info. btw, and I was wondering how well the
        > Chaffon worked as a bug net?
        >
        > Does it work well enough for all little bugs or just the skeeters?
        >
        > Thanks
        > jamie d

        There are two sorts of Chaffon. One is a very very fine mesh which
        keeps the noseeums out very well. It also absorbs water and gets wet.
        The other sort is a crinkly sort of mesh that has larger holes. It is
        often used for brides veils and the like. It stops mosquitoes but not
        the noseeums.

        I use black noseeum cloth almost always. The others are there if I have
        a desire to make something TODAY.

        Rick
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 18, 2006

          > I use black noseeum cloth almost always. The others are there if I
          have
          > a desire to make something TODAY.
          >
          > Rick

          Is this noseeum cloth purchased from any of the places listed in Ed's
          book or do you have another location I could check as well?

          jamie
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 19, 2006
            Jamie,

            No-see-um netting is sold by Quest (
            http://www.questoutfitters.com/mesh_fabrics.htm#NO-SEE-UM%20MESH ), OWF
            ( http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/mesh&netting.asp ) and other sources
            listed in Ed Speer's book as well. REI also sells it by the yard (
            http://tinyurl.com/dkkca ) and if you live near an REI it may be the
            way to go for you.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 19, 2006
              Jamie,

              I almost always use one of the two outfits on this page:

              http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

              Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and
              Quest Outfitters

              Both have been very good to me and have always provided personal service
              on the phone.

              Rick

              chcoa wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
              >

              >>I use black noseeum cloth almost always. The others are there if I
              >
              > have
              >
              >>a desire to make something TODAY.
              >>
              >>Rick
              >

              > Is this noseeum cloth purchased from any of the places listed in Ed's
              > book or do you have another location I could check as well?
              >
              > jamie

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 19, 2006
                Really REI sells it? Wow I learn something new everyday. You'd
                think of all the hours I've spent wondering around REI I would have
                noticed that. Weird!!

                Thank you Rick and Dave for suggestions. I'm going to check out REI
                first and if that doesn't pan out then I'll start looking at the
                other outfitters.

                JAmie D

                > Jamie,
                >
                > No-see-um netting is sold by Quest (
                > http://www.questoutfitters.com/mesh_fabrics.htm#NO-SEE-UM%
                20MESH ), OWF
                > ( http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/mesh&netting.asp ) and other
                sources
                > listed in Ed Speer's book as well. REI also sells it by the yard
                (
                > http://tinyurl.com/dkkca ) and if you live near an REI it may be
                the
                > way to go for you.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > I use black noseeum cloth almost always. The others are there
                if I
                > > have
                > > > a desire to make something TODAY.
                > > >
                > > > Rick
                > >

                > > Is this noseeum cloth purchased from any of the places listed in
                Ed's
                > > book or do you have another location I could check as well?
                > >
                > > jamie

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 20, 2006

                  > Really REI sells it? Wow I learn something new everyday. You'd
                  > think of all the hours I've spent wondering around REI I would have
                  > noticed that. Weird!!

                  It's usually near the climbing section where they sell the webbing,
                  rope, shockcord, etc.

                  Jeff
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 22, 2006
                    I found it but it was $5 a 1/2 yard. That seemed steep for me. Maybe
                    that's resonable, I have not checked the other sellers but at the time
                    I wasn't into it.

                    jamie

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 23, 2006
                      Jamie,

                      I think somebody might have just misquoted or misread the price on
                      the $5 per half yard price? I bought some a few months ago at one of
                      the REI's near me at $3.50 per yard which is the same price as on
                      their web site... can't imagine an REI charging more than what is
                      listed on their web site since you can order anything they list on
                      their site, have it delivered to your local REI and pick it up
                      without paying shipping charges.

                      I've bought in many times over the years from both of the REI's near
                      me and it has always been the price listed on their site (a few years
                      ago it was about $2.50 per yard?) and the only problem I've ever had
                      was sometimes the sales person I talked to said they didn't have it
                      and when I asked them to double check they would and then maybe still
                      say they didn't have it. I would just find another employee who did
                      know about it and then find the employee that didn't know after I had
                      got it and explain to him/her where it was and what it was used for.
                      For years I knew exactly where they kept it but in the last few years
                      they have played 'musical chairs' with everything. Maybe you should
                      have asked another employee or have had that employee check the price
                      listed on their web site, it's not something that all of the newer
                      employees may really know much about.

                      Dave

                      > I found it but it was $5 a 1/2 yard. That seemed steep for me.
                      Maybe
                      > that's resonable, I have not checked the other sellers but at the
                      time
                      > I wasn't into it.
                      >
                      > jamie
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                      wrote:

                      > > > Really REI sells it? Wow I learn something new everyday.
                      You'd
                      > > > think of all the hours I've spent wondering around REI I would
                      > have
                      > > > noticed that. Weird!!
                      > >
                      > > It's usually near the climbing section where they sell the
                      webbing,
                      > > rope, shockcord, etc.
                      > >
                      > > Jeff

                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 24, 2006
                        Good thought Dave. I had my son with me and it was getting close to
                        dinner time so I didn't really have time to question the guy too
                        much that day. Now that I know, I'll double check and see what's up.

                        That price seemed hight since right above the roll was a premade net
                        that would have covered two hammocks for only $12.

                        Since I have not idea of price for thsi type of stuf and haven't
                        taken time to check the other suppliers is $2.50 a competitive price?

                        jamie

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                          Jamie,

                          The REI price is $3.50 per yard while Quest and OWF are $2.95 and
                          $2.80, respectively in small quantities. Prices vary all over the
                          place for these types of goods and I have seen other online sources
                          that were higher and some that were lower. Sometimes there are
                          cutting charges, minimum order charges, shipping charges, sales
                          taxes, etc. But, if you live near REI and only need a small amount
                          it might be the way you want to do it... it would be the quickest way
                          to get your hands on some, not necessarily the cheapest or the least
                          amount of your time.

                          Dave

                          > Since I have not idea of price for thsi type of stuf and haven't
                          > taken time to check the other suppliers is $2.50 a competitive
                          price?

                        • J.D. Hoessle
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                            > I was reading through your site AGAIN the other day, thank you so much
                            > for compiling such great info. btw, and I was wondering how well the
                            > Chaffon worked as a bug net?
                            >
                            > Does it work well enough for all little bugs or just the skeeters?

                            Jamie,

                            I admire people like yourself who can plan ahead for skeeter-season!
                            Or, do you live in one of those warmer parts of the world?

                            On a recent day-hike, it was in the low 20F's and the wind was blowing
                            the snow horizontally. For a moment, I was praying for HOT weather
                            because my ears were about to snap off...<g>... *THEN*, I remembered
                            that I would then be praying for cold temps to keep those skeeters away...

                            Unlike so many here and yourself, I am not into the DIY stuff; but, I
                            will be following this bugnet thread and hope you will post your
                            results. I purchased a Speer this past Fall; but, have not *HAD* to
                            use the bugnet yet!

                            Happy Trails,

                            J.D.
                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                              Thank you again Dave. I think after shipping and whatnot, REI is
                              probably in the same ballpark then. I'll look into it further.

                              Jamie

                              > Jamie,
                              >
                              > The REI price is $3.50 per yard while Quest and OWF are $2.95 and
                              > $2.80, respectively in small quantities. Prices vary all over the
                              > place for these types of goods and I have seen other online
                              sources
                              > that were higher and some that were lower. Sometimes there are
                              > cutting charges, minimum order charges, shipping charges, sales
                              > taxes, etc. But, if you live near REI and only need a small
                              amount
                              > it might be the way you want to do it... it would be the quickest
                              way
                              > to get your hands on some, not necessarily the cheapest or the
                              least
                              > amount of your time.
                              >
                              > Dave
                              >

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Since I have not idea of price for thsi type of stuf and haven't
                              > > taken time to check the other suppliers is $2.50 a competitive
                              > price?

                            • chcoa
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                > > I was reading through your site AGAIN the other day, thank you
                                so much
                                > > for compiling such great info. btw, and I was wondering how well
                                the
                                > > Chaffon worked as a bug net?
                                > >
                                > > Does it work well enough for all little bugs or just the
                                skeeters?

                                > Jamie,
                                >
                                > I admire people like yourself who can plan ahead for skeeter-
                                season!
                                > Or, do you live in one of those warmer parts of the world?
                                >
                                > On a recent day-hike, it was in the low 20F's and the wind was
                                blowing
                                > the snow horizontally. For a moment, I was praying for HOT weather
                                > because my ears were about to snap off...<g>... *THEN*, I
                                remembered
                                > that I would then be praying for cold temps to keep those skeeters
                                away...

                                > Unlike so many here and yourself, I am not into the DIY stuff;
                                but, I
                                > will be following this bugnet thread and hope you will post your
                                > results. I purchased a Speer this past Fall; but, have not *HAD*
                                > use the bugnet yet!
                                >
                                > Happy Trails,
                                >
                                > J.D.

                              • chcoa
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                  > > I was reading through your site AGAIN the other day, thank you
                                  so much
                                  > > for compiling such great info. btw, and I was wondering how well
                                  the
                                  > > Chaffon worked as a bug net?
                                  > >
                                  > > Does it work well enough for all little bugs or just the
                                  skeeters?

                                  > Jamie,
                                  >
                                  > I admire people like yourself who can plan ahead for skeeter-
                                  season!
                                  > Or, do you live in one of those warmer parts of the world?
                                  >
                                  > On a recent day-hike, it was in the low 20F's and the wind was
                                  blowing
                                  > the snow horizontally. For a moment, I was praying for HOT weather
                                  > because my ears were about to snap off...<g>... *THEN*, I
                                  remembered
                                  > that I would then be praying for cold temps to keep those skeeters
                                  away...

                                  > Unlike so many here and yourself, I am not into the DIY stuff;
                                  but, I
                                  > will be following this bugnet thread and hope you will post your
                                  > results. I purchased a Speer this past Fall; but, have not *HAD*
                                  > use the bugnet yet!
                                  >
                                  > Happy Trails,
                                  >
                                  > J.D.

                                • chcoa
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 25, 2006
                                    Hi J.D.

                                    I do live in one of those warmer places but we are usually too dry
                                    to have a ton of bugs. Be do have a bug season though, I guess for
                                    lack of a better way to describe it. I am about to try out a Travel
                                    Hammock (top entry), without a bug net already attached so I was
                                    thinking I should probably start getting a bug plan in order so when
                                    winter is over I'm ready for those little buggers.

                                    Jamie in Arizona

                                    > Jamie,
                                    >
                                    > I admire people like yourself who can plan ahead for skeeter-
                                    season!
                                    > Or, do you live in one of those warmer parts of the world?
                                    >
                                    > On a recent day-hike, it was in the low 20F's and the wind was
                                    blowing
                                    > the snow horizontally. For a moment, I was praying for HOT weather
                                    > because my ears were about to snap off...<g>... *THEN*, I
                                    remembered
                                    > that I would then be praying for cold temps to keep those skeeters
                                    away...

                                    > Unlike so many here and yourself, I am not into the DIY stuff;
                                    but, I
                                    > will be following this bugnet thread and hope you will post your
                                    > results. I purchased a Speer this past Fall; but, have not *HAD*
                                    > use the bugnet yet!
                                    >
                                    > Happy Trails,
                                    >
                                    > J.D.

                                  • J.D. Hoessle
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                                      > I guess for
                                      > lack of a better way to describe it. I am about to try out a Travel
                                      > Hammock (top entry), without a bug net already attached so I was
                                      > thinking I should probably start getting a bug plan in order so when
                                      > winter is over I'm ready for those little buggers.

                                      Ah! Hah! Now I understand what you're up to there. Guess you have
                                      seen Risk's "Quarter Weight" idea...? Once you obtain your fabric,
                                      that looks like a good low-cost solution. Don't forget to add in the
                                      dollar for the quarters. Just my "two bits" Yuk! Yuk!

                                      J.D.
                                    • chcoa
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 26, 2006
                                        Yes, Rick's page was one of the first places I looked for some ideas.
                                        I had remembered him posting about bug netting such a while back. To
                                        be honest I haven't realy paid much attention the subject until
                                        recnetly because I was using an HH and the bug net was already part of
                                        the system.
                                        It's just another fun project like my Neat Sheet undercover, so I'll
                                        see how it goes.

                                        Jamie in AZ

                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                        > > I guess for
                                        > > lack of a better way to describe it. I am about to try out a
                                        Travel
                                        > > Hammock (top entry), without a bug net already attached so I was
                                        > > thinking I should probably start getting a bug plan in order so
                                        when
                                        > > winter is over I'm ready for those little buggers.
                                        >
                                        > Ah! Hah! Now I understand what you're up to there. Guess you have
                                        > seen Risk's "Quarter Weight" idea...? Once you obtain your fabric,
                                        > that looks like a good low-cost solution. Don't forget to add in the
                                        > dollar for the quarters. Just my "two bits" Yuk! Yuk!
                                        >
                                        > J.D.

                                      • Fuzzy
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 28, 2006

                                          > Ah! Hah! Now I understand what you're up to there. Guess you have
                                          > seen Risk's "Quarter Weight" idea...? Once you obtain your fabric,
                                          > that looks like a good low-cost solution. Don't forget to add in the
                                          > dollar for the quarters. Just my "two bits" Yuk! Yuk!

                                          FYI, folks...

                                          His "jokes" are just as bad in person. Sigh...

                                          Fuzzy