Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2003
      Rick,

      I'll give the testing idea some thought. First thought I had was
      tying it off overhead and having several people grab hold and
      gradually let it support their weight. Second thought was to not tie
      off overhead and get couple of people on each end and then gradually
      let it support the weight on both ends. I'll keep thinking about
      it. I'm sure we will gets lots of ideas...some may even make us
      laught.

      Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's next outing
      to determine the tensile strength? :-) We could team up based on the
      type of hammock we use to see who had the strongest hammock lines.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>

    • Matthew Pulsts
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003

        You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in climbing gear.  They will sell webbing of all sorts.  The nice thing about the climbing shop’s webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight bearing specs HAVE to be available.

        Just a thought…

        Matt

        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2003
          Matt,

          Only problem there, if I remember this stuff from my climbing days,
          is that the climbing webb gear stuff is almost always nylon, not
          poly. Unfortunately, the nylon stretches too much for hammocks.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Pulsts"
          <mvpulsts@e...> wrote:
          > You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in
          climbing gear.
          > They will sell webbing of all sorts. The nice thing about the
          climbing
          > shop's webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight
          bearing specs
          > HAVE to be available.
          >

          > Just a thought.
          >

          > Matt

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          050658
          > 43:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
          >

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupmai

        • karens62@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, dpwomble@... writes:

            > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
            > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)

            Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up lying on the ground!

            I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately). But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

            Karen
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2003
              Dave, I'd suggest not tying a knot... the knotting makes the thing
              much weaker.

              I like your ideas of testing by people... Similar to my testing of
              the hammock by tying it up so if I fall I only fall inches.

              Since I do not have a hydraulic press at my disposal, Let's see...

              Nice thing about people is they can be moved easily.. they are self
              moving weights. Easier to get my friend to step on a platform than
              to put a 200 pound weight there myself.

              The simplest test I can think of is having two or three people sit on
              a piece of the webbing tied between two trees like a hammock...
              Assuming the piece passes, throw it away (or use it for something
              which is not weight bearing-it may be damaged) and use that type of
              webbing in the future.

              Make sure the ground under the testers is soft and that they are good
              friends with each other. Take pictures!

              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                Hi Karen,

                Interesting thread you have started here. (da-da-da-boom)

                I use the all polyester thread sold places like WalMart, 50 cents per
                500 yards. It was all I have found that did not have a cotton
                (mercanized) cover.

                I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.

                I do use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
                (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
                come forward again. It ends up looking just like the sewing in a
                GoLite pack.

                Rick

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                dpwomble@y... writes:

                > > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
                > > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)
                >
                > Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up
                lying on the ground!

                > I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the
                webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing
                together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap
                polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the
                ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing
                possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately).
                But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half
                dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever
                cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

                > Karen
              • uluheman
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                  Christina--

                  Check hardware stores, sail makers, and marine supply stores for
                  webbing. If you're inland, I assume there must be boating stores with
                  similar gear. There's an outfit here in Honolulu called West Marine,
                  which I think must be a national chain. They have a marvellous
                  selection of very strong and light cordage and webbing. Also, I get
                  all the stuff to make tents and hammocks from Outdoor Wilderness
                  Fabrics, as others have stated here.

                  Brandon in Honolulu

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>
                  wrote:
                  > Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch
                  wide
                  > webbing?
                  >
                  > I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for
                  towing cars.

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Christina
                  >
                  > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
                  >
                  > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
                  >
                  > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
                  > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
                  > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
                  > May your Heart be filled with Love.
                  > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
                  > Peace Be With You Always.
                  > ~~Christina Moon
                • colonelcorn76
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                    OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
                    weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
                    thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
                    webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
                    a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
                    webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
                    something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
                    known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
                    everywhere).

                    When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
                    side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
                    any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
                    up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
                    safe from random webbing failures.

                    If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
                    silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
                    to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

                    Jim

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Christina,
                    > >
                    > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
                    > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
                    > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
                    > which
                    > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
                    > >
                    > > Rick
                    > >

                    > Rick,
                    >
                    > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
                    you
                    > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
                    that
                    > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
                    > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
                    > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
                    with
                    > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
                    > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
                    > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
                    (and
                    > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
                    >
                    > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
                    > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
                    > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
                    suggest a
                    > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
                    > hammock.
                    >
                    > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
                    enthusiasm
                    > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
                    an
                    > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
                    >
                    > Youngblood
                  • Matt Pulsts
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                      true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

                      Just an idea if you cant find poly...