Re: Hammock Camping thanks Ed, we'll be dangling in Belize next week

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      Shane's advice is excellent.

      I have occasionally drifted off into a several hour stay in my hot
      tub, which I usually keep at about 95 degrees. After any prolonged
      stay in the tub, just a couple degrees below body temperature, I
      start to get cold. This is because there is effective conduction of
      heat from my body to the hot tub water.

      In the hammock, you can have effective transfer of heat through a
      single layer of nylon directly against the skin and through the skin
      if it is not protected by insulation of clothing.

      If the air temperature is above body temperature, you will have to do
      some evaporative cooling to allow your body to adjust to the
      environmental stress. The evaporative cooling can be sweat or
      Shane's mister.

      Let us know how you do!

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      wrote:
      > > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
      > > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
      > > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity
      >
      > Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give
      you some
      > tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the
      high 70s
      > and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...
      >
      > Tip #1: Sleep nude.
      >
      > Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve
      ventilation. If
      > no rain is expected, remove the fly.
      >
      > Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled
      with cool
      > water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude
      body, the
      > netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative
      cooling
      > that can be very refreshing.
      >
      > If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict
      that you
      > will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody
      who might
      > be sleeping on the ground near you.
      >
      > Shane
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        JB
        I have slept in just a Jag Bag silk bag linner on some hot nites
        here in Bama. But fact is I still felt a little cool on my
        backside. Your jungle trip will undoubably be even warmer but still
        you are probably used to sleeping on a thick mattress at home with
        little or no cover on top. I do run my ac in hot weather so it is
        not like outside. But for some reason being used to a thick matress
        at home translates into feeling cool when I dont have any insulation
        under me in my hammock. I went to Tenn. last summer with just a
        sheet. I ended up freezing on a 70 degree nite and yes I put on all
        my clothes, just nylon shorts and a nylon short sleeve shirt (both
        by Rem-Lite)

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "busterx32000"