RE: {Spam?} Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped reply on slow deflation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
      Interesting Jeff-let me know what Exped has to say..Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
        After a few emails with Exped, here's a summary:

        He keep reiterating that they test the mats before they leave the
        factory to the equivalent of parking a car on them. And that
        they've NEVER had one leave the factory leaking.

        I find that a little hard to believe since 5 people (plus me) now
        report slow deflation on new pads. Mine happened the first time I
        inflated it, but I'm not sure exactly how new it was when you guys
        noticed it.

        The valve is made from polycarbonate (Lexan) so it should be pretty
        tough to break it by twisting too hard.

        He kept asking me to dunk test it. I did a quick test yesterday and
        didn't find a leak. I concentrated around the valves along the end
        and didn't spend too much time looking around the rest of the
        mat...it's possible I didn't see it since it's such a slow leak.

        I was making a trip to REI today, so I took the mat in and exchanged
        it. The REI guy said that if it was leaking as soon as I bought it,
        then sometimes they send it back to the factory instead of putting
        it on their member sale rack. So I put a note on there with
        Andreas's name, and hopefully he'll get to check it out.

        Jeff
      • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2006
          I don't know if is the same cause but ...

          I had the same problem with an insulated Big Agnes pad. It worked perfectly
          well for the first few outings, then began to leak slowly but consistently,
          so it was completely deflated in a few hours.
          I put it in the bath and couldn't find any leakage!
          I mailed Big Agnes and immediately got the answer that they had had a bad
          fabric batch! They sent me another mattress that unfortunately has the same
          problem. So they sent me a third one, that still works as a charm a year
          later.

          My 0.02
          Marie-Noëlle

          2006/1/8, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...>:

          > After a few emails with Exped, here's a summary:
          >
          > He keep reiterating that they test the mats before they leave the
          > factory to the equivalent of parking a car on them. And that
          > they've NEVER had one leave the factory leaking.

          Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
          et les liens vers mes pages persos
          (livre d'or, photos, articles, etc.) sur :
          http://mnaugendre.blogspot.com/

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Marie-Noëlle Augendre
            <mnaugendre@g...> wrote:
            > I had the same problem with an insulated Big Agnes pad.
            > I mailed Big Agnes and immediately got the answer that they had had
            > a bad fabric batch!

            Thanks for the above input!

            This "bad fabric" problem is what I was speculating about previously;
            e.g., the bonding process of fabric to vinyl.

            Hmmmmmmmmm............

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.