Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2003
      Christina,

      I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
      yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
      stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps, which
      would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>

      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
        wrote:
        > Christina,
        >
        > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
        > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
        > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
        which
        > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
        >
        > Rick

        Rick,

        Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If you
        use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply that
        it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
        break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
        attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go with
        something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
        stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
        application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury (and
        then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).

        I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
        different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
        tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would suggest a
        little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in a
        hammock.

        Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your enthusiasm
        and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with an
        analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.

        Youngblood
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2003
          I really appreciate it when someone calls me an enthusiastic
          youngster. You made my day!!!

          It would be wonderful to have specs on the webbing. Unfortunately,
          it is almost never available. Ed and I have had this conversation
          and it usually comes back to the fact that the manufacturer does not
          want to be responsible for guarantees of breaking strength. They
          certainly do NOT want anyone putting their body weight on that
          strap. So getting a clear answer seems impossible.

          I agree with your assessment, yet have gone through a life of WAY
          overengineering things just because I did not know strength... and of
          gradual backing down on the material until a breakage did occur.

          Maybe we should find an easy way to test straps?? Say you want to
          say the strap is safe for 600 pound pull. So you test it to 900 or
          1200 pounds 5-10 times to see it that destroys it??? Let me see,
          what around here weighs that much????? Half my car??? Maybe a big
          fish?? You have any ideas?

          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            Rick,

            I'll give the testing idea some thought. First thought I had was
            tying it off overhead and having several people grab hold and
            gradually let it support their weight. Second thought was to not tie
            off overhead and get couple of people on each end and then gradually
            let it support the weight on both ends. I'll keep thinking about
            it. I'm sure we will gets lots of ideas...some may even make us
            laught.

            Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's next outing
            to determine the tensile strength? :-) We could team up based on the
            type of hammock we use to see who had the strongest hammock lines.

            Youngblood

            wrote:
> [...]
            > > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
            > > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
            > (and
            > > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
            > >
            > > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
            > > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
            > > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
            suggest
            > > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
            > > hammock.
            > >
            > > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
            > enthusiasm
            > > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
            an
            > > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.

          • Matthew Pulsts
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2003

              You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in climbing gear.  They will sell webbing of all sorts.  The nice thing about the climbing shop’s webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight bearing specs HAVE to be available.

              Just a thought…

              Matt

              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                Matt,

                Only problem there, if I remember this stuff from my climbing days,
                is that the climbing webb gear stuff is almost always nylon, not
                poly. Unfortunately, the nylon stretches too much for hammocks.

                Rick

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Pulsts"
                <mvpulsts@e...> wrote:
                > You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in
                climbing gear.
                > They will sell webbing of all sorts. The nice thing about the
                climbing
                > shop's webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight
                bearing specs
                > HAVE to be available.
                >

                > Just a thought.
                >

                > Matt

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                050658
                > 43:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
                >

                > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupmai

              • karens62@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, dpwomble@... writes:

                  > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
                  > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)

                  Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up lying on the ground!

                  I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately). But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

                  Karen
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                    Dave, I'd suggest not tying a knot... the knotting makes the thing
                    much weaker.

                    I like your ideas of testing by people... Similar to my testing of
                    the hammock by tying it up so if I fall I only fall inches.

                    Since I do not have a hydraulic press at my disposal, Let's see...

                    Nice thing about people is they can be moved easily.. they are self
                    moving weights. Easier to get my friend to step on a platform than
                    to put a 200 pound weight there myself.

                    The simplest test I can think of is having two or three people sit on
                    a piece of the webbing tied between two trees like a hammock...
                    Assuming the piece passes, throw it away (or use it for something
                    which is not weight bearing-it may be damaged) and use that type of
                    webbing in the future.

                    Make sure the ground under the testers is soft and that they are good
                    friends with each other. Take pictures!

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                      Hi Karen,

                      Interesting thread you have started here. (da-da-da-boom)

                      I use the all polyester thread sold places like WalMart, 50 cents per
                      500 yards. It was all I have found that did not have a cotton
                      (mercanized) cover.

                      I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.

                      I do use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
                      (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
                      come forward again. It ends up looking just like the sewing in a
                      GoLite pack.

                      Rick

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
                      > In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      dpwomble@y... writes:

                      > > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
                      > > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)
                      >
                      > Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up
                      lying on the ground!

                      > I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the
                      webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing
                      together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap
                      polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the
                      ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing
                      possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately).
                      But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half
                      dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever
                      cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

                      > Karen
                    • uluheman
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                        Christina--

                        Check hardware stores, sail makers, and marine supply stores for
                        webbing. If you're inland, I assume there must be boating stores with
                        similar gear. There's an outfit here in Honolulu called West Marine,
                        which I think must be a national chain. They have a marvellous
                        selection of very strong and light cordage and webbing. Also, I get
                        all the stuff to make tents and hammocks from Outdoor Wilderness
                        Fabrics, as others have stated here.

                        Brandon in Honolulu

                        wrote:
                        > Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch
                        wide
                        > webbing?
                        >
                        > I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for
                        towing cars.

                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Christina
                        >
                        > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
                        >
                        > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
                        >
                        > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
                        > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
                        > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
                        > May your Heart be filled with Love.
                        > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
                        > Peace Be With You Always.
                        > ~~Christina Moon
                      • colonelcorn76
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                          OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
                          weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
                          thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
                          webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
                          a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
                          webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
                          something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
                          known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
                          everywhere).

                          When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
                          side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
                          any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
                          up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
                          safe from random webbing failures.

                          If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
                          silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
                          to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

                          Jim

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Christina,
                          > >
                          > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
                          > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
                          > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
                          > which
                          > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
                          > >
                          > > Rick
                          > >

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
                          you
                          > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
                          that
                          > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
                          > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
                          > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
                          with
                          > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
                          > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
                          > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
                          (and
                          > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
                          >
                          > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
                          > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
                          > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
                          suggest a
                          > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
                          > hammock.
                          >
                          > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
                          enthusiasm
                          > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
                          an
                          > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
                          >
                          > Youngblood
                        • Matt Pulsts
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                            true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

                            Just an idea if you cant find poly...