RE: Hammock Camping thanks Ed, we'll be dangling in Belize next week

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
      > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
      > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity

      Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give you some
      tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the high 70s
      and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...

      Tip #1: Sleep nude.

      Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve ventilation. If
      no rain is expected, remove the fly.

      Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled with cool
      water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude body, the
      netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative cooling
      that can be very refreshing.

      If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict that you
      will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody who might
      be sleeping on the ground near you.

      Shane
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        Shane's advice is excellent.

        I have occasionally drifted off into a several hour stay in my hot
        tub, which I usually keep at about 95 degrees. After any prolonged
        stay in the tub, just a couple degrees below body temperature, I
        start to get cold. This is because there is effective conduction of
        heat from my body to the hot tub water.

        In the hammock, you can have effective transfer of heat through a
        single layer of nylon directly against the skin and through the skin
        if it is not protected by insulation of clothing.

        If the air temperature is above body temperature, you will have to do
        some evaporative cooling to allow your body to adjust to the
        environmental stress. The evaporative cooling can be sweat or
        Shane's mister.

        Let us know how you do!

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
        wrote:
        > > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
        > > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
        > > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity
        >
        > Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give
        you some
        > tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the
        high 70s
        > and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...
        >
        > Tip #1: Sleep nude.
        >
        > Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve
        ventilation. If
        > no rain is expected, remove the fly.
        >
        > Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled
        with cool
        > water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude
        body, the
        > netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative
        cooling
        > that can be very refreshing.
        >
        > If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict
        that you
        > will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody
        who might
        > be sleeping on the ground near you.
        >
        > Shane
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          JB
          I have slept in just a Jag Bag silk bag linner on some hot nites
          here in Bama. But fact is I still felt a little cool on my
          backside. Your jungle trip will undoubably be even warmer but still
          you are probably used to sleeping on a thick mattress at home with
          little or no cover on top. I do run my ac in hot weather so it is
          not like outside. But for some reason being used to a thick matress
          at home translates into feeling cool when I dont have any insulation
          under me in my hammock. I went to Tenn. last summer with just a
          sheet. I ended up freezing on a 70 degree nite and yes I put on all
          my clothes, just nylon shorts and a nylon short sleeve shirt (both
          by Rem-Lite)

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "busterx32000"