Re: Using a poncho as a rain fly

  • bezirk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      I've been out in the rain a few times without ever getting wet in the hammock. The
      ridgeline is the only place I am certain a poncho would be a good replacement. The HH fly
      is 120 inches at the ridge line and the poncho is 119 inches.

      > It can be done with a big enough poncho. Ridgeline length is a big
      > deal, though - the ends of the hammock are the only places I've
      > experienced windblown rain wetting the hammock.
      >

      > Jeff

    • bezirk
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        That would to the trick and then some. Its probably out my budget at the moment.
        Although if I was about to embark on a thur hike it would be worth the money.

        Thanks

        dz

        > No affiliation, just a big fan. Trailquest.net has a 63x116" poncho
        > that includes seamsealing for $95. Hard to beat the $45 from GoLite
        > though. - David with no trailname

      • bezirk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:

          > The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
          > replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
          > is needed.

          I saw this one too. I was leaning towards the only because it was green. How does the
          coverage compare on the sides? Your point is the taken about the rain jacket. I only see
          swapping the poncho for the HH fly, the pack cover, and the windbreaker on short trips
          when there isn't rain in the forecast. If I'm out longer I'll probably have a shell along as an
          extra layer.

          Thanks for the advice.

          dz