Re: [Hammock Camping] Using a poncho as a rain fly

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
      replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
      is needed. Once the poncho was set too flat when it rained and the
      poncho turned into a funnel. Two ways to prevent this problem. One is to
      pitch the side with the hood with a steep slope. The other is to throw a
      clove hitch around the hood and elevate it by guying to an overhead
      branch. It is easier to keep the hood tightly closed if a cord lock is
      added to the hood drawcord. Two 12.5” TripTease cords are used for the
      fly guylines.

      The Campmor is also 104" X 58" which in theory is a 119 diagonal. The
      GoLite has center tie loops on the short side which allows the poncho to
      be pitched in an A-frame. The GoLite is heavier.

      I prefer to have the snakeskins outside the fly in rain to keep the
      hammock line as dry as possible. First hang the hammock while still
      inside the snakeskin sheath. Then hang the poncho with a couple of 6'
      lines secured near the tree huggers. Pull the snakes skins and weight
      the hammock. Then retension the hammock knots, disconnect the poncho and
      move the snake skins outside the hooks then attach the poncho to the hooks.

      The poncho provides adequate coverage when it is attached to the hooks
      on the hammock line AND sites are chosen carefully. I like to hang the
      hammock near the shore of lakes. Wind blows across the lake then upward
      when it gets to the lake bank. It can seem like the rain is blowing up
      under the fly. I have replaced standard O-ring on the Hennessy pull out
      with a minicarabiner. In extreme weather I attach the poncho corner
      directly to the pull out. It spoils your view, but you stay dry.

      Dick Matthews
      Colorado

      bezirk wrote:

      >I tried searching the old posts for information on using a poncho as a rain fly on a HH
      >Exporer Ultralite, but I gave up and decided to ask.
      >
      >GoLite has a 104x58 poncho. The long diagonal is only an inch or so shorter than the
      >stock fly, based on my high school geometry, it seems like it would provide a little more
      >coverage than the original asymetric rain, I'm curious if anyone has actually used one in
      >the field.
      >
      >One other question, has anyone tried installing their snake skins between the hooks and
      >the hammock? It seems like that would make setup easier in the rain.
      >
      >Since this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself a bit. I've been backpacking
      >since I was in scouts (as the oldest Tenderfoot in the history of my troop) and bought my
      >hammock 2 years ago. I live in Virginia and disappear into Shenandoah NP as often as my
      >wife and grad school allow me the time.
      >
      >Other than my first night (August '03) when I 'froze' with a felt bag and no pad. I've
      >enjoyed every night in my hammock. I used a thermarest after that, though I tried a
      >closed cell foam pad last weekend and slept just fine with lows in the high 30's.
      >
      >As you might have guessed, the poncho and the foam pad are part of a drive to lower my
      >base weight. The foam pad saves a pound as does an alcohol stove. I've got reasonably
      >light sleeping bags and a fairly light pack. My best shot a losing the next pound and a half
      >(without spending a fortune) is to swap the fly, a pack cover, and a windbreaker for a
      >poncho.

    • bezirk
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        I've been out in the rain a few times without ever getting wet in the hammock. The
        ridgeline is the only place I am certain a poncho would be a good replacement. The HH fly
        is 120 inches at the ridge line and the poncho is 119 inches.

        > It can be done with a big enough poncho. Ridgeline length is a big
        > deal, though - the ends of the hammock are the only places I've
        > experienced windblown rain wetting the hammock.
        >

        > Jeff

      • bezirk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          That would to the trick and then some. Its probably out my budget at the moment.
          Although if I was about to embark on a thur hike it would be worth the money.

          Thanks

          dz

          > No affiliation, just a big fan. Trailquest.net has a 63x116" poncho
          > that includes seamsealing for $95. Hard to beat the $45 from GoLite
          > though. - David with no trailname

        • bezirk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:

            > The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
            > replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
            > is needed.

            I saw this one too. I was leaning towards the only because it was green. How does the
            coverage compare on the sides? Your point is the taken about the rain jacket. I only see
            swapping the poncho for the HH fly, the pack cover, and the windbreaker on short trips
            when there isn't rain in the forecast. If I'm out longer I'll probably have a shell along as an
            extra layer.

            Thanks for the advice.

            dz