Re: Using a poncho as a rain fly

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bezirk" <bezirk@y...> wrote:

      > I tried searching the old posts for information on using a poncho as
      a rain fly on a HH
      > Exporer Ultralite, but I gave up and decided to ask.
      >
      > GoLite has a 104x58 poncho. The long diagonal is only an inch or so
      shorter than the
      > stock fly, based on my high school geometry, it seems like it would
      provide a little more
      > coverage than the original asymetric rain, I'm curious if anyone has
      actually used one in
      > the field.

      I used a 96x72 poncho (6x8 blue tarp with a slit and makeshift hood,
      ugliest piece of gear ever imagined)for a few drizzly night in my
      backyard in the diagonal formation, and it didn't let any verticle
      drizzle in, although I forgot to make drip lines on the hammock
      supports, so it came in from the ropes. Blowing rain could be a
      problem if you have a down bag. You may want to check Mountain Laurel
      Designs poncho under super tarps. It is a little bit wider than the
      GoLite and could be that extra bit of protection you would want. You
      can also custom order from them, making it a 9.5' or 10' long poncho.
      One other advantage is that you could say you have a product from the
      crazy people that sponsor the even crazier people from Team MLD, and
      make 2.25 oz packs, 11oz down bags, and 5.5 oz tarps. *Disclaimer*-
      No affiliation, just a big fan. Trailquest.net has a 63x116" poncho
      that includes seamsealing for $95. Hard to beat the $45 from GoLite
      though. - David with no trailname
    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
        replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
        is needed. Once the poncho was set too flat when it rained and the
        poncho turned into a funnel. Two ways to prevent this problem. One is to
        pitch the side with the hood with a steep slope. The other is to throw a
        clove hitch around the hood and elevate it by guying to an overhead
        branch. It is easier to keep the hood tightly closed if a cord lock is
        added to the hood drawcord. Two 12.5” TripTease cords are used for the
        fly guylines.

        The Campmor is also 104" X 58" which in theory is a 119 diagonal. The
        GoLite has center tie loops on the short side which allows the poncho to
        be pitched in an A-frame. The GoLite is heavier.

        I prefer to have the snakeskins outside the fly in rain to keep the
        hammock line as dry as possible. First hang the hammock while still
        inside the snakeskin sheath. Then hang the poncho with a couple of 6'
        lines secured near the tree huggers. Pull the snakes skins and weight
        the hammock. Then retension the hammock knots, disconnect the poncho and
        move the snake skins outside the hooks then attach the poncho to the hooks.

        The poncho provides adequate coverage when it is attached to the hooks
        on the hammock line AND sites are chosen carefully. I like to hang the
        hammock near the shore of lakes. Wind blows across the lake then upward
        when it gets to the lake bank. It can seem like the rain is blowing up
        under the fly. I have replaced standard O-ring on the Hennessy pull out
        with a minicarabiner. In extreme weather I attach the poncho corner
        directly to the pull out. It spoils your view, but you stay dry.

        Dick Matthews
        Colorado

        bezirk wrote:

        >I tried searching the old posts for information on using a poncho as a rain fly on a HH
        >Exporer Ultralite, but I gave up and decided to ask.
        >
        >GoLite has a 104x58 poncho. The long diagonal is only an inch or so shorter than the
        >stock fly, based on my high school geometry, it seems like it would provide a little more
        >coverage than the original asymetric rain, I'm curious if anyone has actually used one in
        >the field.
        >
        >One other question, has anyone tried installing their snake skins between the hooks and
        >the hammock? It seems like that would make setup easier in the rain.
        >
        >Since this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself a bit. I've been backpacking
        >since I was in scouts (as the oldest Tenderfoot in the history of my troop) and bought my
        >hammock 2 years ago. I live in Virginia and disappear into Shenandoah NP as often as my
        >wife and grad school allow me the time.
        >
        >Other than my first night (August '03) when I 'froze' with a felt bag and no pad. I've
        >enjoyed every night in my hammock. I used a thermarest after that, though I tried a
        >closed cell foam pad last weekend and slept just fine with lows in the high 30's.
        >
        >As you might have guessed, the poncho and the foam pad are part of a drive to lower my
        >base weight. The foam pad saves a pound as does an alcohol stove. I've got reasonably
        >light sleeping bags and a fairly light pack. My best shot a losing the next pound and a half
        >(without spending a fortune) is to swap the fly, a pack cover, and a windbreaker for a
        >poncho.

      • bezirk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          I've been out in the rain a few times without ever getting wet in the hammock. The
          ridgeline is the only place I am certain a poncho would be a good replacement. The HH fly
          is 120 inches at the ridge line and the poncho is 119 inches.

          > It can be done with a big enough poncho. Ridgeline length is a big
          > deal, though - the ends of the hammock are the only places I've
          > experienced windblown rain wetting the hammock.
          >

          > Jeff

        • bezirk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            That would to the trick and then some. Its probably out my budget at the moment.
            Although if I was about to embark on a thur hike it would be worth the money.

            Thanks

            dz

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:

              > The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
              > replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
              > is needed.

              I saw this one too. I was leaning towards the only because it was green. How does the
              coverage compare on the sides? Your point is the taken about the rain jacket. I only see
              swapping the poncho for the HH fly, the pack cover, and the windbreaker on short trips
              when there isn't rain in the forecast. If I'm out longer I'll probably have a shell along as an
              extra layer.

              Thanks for the advice.

              dz