RE: [Hammock Camping] On the topic of rope

  • Chinell, David F (GE Infrastructure)
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
      Jamie:

      I think there are two different hammocks called the Travel Hammock. If this is the one mean, then I *have* changed the hanging ropes.

      http://sites.browsermanaged.com/folder16387/index.cfm

      I left the hammock rope in place, removed the S-hook, and substituted two 1-inch rings which I just slipped onto the hammock rope with a larks-head. I used plain 1-inch polyester strapping for tree ropes. The free end of the tree straps passed through the rings like a belt would, and provided easy adjustment.

      See the photos in the Bear's Pix folder.

      BUT I'm sure you could just tie a loop in the end of your tree straps and hook the S-hook through that, then wrap the straps around the tree a-la Speer.

      Bear
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
        Oh duh!! That's a good though Ralph. I have a set already from my HH
        so I'll see how they work. That would also lengthen the rope in case
        I couldn;t find idealy spaced trees.

        Jamie D

        > > So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
        > > have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
        > > problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to
        trees
        > > or breaking at the knots?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > jamie in az
        >
        > Seems it would be easier to buy or make tree huggers, and just hook
        > your existing ropes int them. Hennessy sells them, or you can make a
        > sling with strap.
        >
        > Ralph

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
          Thanks Bill. The trees you mentioned are the more common on which I
          tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
          seems like they might be more easily damaged.

          I think Ralph gave me a nice idea with the HH huggers.

          jamie

          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

          > I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you
          are
          > sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods
          around
          > here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress,
          since
          > their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.
          >
          > But that is just my opinion...
          >
          > Bill in Houston
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
          > > around the trees).

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
            Yes that's the same Travel Hammock. Good idea on the two rings.
            I'll look into that. I was already thinking about a way to get rid
            of the s hooks, hoping to change the 10 oz hammock to maybe a 9 or 8
            ozer. Whoo hooo!

            jamie in AZ

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE

          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
              The trees you mentioned are the more common on which
              > tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
              > seems like they might be more easily damaged.

              I hung on some Bald Cypress trees while on a canoe trip this past
              weekend and left indentions where my straps were wrapped. I hope I
              did not damage the trees.

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                I don't think that anyone would be too upset if you damaged a mesquite
                weed.

                Bill in Houston