Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
      My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
      are:
      Head = 10"
      Shoulder = 28"
      Foot = 20"

      I measured it uninflated.

      Lenny Nichols

    • David Wills
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

        > HI all,
        >
        > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
        > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
        > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
        > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
        > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
        > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
        >
        > Any thoughts appreciated.
        >
        > Aris

        I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
        weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
        a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
        nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
          Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
          overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
          I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
          Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
          have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
          if needed.

          I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
          adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
          know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
          piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

          Jonas