Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
      > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
      > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
      16"
      > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
      inflation/stuff
      > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

      Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
      is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
      hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
      might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
      side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
      have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
      higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
      something to keep in mind.

      Doug Frost
    • Lenny Nichols
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
        My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
        are:
        Head = 10"
        Shoulder = 28"
        Foot = 20"

        I measured it uninflated.

        Lenny Nichols

      • David Wills
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

          > HI all,
          >
          > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
          > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
          > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
          > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
          > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
          > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
          >
          > Any thoughts appreciated.
          >
          > Aris

          I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
          weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
          a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
          nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
        • jonas4321
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
            Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
            overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
            I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
            Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
            have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
            if needed.

            I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
            adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
            know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
            piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

            Jonas