tree-saver webbing straps......

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 2003
      Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch wide
      webbing?

      I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for towing cars.

      Thanks,

      Christina

      Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

      May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

      May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
      May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
      May your Soul be filled with Peace.
      May your Heart be filled with Love.
      May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
      Peace Be With You Always.
      ~~Christina Moon
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 30, 2003
        Message
        Christina, the fabric sources listed on p 117-118 of the book also carry polypro webbing--also read the caution in the book about webbing strength.  I can also supply suitable webbing at $0.50/yd + $4 shipping--you'll need 8 yd for each hammock...Ed

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2003
          Christina,

          I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
          yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
          stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps, which
          would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>

          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
            wrote:
            > Christina,
            >
            > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
            > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
            > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
            which
            > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
            >
            > Rick

            Rick,

            Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If you
            use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply that
            it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
            break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
            attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go with
            something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
            stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
            application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury (and
            then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).

            I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
            different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
            tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would suggest a
            little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in a
            hammock.

            Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your enthusiasm
            and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with an
            analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.

            Youngblood
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2003
              I really appreciate it when someone calls me an enthusiastic
              youngster. You made my day!!!

              It would be wonderful to have specs on the webbing. Unfortunately,
              it is almost never available. Ed and I have had this conversation
              and it usually comes back to the fact that the manufacturer does not
              want to be responsible for guarantees of breaking strength. They
              certainly do NOT want anyone putting their body weight on that
              strap. So getting a clear answer seems impossible.

              I agree with your assessment, yet have gone through a life of WAY
              overengineering things just because I did not know strength... and of
              gradual backing down on the material until a breakage did occur.

              Maybe we should find an easy way to test straps?? Say you want to
              say the strap is safe for 600 pound pull. So you test it to 900 or
              1200 pounds 5-10 times to see it that destroys it??? Let me see,
              what around here weighs that much????? Half my car??? Maybe a big
              fish?? You have any ideas?

              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                Rick,

                I'll give the testing idea some thought. First thought I had was
                tying it off overhead and having several people grab hold and
                gradually let it support their weight. Second thought was to not tie
                off overhead and get couple of people on each end and then gradually
                let it support the weight on both ends. I'll keep thinking about
                it. I'm sure we will gets lots of ideas...some may even make us
                laught.

                Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's next outing
                to determine the tensile strength? :-) We could team up based on the
                type of hammock we use to see who had the strongest hammock lines.

                Youngblood

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
                > > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
                > (and
                > > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
                > >
                > > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
                > > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
                > > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
                suggest
                > > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
                > > hammock.
                > >
                > > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
                > enthusiasm
                > > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
                an
                > > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.

              • Matthew Pulsts
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2003

                  You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in climbing gear.  They will sell webbing of all sorts.  The nice thing about the climbing shop’s webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight bearing specs HAVE to be available.

                  Just a thought…

                  Matt

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                    Matt,

                    Only problem there, if I remember this stuff from my climbing days,
                    is that the climbing webb gear stuff is almost always nylon, not
                    poly. Unfortunately, the nylon stretches too much for hammocks.

                    Rick

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Pulsts"
                    <mvpulsts@e...> wrote:
                    > You might also try locating you local outfitter that deals in
                    climbing gear.
                    > They will sell webbing of all sorts. The nice thing about the
                    climbing
                    > shop's webbing is that it HAS to have been tested and weight
                    bearing specs
                    > HAVE to be available.
                    >

                    > Just a thought.
                    >

                    > Matt

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                    050658
                    > 43:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
                    >

                    > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                    M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupmai

                  • karens62@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                      In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, dpwomble@... writes:

                      > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
                      > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)

                      Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up lying on the ground!

                      I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately). But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

                      Karen
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                        Dave, I'd suggest not tying a knot... the knotting makes the thing
                        much weaker.

                        I like your ideas of testing by people... Similar to my testing of
                        the hammock by tying it up so if I fall I only fall inches.

                        Since I do not have a hydraulic press at my disposal, Let's see...

                        Nice thing about people is they can be moved easily.. they are self
                        moving weights. Easier to get my friend to step on a platform than
                        to put a 200 pound weight there myself.

                        The simplest test I can think of is having two or three people sit on
                        a piece of the webbing tied between two trees like a hammock...
                        Assuming the piece passes, throw it away (or use it for something
                        which is not weight bearing-it may be damaged) and use that type of
                        webbing in the future.

                        Make sure the ground under the testers is soft and that they are good
                        friends with each other. Take pictures!

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                          Hi Karen,

                          Interesting thread you have started here. (da-da-da-boom)

                          I use the all polyester thread sold places like WalMart, 50 cents per
                          500 yards. It was all I have found that did not have a cotton
                          (mercanized) cover.

                          I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.

                          I do use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
                          (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
                          come forward again. It ends up looking just like the sewing in a
                          GoLite pack.

                          Rick

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
                          > In a message dated 5/1/2003 8:27:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          dpwomble@y... writes:

                          > > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's
                          > > next outing to determine the tensile strength? :-)
                          >
                          > Just don't let me sew the hand holds on the straps or you'll end up
                          lying on the ground!

                          > I was recently a "victim" of strap failure, not because of the
                          webbing strenght, but because of the thread I used to sew the webbing
                          together behind the knot. I knew better, but I used old cheap
                          polyester thread instead of high quality thread and my butt met the
                          ground unexpectedly. I was fine. No broken teeth and the only thing
                          possibly wounded was my pride (which has taken lots of hits lately).
                          But, since no one saw it and Ed has only teased me about it a half
                          dozen times, I survived. It could have been much worse. Whatever
                          cheap materials you find and test, spring for the expensive thread :)

                          > Karen
                        • uluheman
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                            Christina--

                            Check hardware stores, sail makers, and marine supply stores for
                            webbing. If you're inland, I assume there must be boating stores with
                            similar gear. There's an outfit here in Honolulu called West Marine,
                            which I think must be a national chain. They have a marvellous
                            selection of very strong and light cordage and webbing. Also, I get
                            all the stuff to make tents and hammocks from Outdoor Wilderness
                            Fabrics, as others have stated here.

                            Brandon in Honolulu

                            wrote:
                            > Where does one find the low-memory-stretch polypropylene 1" inch
                            wide
                            > webbing?
                            >
                            > I looked in WalMart and all they have has hooks on the ends for
                            towing cars.

                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Christina
                            >
                            > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
                            >
                            > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
                            >
                            > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
                            > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
                            > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
                            > May your Heart be filled with Love.
                            > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
                            > Peace Be With You Always.
                            > ~~Christina Moon
                          • colonelcorn76
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                              OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
                              weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
                              thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
                              webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
                              a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
                              webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
                              something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
                              known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
                              everywhere).

                              When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
                              side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
                              any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
                              up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
                              safe from random webbing failures.

                              If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
                              silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
                              to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

                              Jim

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Christina,
                              > >
                              > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
                              > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
                              > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
                              > which
                              > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
                              > >
                              > > Rick
                              > >

                              > Rick,
                              >
                              > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
                              you
                              > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
                              that
                              > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
                              > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
                              > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
                              with
                              > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
                              > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
                              > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
                              (and
                              > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
                              >
                              > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
                              > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
                              > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
                              suggest a
                              > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
                              > hammock.
                              >
                              > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
                              enthusiasm
                              > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
                              an
                              > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
                              >
                              > Youngblood
                            • Matt Pulsts
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 1, 2003
                                true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

                                Just an idea if you cant find poly...