Re: [Hammock Camping] On the topic of rope

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2006
      > So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
      > have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
      > problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to trees
      > or breaking at the knots?
      >
      > Thanks
      > jamie in az

      Seems it would be easier to buy or make tree huggers, and just hook
      your existing ropes int them. Hennessy sells them, or you can make a
      sling with strap.

      Ralph
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
        I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you are
        sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods around
        here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress, since
        their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.

        But that is just my opinion...

        Bill in Houston

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
          bill... i have to question that advice somewhat my friend. i can`t help but think that we will cause ourself (hammockers) more problems if we`re not careful about the hanging methods we suggest. i understand what your saying, but i know that we would run into a lot of controversy & misunderstanding about which trees will not be damaged by ropes. not only by the hammock users, but also the people who manage the parks & forests. and in some areas, hammockers may at times find themselfs choosing between differant types of trees (those w/ tougher barks & those w/ more easly damaged bark) & the best choice for hanging a hammock for the night may include one or two trees that i wouldn`t want to hang from by a rope. HEY!!!... that didn`t sound right... i don`t want to swing from any tree from a rope! :~} anyway... i`m just suggesting that we may promote hammocking better if we suggest hanging methods that are going to be less subject to aurgument. thanks....tim/slowhike

          Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote: I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you are
          sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods around
          here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress, since
          their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.

          But that is just my opinion...

          Bill in Houston

          > I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
          > around the trees).

          tim garner

        • Chinell, David F (GE Infrastructure)
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
            Jamie:

            I think there are two different hammocks called the Travel Hammock. If this is the one mean, then I *have* changed the hanging ropes.

            http://sites.browsermanaged.com/folder16387/index.cfm

            I left the hammock rope in place, removed the S-hook, and substituted two 1-inch rings which I just slipped onto the hammock rope with a larks-head. I used plain 1-inch polyester strapping for tree ropes. The free end of the tree straps passed through the rings like a belt would, and provided easy adjustment.

            See the photos in the Bear's Pix folder.

            BUT I'm sure you could just tie a loop in the end of your tree straps and hook the S-hook through that, then wrap the straps around the tree a-la Speer.

            Bear
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
              Oh duh!! That's a good though Ralph. I have a set already from my HH
              so I'll see how they work. That would also lengthen the rope in case
              I couldn;t find idealy spaced trees.

              Jamie D

              > > So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
              > > have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
              > > problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to
              trees
              > > or breaking at the knots?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > jamie in az
              >
              > Seems it would be easier to buy or make tree huggers, and just hook
              > your existing ropes int them. Hennessy sells them, or you can make a
              > sling with strap.
              >
              > Ralph

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                Thanks Bill. The trees you mentioned are the more common on which I
                tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
                seems like they might be more easily damaged.

                I think Ralph gave me a nice idea with the HH huggers.

                jamie

                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                > I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you
                are
                > sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods
                around
                > here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress,
                since
                > their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.
                >
                > But that is just my opinion...
                >
                > Bill in Houston
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
                > > around the trees).

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Yes that's the same Travel Hammock. Good idea on the two rings.
                  I'll look into that. I was already thinking about a way to get rid
                  of the s hooks, hoping to change the 10 oz hammock to maybe a 9 or 8
                  ozer. Whoo hooo!

                  jamie in AZ

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE

                • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                    The trees you mentioned are the more common on which
                    > tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
                    > seems like they might be more easily damaged.

                    I hung on some Bald Cypress trees while on a canoe trip this past
                    weekend and left indentions where my straps were wrapped. I hope I
                    did not damage the trees.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK
                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                      I don't think that anyone would be too upset if you damaged a mesquite
                      weed.

                      Bill in Houston