On the topic of rope

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2006
      For my birthday my wonderfully intelligent and keen husband gave me
      a Ultralight Travel Hammock. I normally use a Hennessy so playing
      around with an open hammock was fun and interesting today.

      I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
      around the trees). I'm used to using flat straps that come with the
      HH but the Travel Hammock is using a thinner braided line with three
      knots placed along it at various lengths.

      I just read Dave W's comments regarding ropes on the AT and now I'm
      concerned Travel Hammock's ropes might provide a higher potential
      for tree damage. I'm also concerned that I might find myslef in a
      situation where the ropes just aren't long enough since they are a
      set length. Additionally, I know from reading some of the other
      comments here recently about ropes failing that the knots. This is
      disconcerning to me since the knots along the attachement ropes are
      what the hammock S hook attaches to.

      So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
      have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
      problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to trees
      or breaking at the knots?

      Thanks
      jamie in az
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2006
        > So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
        > have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
        > problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to trees
        > or breaking at the knots?
        >
        > Thanks
        > jamie in az

        Seems it would be easier to buy or make tree huggers, and just hook
        your existing ropes int them. Hennessy sells them, or you can make a
        sling with strap.

        Ralph
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
          I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you are
          sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods around
          here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress, since
          their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.

          But that is just my opinion...

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
            bill... i have to question that advice somewhat my friend. i can`t help but think that we will cause ourself (hammockers) more problems if we`re not careful about the hanging methods we suggest. i understand what your saying, but i know that we would run into a lot of controversy & misunderstanding about which trees will not be damaged by ropes. not only by the hammock users, but also the people who manage the parks & forests. and in some areas, hammockers may at times find themselfs choosing between differant types of trees (those w/ tougher barks & those w/ more easly damaged bark) & the best choice for hanging a hammock for the night may include one or two trees that i wouldn`t want to hang from by a rope. HEY!!!... that didn`t sound right... i don`t want to swing from any tree from a rope! :~} anyway... i`m just suggesting that we may promote hammocking better if we suggest hanging methods that are going to be less subject to aurgument. thanks....tim/slowhike

            Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote: I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you are
            sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods around
            here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress, since
            their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.

            But that is just my opinion...

            Bill in Houston

            > I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
            > around the trees).

            tim garner

          • Chinell, David F (GE Infrastructure)
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
              Jamie:

              I think there are two different hammocks called the Travel Hammock. If this is the one mean, then I *have* changed the hanging ropes.

              http://sites.browsermanaged.com/folder16387/index.cfm

              I left the hammock rope in place, removed the S-hook, and substituted two 1-inch rings which I just slipped onto the hammock rope with a larks-head. I used plain 1-inch polyester strapping for tree ropes. The free end of the tree straps passed through the rings like a belt would, and provided easy adjustment.

              See the photos in the Bear's Pix folder.

              BUT I'm sure you could just tie a loop in the end of your tree straps and hook the S-hook through that, then wrap the straps around the tree a-la Speer.

              Bear
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                Oh duh!! That's a good though Ralph. I have a set already from my HH
                so I'll see how they work. That would also lengthen the rope in case
                I couldn;t find idealy spaced trees.

                Jamie D

                > > So I'm wondering if there are any Travel HAmmock users out ther who
                > > have changed ropes and how did that go? Also, has anyone had a
                > > problem with the type of rope on the hammock causing damage to
                trees
                > > or breaking at the knots?
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > jamie in az
                >
                > Seems it would be easier to buy or make tree huggers, and just hook
                > your existing ropes int them. Hennessy sells them, or you can make a
                > sling with strap.
                >
                > Ralph

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Thanks Bill. The trees you mentioned are the more common on which I
                  tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
                  seems like they might be more easily damaged.

                  I think Ralph gave me a nice idea with the HH huggers.

                  jamie

                  <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                  > I would not worry unless you hang on some sort of tree that you
                  are
                  > sure is especially delicate. The pines and oaks and cottonwoods
                  around
                  > here seem like they can take a hammock rope without any stress,
                  since
                  > their bark is 3/8 to 1" thick and very stiff.
                  >
                  > But that is just my opinion...
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm concerned about the attachment ropes (the ones that would go
                  > > around the trees).

                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Yes that's the same Travel Hammock. Good idea on the two rings.
                    I'll look into that. I was already thinking about a way to get rid
                    of the s hooks, hoping to change the 10 oz hammock to maybe a 9 or 8
                    ozer. Whoo hooo!

                    jamie in AZ

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE

                  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                      The trees you mentioned are the more common on which
                      > tie to but I also have hung from mesquites and palo verdes and it
                      > seems like they might be more easily damaged.

                      I hung on some Bald Cypress trees while on a canoe trip this past
                      weekend and left indentions where my straps were wrapped. I hope I
                      did not damage the trees.

                      Brian
                      T-BACK
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 5, 2006
                        I don't think that anyone would be too upset if you damaged a mesquite
                        weed.

                        Bill in Houston