Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
      You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
      of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
      4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
      surfaces.

      > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
      mine
      > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
      the
      > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
      16"
      > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
      inflation/stuff
      > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Lenny and Paris-
      > >
      > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
      dimensions
      > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
      tough to
      > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
      > >
      > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
      extender
      > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
      pads
      > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
      create
      > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

    • Aris Dennis
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        HI all,

        I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
        haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
        Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
        around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
        layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
        I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

        Any thoughts appreciated.

        Aris

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • keng
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hello,

          i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
          hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
          be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

          Cheers
          keng

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
          wrote:

          > HI all,
          >
          > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
          > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
          > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
          > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
          > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
          > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
          >
          > Any thoughts appreciated.
          >
          > Aris

          > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          > dsl.yahoo.com

        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
            > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
            > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
            16"
            > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
            inflation/stuff
            > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

            Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
            is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
            hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
            might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
            side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
            have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
            higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
            something to keep in mind.

            Doug Frost
          • Lenny Nichols
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
              My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
              are:
              Head = 10"
              Shoulder = 28"
              Foot = 20"

              I measured it uninflated.

              Lenny Nichols

            • David Wills
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                > HI all,
                >
                > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                >
                > Any thoughts appreciated.
                >
                > Aris

                I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
              • jonas4321
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                  overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                  I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                  Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                  have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                  if needed.

                  I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                  adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                  know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                  piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                  Jonas