Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
      handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
      head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
      wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
      sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
        You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
        of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
        4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
        surfaces.

        > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
        mine
        > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
        the
        > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
        16"
        > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
        inflation/stuff
        > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Lenny and Paris-
        > >
        > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
        dimensions
        > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
        tough to
        > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
        > >
        > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
        extender
        > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
        pads
        > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
        create
        > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

      • Aris Dennis
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          HI all,

          I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
          haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
          Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
          around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
          layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
          I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

          Any thoughts appreciated.

          Aris

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • keng
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            Hello,

            i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
            hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
            be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

            Cheers
            keng

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
            wrote:

            > HI all,
            >
            > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
            > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
            > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
            > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
            > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
            > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
            >
            > Any thoughts appreciated.
            >
            > Aris

            > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            > dsl.yahoo.com

          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
              > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
              > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
              16"
              > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
              inflation/stuff
              > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

              Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
              is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
              hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
              might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
              side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
              have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
              higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
              something to keep in mind.

              Doug Frost
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                are:
                Head = 10"
                Shoulder = 28"
                Foot = 20"

                I measured it uninflated.

                Lenny Nichols

              • David Wills
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                  > HI all,
                  >
                  > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                  > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                  > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                  > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                  > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                  > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                  >
                  > Any thoughts appreciated.
                  >
                  > Aris

                  I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                  weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                  a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                  nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                • jonas4321
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                    overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                    I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                    Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                    have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                    if needed.

                    I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                    adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                    know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                    piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                    Jonas