Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      Lenny and Paris-

      For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
      at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
      know from the picture how much taper there is).

      Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
      to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
      between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
      "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
        handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
        head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
        wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
        sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
          You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
          of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
          4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
          surfaces.

          > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
          mine
          > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
          the
          > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
          16"
          > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
          inflation/stuff
          > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Lenny and Paris-
          > >
          > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
          dimensions
          > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
          tough to
          > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
          > >
          > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
          extender
          > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
          pads
          > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
          create
          > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

        • Aris Dennis
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            HI all,

            I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
            haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
            Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
            around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
            layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
            I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

            Any thoughts appreciated.

            Aris

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • keng
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              Hello,

              i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
              hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
              be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

              Cheers
              keng

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
              wrote:

              > HI all,
              >
              > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
              > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
              > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
              > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
              > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
              > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
              >
              > Any thoughts appreciated.
              >
              > Aris

              > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              > dsl.yahoo.com

            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                16"
                > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                inflation/stuff
                > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                something to keep in mind.

                Doug Frost
              • Lenny Nichols
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                  My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                  are:
                  Head = 10"
                  Shoulder = 28"
                  Foot = 20"

                  I measured it uninflated.

                  Lenny Nichols

                • David Wills
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                    > HI all,
                    >
                    > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                    > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                    > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                    > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                    > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                    > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                    >
                    > Any thoughts appreciated.
                    >
                    > Aris

                    I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                    weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                    a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                    nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                  • jonas4321
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                      overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                      I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                      Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                      have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                      if needed.

                      I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                      adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                      know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                      piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                      Jonas