RE: Hammock Camping thanks Ed, we'll be dangling in Belize next week

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 3:49 PM
      Message
      JB, you are right to be worried about tropical heat and humidity problems in solid fabric hammocks. Breathable fabrics are certainly called for. Your HH will probably work fine below about 80F, may be a bit clamy in hotter temps...Ed

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 7:40 PM
        > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
        > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
        > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity

        Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give you some
        tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the high 70s
        and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...

        Tip #1: Sleep nude.

        Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve ventilation. If
        no rain is expected, remove the fly.

        Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled with cool
        water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude body, the
        netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative cooling
        that can be very refreshing.

        If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict that you
        will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody who might
        be sleeping on the ground near you.

        Shane
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30 8:29 PM
          Shane's advice is excellent.

          I have occasionally drifted off into a several hour stay in my hot
          tub, which I usually keep at about 95 degrees. After any prolonged
          stay in the tub, just a couple degrees below body temperature, I
          start to get cold. This is because there is effective conduction of
          heat from my body to the hot tub water.

          In the hammock, you can have effective transfer of heat through a
          single layer of nylon directly against the skin and through the skin
          if it is not protected by insulation of clothing.

          If the air temperature is above body temperature, you will have to do
          some evaporative cooling to allow your body to adjust to the
          environmental stress. The evaporative cooling can be sweat or
          Shane's mister.

          Let us know how you do!

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
          wrote:
          > > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
          > > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
          > > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity
          >
          > Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give
          you some
          > tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the
          high 70s
          > and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...
          >
          > Tip #1: Sleep nude.
          >
          > Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve
          ventilation. If
          > no rain is expected, remove the fly.
          >
          > Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled
          with cool
          > water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude
          body, the
          > netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative
          cooling
          > that can be very refreshing.
          >
          > If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict
          that you
          > will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody
          who might
          > be sleeping on the ground near you.
          >
          > Shane
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2003
            JB
            I have slept in just a Jag Bag silk bag linner on some hot nites
            here in Bama. But fact is I still felt a little cool on my
            backside. Your jungle trip will undoubably be even warmer but still
            you are probably used to sleeping on a thick mattress at home with
            little or no cover on top. I do run my ac in hot weather so it is
            not like outside. But for some reason being used to a thick matress
            at home translates into feeling cool when I dont have any insulation
            under me in my hammock. I went to Tenn. last summer with just a
            sheet. I ended up freezing on a 70 degree nite and yes I put on all
            my clothes, just nylon shorts and a nylon short sleeve shirt (both
            by Rem-Lite)

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "busterx32000"