Re: Hammock made for 2

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
      Spent a few hours in the hammock with my 71 lb son after he had a
      nightmare. I do not recommend it. It was a cold night, so my/our
      sleeping positions were limited and my hip was eventually hurting a lot.

      I think that it could be even trickier in a Hennessy, what with trying
      to get thru the hole, close it, not touch the net, etc.

      I like the looks of risk's solutions.

      If you make it work, let us know, though. It seems to me that a Speer
      type with wide fabric and extra length and some thought on how the ends
      are gathered might be workable. I'd make it at least 2 or 3 feet
      longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hooker"
      <andrewhooker59@y...> wrote:

      > G'day all.
      > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
      > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
      > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
      > (160kg's total - 352lbs).

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
        <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
        > longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

        I gather my ends in a W shape. It changes how I lay in it a bit
        (offer some support under my knee, preventing some of the locked leg
        feeling), but I don't think it's enough for another person to be
        comfortable in it. Maybe if the centerline was cut shorter, or pulled
        tight before whipping (instead of the sides), it might be workable.

        FWIW, I'm pretty sure the HH is folded into a W, then the bottoms of
        the W are rolled towards the center before the ends are secured. But
        I'm not going to take mine apart to prove it!

        Jeff
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
          This whole issue is certainly a problem for many. I
          am one who can say that the HH Safari does work for my
          wife and I. True it is a bit difficult to get in
          (tip, she and I get in together, otherwise there is a
          lot of tension on the slit), but there does seem to be
          enough room for us (she is 5'3, I am about 5'11). We
          are most likely an exception however, in that we often
          sleep holding one another all night, and don't
          normally get up in the evening for the restroom. Also
          I should mention we sleep on our sides in a spooning
          arrangement. It has worked for us fine, though I also
          must add that she does not camp with me all that
          often.

          If you two can sleep without moving, and if you can be
          comfortable in each other's arms all night, then the
          Safari is probably as good as solution as it will get.
          If on the other hand you cannot honestly say you
          sleep like we do, do the Risk thing and hang two in
          close proximity. Hope this helps anyway, and feel
          free to ask any other questions if you are thinking of
          trying it.

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
            I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
            pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape, pull
            the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W shape
            (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
            Jeff).

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

              > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
              > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
              pull
              > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
              shape
              > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
              > Jeff).

              Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the best
              results.

              Jeff
            • Bryan
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                several weeks ago i asked this same question and got all the same
                answers that you are getting. The "W" shaped idea is a new one.
                However, because my girlfriend and i seem to be all over the place
                when we sleep. i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.

                we can lay in any position we choose and not disturb the other
                person. our faces could be 3" away from each other if we wanted and i
                could wrap my arm around her if i wanted. when we woke up, we were in
                totally different positions.

                she said she is never tent camping again! it was the best sleep she
                has gotten while camping.

                there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                i got the idea from someone else.

                Bryan

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of
                only
                > > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                > pull
                > > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                > shape
                > > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last
                statement,
                > > Jeff).
                >
                > Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the
                best
                > results.
                >
                > Jeff

              • Fuzzy
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...> wrote:

                  > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                  > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                  > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                  > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                  >
                  > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                  > i got the idea from someone else.

                  Bryan,

                  Where exactly is the photo?

                  Fuzzy
                • seuss910
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                    Is that Youngblood's Sidecar setup?

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...>
                    wrote:

                    > > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                    > > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size
                    stick
                    > > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                    > > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                    > >
                    > > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking
                    about.
                    > > i got the idea from someone else.
                    >
                    > Bryan,
                    >
                    > Where exactly is the photo?
                    >
                    > Fuzzy

                  • Bryan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
                      the "strut" setup i found is located in the Photo area of this
                      website.

                      look under the folder Youngblood\Sidecar. this works really well.
                      the only thing it does is when someone get out the other person , who
                      is still in the hammock, lowers towards the ground. sorta like a
                      seesaw effect. you don't hit the ground though. you drop about a foot
                      in height. when they get back in, it balances out.

                      hope this helps.

                      Bryan