Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
      I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
      Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

      Lenny Nichols

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
        > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
        > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
        > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
        > experienced this problem above freezing.

        Jeff,

        Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
        comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
        twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
        realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
        medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

        I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

        Thanks for your comments!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          Lenny and Paris-

          For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
          at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
          know from the picture how much taper there is).

          Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
          to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
          between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
          "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
            handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
            head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
            wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
            sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
              You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
              of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
              4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
              surfaces.

              > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
              mine
              > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
              the
              > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
              16"
              > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
              inflation/stuff
              > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Lenny and Paris-
              > >
              > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
              dimensions
              > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
              tough to
              > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
              > >
              > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
              extender
              > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
              pads
              > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
              create
              > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

            • Aris Dennis
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                HI all,

                I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                Any thoughts appreciated.

                Aris

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • keng
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Hello,

                  i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                  hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                  be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                  Cheers
                  keng

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > HI all,
                  >
                  > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                  > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                  > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                  > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                  > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                  > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                  >
                  > Any thoughts appreciated.
                  >
                  > Aris

                  > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  > dsl.yahoo.com

                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                    > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                    > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                    16"
                    > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                    inflation/stuff
                    > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                    Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                    is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                    hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                    might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                    side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                    have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                    higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                    something to keep in mind.

                    Doug Frost
                  • Lenny Nichols
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                      My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                      are:
                      Head = 10"
                      Shoulder = 28"
                      Foot = 20"

                      I measured it uninflated.

                      Lenny Nichols

                    • David Wills
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                        > HI all,
                        >
                        > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                        > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                        > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                        > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                        > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                        > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                        >
                        > Any thoughts appreciated.
                        >
                        > Aris

                        I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                        weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                        a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                        nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                      • jonas4321
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                          Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                          overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                          I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                          Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                          have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                          if needed.

                          I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                          adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                          know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                          piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                          Jonas