Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • togetherinparis
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      Warmlite is mummy-shaped, with greater loft than the Exped 9 Delux, wider where it
      counts, and 17 ounces lighter. It's a no-brainer. With the Warmlight down air mattress
      you can be really comfortable on a shelter floor, if necessary, and warm, to boot.
      Stephenson's has been making down air mats for decades & have the kinks out, for the
      most part. (You still have to seam-seal the pump-sack.) For instance, they know what
      causes ultra-slow leaks & what needs to be done. Their products are great.
      However, the Stephensons warmlite website, www.warmlite.com, is the Soup Nazi: naked,
      stupid, and slow. Public frontal nudity is family tradition at Stephenson's. I am perfectly
      serious. His own mother glows buck buck on the front page! And if the convoluted &
      breathless "explanations" of an ultra-stupid yankee suit you, it's a hoot. Orders are with
      writen paper check only, delivered by snail mail only, and you must telephone repeatedly
      to get that far, all followed by suspense for a SEASON before delivery. Wait, it gets worse!
      There is no retail, anywhere, so you're stuck in the Twilight Zone permanently if you buy
      from them.
      Meanwhile, their products are great, inspired, even. One pictures a village of the naked
      hippy damned living as nomads in excellent tents: sex and sewing, sewing and sex, sex
      and sewing, sewing & sex...
    • Lenny Nichols
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
        I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
        Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

        Lenny Nichols

      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
          > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
          > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
          > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
          > experienced this problem above freezing.

          Jeff,

          Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
          comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
          twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
          realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
          medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

          I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

          Thanks for your comments!

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • jonas4321
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            Lenny and Paris-

            For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
            at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
            know from the picture how much taper there is).

            Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
            to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
            between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
            "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
              handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
              head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
              wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
              sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
                You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
                of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
                4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
                surfaces.

                > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
                mine
                > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
                the
                > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                16"
                > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                inflation/stuff
                > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Lenny and Paris-
                > >
                > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
                dimensions
                > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
                tough to
                > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
                > >
                > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
                extender
                > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
                pads
                > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
                create
                > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

              • Aris Dennis
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  HI all,

                  I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                  haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                  Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                  around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                  layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                  I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                  Any thoughts appreciated.

                  Aris

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • keng
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Hello,

                    i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                    hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                    be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                    Cheers
                    keng

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > HI all,
                    >
                    > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                    > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                    > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                    > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                    > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                    > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                    >
                    > Any thoughts appreciated.
                    >
                    > Aris

                    > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    > dsl.yahoo.com

                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                      > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                      > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                      16"
                      > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                      inflation/stuff
                      > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                      Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                      is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                      hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                      might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                      side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                      have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                      higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                      something to keep in mind.

                      Doug Frost
                    • Lenny Nichols
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                        My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                        are:
                        Head = 10"
                        Shoulder = 28"
                        Foot = 20"

                        I measured it uninflated.

                        Lenny Nichols

                      • David Wills
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                          > HI all,
                          >
                          > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                          > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                          > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                          > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                          > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                          > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                          >
                          > Any thoughts appreciated.
                          >
                          > Aris

                          I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                          weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                          a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                          nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                        • jonas4321
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                            Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                            overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                            I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                            Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                            have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                            if needed.

                            I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                            adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                            know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                            piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                            Jonas