Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
      wrote:
      > I thought I had just hit one
      > of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
      > happened TWICE during the night.

      I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
      hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
      an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
      When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
      experienced this problem above freezing.

      > With two incidents
      > and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a
      response
      > from Exped.

      I have an email into them already...I figure it'll take a few days
      to get a response, but we'll see. Might help if everyone who has
      experienced this sends one, also. Mine went to heidi at exped dot
      com...she's the boss of product management or something like that.

      Jeff
    • togetherinparis
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        Warmlite is mummy-shaped, with greater loft than the Exped 9 Delux, wider where it
        counts, and 17 ounces lighter. It's a no-brainer. With the Warmlight down air mattress
        you can be really comfortable on a shelter floor, if necessary, and warm, to boot.
        Stephenson's has been making down air mats for decades & have the kinks out, for the
        most part. (You still have to seam-seal the pump-sack.) For instance, they know what
        causes ultra-slow leaks & what needs to be done. Their products are great.
        However, the Stephensons warmlite website, www.warmlite.com, is the Soup Nazi: naked,
        stupid, and slow. Public frontal nudity is family tradition at Stephenson's. I am perfectly
        serious. His own mother glows buck buck on the front page! And if the convoluted &
        breathless "explanations" of an ultra-stupid yankee suit you, it's a hoot. Orders are with
        writen paper check only, delivered by snail mail only, and you must telephone repeatedly
        to get that far, all followed by suspense for a SEASON before delivery. Wait, it gets worse!
        There is no retail, anywhere, so you're stuck in the Twilight Zone permanently if you buy
        from them.
        Meanwhile, their products are great, inspired, even. One pictures a village of the naked
        hippy damned living as nomads in excellent tents: sex and sewing, sewing and sex, sex
        and sewing, sewing & sex...
      • Lenny Nichols
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
          I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
          Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

          Lenny Nichols

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
            > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
            > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
            > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
            > experienced this problem above freezing.

            Jeff,

            Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
            comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
            twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
            realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
            medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

            I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

            Thanks for your comments!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • jonas4321
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              Lenny and Paris-

              For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
              at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
              know from the picture how much taper there is).

              Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
              to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
              between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
              "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
                handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
                wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
                sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
                  You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
                  of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
                  4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
                  surfaces.

                  > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
                  mine
                  > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
                  the
                  > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                  16"
                  > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                  inflation/stuff
                  > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Lenny and Paris-
                  > >
                  > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
                  dimensions
                  > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
                  tough to
                  > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
                  > >
                  > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
                  extender
                  > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
                  pads
                  > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
                  create
                  > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                • Aris Dennis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    HI all,

                    I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                    haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                    Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                    around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                    layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                    I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                    Any thoughts appreciated.

                    Aris

                    Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                    dsl.yahoo.com
                  • keng
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Hello,

                      i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                      hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                      be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                      Cheers
                      keng

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > HI all,
                      >
                      > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                      > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                      > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                      > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                      > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                      > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                      >
                      > Any thoughts appreciated.
                      >
                      > Aris

                      > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      > dsl.yahoo.com

                    • dlfrost_1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                        > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                        > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                        16"
                        > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                        inflation/stuff
                        > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                        Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                        is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                        hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                        might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                        side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                        have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                        higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                        something to keep in mind.

                        Doug Frost
                      • Lenny Nichols
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                          My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                          are:
                          Head = 10"
                          Shoulder = 28"
                          Foot = 20"

                          I measured it uninflated.

                          Lenny Nichols

                        • David Wills
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                            > HI all,
                            >
                            > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                            > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                            > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                            > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                            > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                            > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                            >
                            > Any thoughts appreciated.
                            >
                            > Aris

                            I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                            weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                            a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                            nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                          • jonas4321
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                              Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                              overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                              I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                              Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                              have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                              if needed.

                              I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                              adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                              know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                              piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                              Jonas