Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
      > I don't care if I can fit the DAM in between the layers, I will be
      > putting CCF pads in there (I am going for 0*F and lower). I envision
      > the DAM being in the hammock with me. I am certain (at this point,
      > anyway) that I don't want an underquilt, as weight is not my primary
      > concern.

      Jonas, I just re-read the above... I don't think you will need the
      ccf pads. Purchase or make an SPE. Because the hammock will tend to
      "wall" you in (Think the letter "U"), your knees/elbows get cold
      against the sides when you toss & turn or side-sleep. If you are not
      familiar with the SPE, take a look at Mr. Speer's site. BTW, the SPE
      is designed to hold the *** 20" **** wide pads. Wider than that will
      be problematic in the hammock causing you to be way too high.

      > I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
      > feedback on that.

      The FIRST time, it took 15 or more bags-of-air. Since then, I have it
      "firm" in 5 or 6 puffs.

      > In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

      See above. I think you will have some problems with the wider 26"
      version. What kind of hammock are you using...? Try putting a rigid
      piece of cardboard in there that is 26" wide and I think you will see
      what I am saying.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
        wrote:
        > I thought I had just hit one
        > of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
        > happened TWICE during the night.

        I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
        hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
        an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
        When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
        experienced this problem above freezing.

        > With two incidents
        > and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a
        response
        > from Exped.

        I have an email into them already...I figure it'll take a few days
        to get a response, but we'll see. Might help if everyone who has
        experienced this sends one, also. Mine went to heidi at exped dot
        com...she's the boss of product management or something like that.

        Jeff
      • togetherinparis
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          Warmlite is mummy-shaped, with greater loft than the Exped 9 Delux, wider where it
          counts, and 17 ounces lighter. It's a no-brainer. With the Warmlight down air mattress
          you can be really comfortable on a shelter floor, if necessary, and warm, to boot.
          Stephenson's has been making down air mats for decades & have the kinks out, for the
          most part. (You still have to seam-seal the pump-sack.) For instance, they know what
          causes ultra-slow leaks & what needs to be done. Their products are great.
          However, the Stephensons warmlite website, www.warmlite.com, is the Soup Nazi: naked,
          stupid, and slow. Public frontal nudity is family tradition at Stephenson's. I am perfectly
          serious. His own mother glows buck buck on the front page! And if the convoluted &
          breathless "explanations" of an ultra-stupid yankee suit you, it's a hoot. Orders are with
          writen paper check only, delivered by snail mail only, and you must telephone repeatedly
          to get that far, all followed by suspense for a SEASON before delivery. Wait, it gets worse!
          There is no retail, anywhere, so you're stuck in the Twilight Zone permanently if you buy
          from them.
          Meanwhile, their products are great, inspired, even. One pictures a village of the naked
          hippy damned living as nomads in excellent tents: sex and sewing, sewing and sex, sex
          and sewing, sewing & sex...
        • Lenny Nichols
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
            I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
            Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

            Lenny Nichols

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
              > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
              > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
              > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
              > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
              > experienced this problem above freezing.

              Jeff,

              Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
              comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
              twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
              realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
              medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

              I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

              Thanks for your comments!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • jonas4321
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                Lenny and Paris-

                For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
                at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
                know from the picture how much taper there is).

                Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
                to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
                between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
                "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
                  handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                  head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
                  wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
                  sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
                    You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
                    of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
                    4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
                    surfaces.

                    > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
                    mine
                    > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
                    the
                    > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                    16"
                    > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                    inflation/stuff
                    > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Lenny and Paris-
                    > >
                    > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
                    dimensions
                    > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
                    tough to
                    > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
                    > >
                    > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
                    extender
                    > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
                    pads
                    > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
                    create
                    > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                  • Aris Dennis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                      HI all,

                      I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                      haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                      Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                      around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                      layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                      I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                      Any thoughts appreciated.

                      Aris

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • keng
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Hello,

                        i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                        hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                        be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                        Cheers
                        keng

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > HI all,
                        >
                        > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                        > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                        > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                        > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                        > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                        > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                        >
                        > Any thoughts appreciated.
                        >
                        > Aris

                        > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        > dsl.yahoo.com

                      • dlfrost_1
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                          > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                          > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                          16"
                          > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                          inflation/stuff
                          > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                          Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                          is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                          hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                          might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                          side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                          have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                          higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                          something to keep in mind.

                          Doug Frost
                        • Lenny Nichols
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                            My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                            are:
                            Head = 10"
                            Shoulder = 28"
                            Foot = 20"

                            I measured it uninflated.

                            Lenny Nichols

                          • David Wills
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                              > HI all,
                              >
                              > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                              > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                              > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                              > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                              > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                              > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                              >
                              > Any thoughts appreciated.
                              >
                              > Aris

                              I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                              weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                              a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                              nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                            • jonas4321
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                                overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                                I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                                Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                                have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                                if needed.

                                I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                                adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                                know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                                piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                                Jonas