Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
      > wrote:
      > > Does anyone have experience with the Exped and/or the Warmlite?
      ...<snip>...
      > I suggest getting the regular Downmat 7 and using Ed Speer's
      > Segmented Pad Extender with it. (The SPE "wings" provide the
      > shoulder protection, allowing use of regular-width pads. The 8x
      > version is for winter use.) It will weigh less, be less bulky to
      > pack, and is more flexible to set up for different tempratures.

      Yes. I agree with Doug's comments above. I have been using the Exped
      Downmat 7 (long) with the SPE and it is GREAT!!!! I have been too
      warm at 14F - meaning that I had to get OUT of my 5F slpg. bag and
      just throw it over me as a top blanket. For Springer, I used Mr.
      Speer's "FrogSac" as a top blanket and I was toasty!

      Fabric: Top is non-slippery and kinda like fleece in wicking. Bottom
      is also non-slippery

      I use it INSIDE a Speer and it does allow you to ride a bit "higher"
      and it causes the Speer to "wrap" around you a bit - thus the SPE.

      No experience with the Warmlite. Co$t steered me to the Exped.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
        <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
        > I also have experienced the Downmat7 loosing air slowly.
        ...<snip>...
        > I am very satisfied with the
        > comfort and warmth of this product... it is near perfect. If the
        > slow leak issue was solvable it would be perfect.
        > Richard
        ...<snip>...
        > > the deflation problem is something I'd like to figure out.
        > > Jeff

        Well... Well... Well....!!!

        "Perhaps"... "Maybe"... I just experienced this on Springer....?

        Because of the "celebrations"...<g>..., I thought I had just hit one
        of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
        happened TWICE during the night.

        I was *NOT* awake enough to think about turning it to put the valves
        near my head... It was NOT a matter of the colder air, it was a total
        loss of air/inflation.

        This was the 7th or 8th time I have used the Exped without ANY
        problems. As Richard says above: "I am very satisfied with the
        comfort and warmth of this product... it is near perfect"

        I will be testing in the back yard over the next couple weeks. I
        would appreciate anything else you folks discover. With two incidents
        and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a response
        from Exped.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
          > I don't care if I can fit the DAM in between the layers, I will be
          > putting CCF pads in there (I am going for 0*F and lower). I envision
          > the DAM being in the hammock with me. I am certain (at this point,
          > anyway) that I don't want an underquilt, as weight is not my primary
          > concern.

          Jonas, I just re-read the above... I don't think you will need the
          ccf pads. Purchase or make an SPE. Because the hammock will tend to
          "wall" you in (Think the letter "U"), your knees/elbows get cold
          against the sides when you toss & turn or side-sleep. If you are not
          familiar with the SPE, take a look at Mr. Speer's site. BTW, the SPE
          is designed to hold the *** 20" **** wide pads. Wider than that will
          be problematic in the hammock causing you to be way too high.

          > I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
          > feedback on that.

          The FIRST time, it took 15 or more bags-of-air. Since then, I have it
          "firm" in 5 or 6 puffs.

          > In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

          See above. I think you will have some problems with the wider 26"
          version. What kind of hammock are you using...? Try putting a rigid
          piece of cardboard in there that is 26" wide and I think you will see
          what I am saying.

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
            wrote:
            > I thought I had just hit one
            > of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
            > happened TWICE during the night.

            I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
            hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
            an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
            When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
            experienced this problem above freezing.

            > With two incidents
            > and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a
            response
            > from Exped.

            I have an email into them already...I figure it'll take a few days
            to get a response, but we'll see. Might help if everyone who has
            experienced this sends one, also. Mine went to heidi at exped dot
            com...she's the boss of product management or something like that.

            Jeff
          • togetherinparis
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              Warmlite is mummy-shaped, with greater loft than the Exped 9 Delux, wider where it
              counts, and 17 ounces lighter. It's a no-brainer. With the Warmlight down air mattress
              you can be really comfortable on a shelter floor, if necessary, and warm, to boot.
              Stephenson's has been making down air mats for decades & have the kinks out, for the
              most part. (You still have to seam-seal the pump-sack.) For instance, they know what
              causes ultra-slow leaks & what needs to be done. Their products are great.
              However, the Stephensons warmlite website, www.warmlite.com, is the Soup Nazi: naked,
              stupid, and slow. Public frontal nudity is family tradition at Stephenson's. I am perfectly
              serious. His own mother glows buck buck on the front page! And if the convoluted &
              breathless "explanations" of an ultra-stupid yankee suit you, it's a hoot. Orders are with
              writen paper check only, delivered by snail mail only, and you must telephone repeatedly
              to get that far, all followed by suspense for a SEASON before delivery. Wait, it gets worse!
              There is no retail, anywhere, so you're stuck in the Twilight Zone permanently if you buy
              from them.
              Meanwhile, their products are great, inspired, even. One pictures a village of the naked
              hippy damned living as nomads in excellent tents: sex and sewing, sewing and sex, sex
              and sewing, sewing & sex...
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
                Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

                Lenny Nichols

              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                  > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
                  > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
                  > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
                  > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
                  > experienced this problem above freezing.

                  Jeff,

                  Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
                  comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
                  twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
                  realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
                  medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

                  I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

                  Thanks for your comments!

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • jonas4321
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Lenny and Paris-

                    For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
                    at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
                    know from the picture how much taper there is).

                    Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
                    to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
                    between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
                    "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                      I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
                      handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                      head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
                      wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
                      sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
                        You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
                        of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
                        4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
                        surfaces.

                        > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
                        mine
                        > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
                        the
                        > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                        16"
                        > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                        inflation/stuff
                        > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Lenny and Paris-
                        > >
                        > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
                        dimensions
                        > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
                        tough to
                        > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
                        > >
                        > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
                        extender
                        > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
                        pads
                        > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
                        create
                        > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                      • Aris Dennis
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                          HI all,

                          I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                          haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                          Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                          around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                          layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                          I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                          Any thoughts appreciated.

                          Aris

                          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                          dsl.yahoo.com
                        • keng
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                            Hello,

                            i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                            hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                            be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                            Cheers
                            keng

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > HI all,
                            >
                            > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                            > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                            > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                            > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                            > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                            > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                            >
                            > Any thoughts appreciated.
                            >
                            > Aris

                            > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                            > dsl.yahoo.com

                          • dlfrost_1
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                              > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                              > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                              16"
                              > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                              inflation/stuff
                              > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                              Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                              is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                              hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                              might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                              side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                              have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                              higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                              something to keep in mind.

                              Doug Frost
                            • Lenny Nichols
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                                My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                                are:
                                Head = 10"
                                Shoulder = 28"
                                Foot = 20"

                                I measured it uninflated.

                                Lenny Nichols

                              • David Wills
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                                  > HI all,
                                  >
                                  > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                                  > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                                  > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                                  > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                                  > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                                  > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                                  >
                                  > Any thoughts appreciated.
                                  >
                                  > Aris

                                  I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                                  weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                                  a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                                  nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                                • jonas4321
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                                    Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                                    overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                                    I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                                    Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                                    have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                                    if needed.

                                    I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                                    adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                                    know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                                    piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                                    Jonas