thanks Ed, we'll be dangling in Belize next week

  • busterx32000
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in my
      Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or non
      comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity

      I would appreciate members comments on high heat/humid experiences
      with our hammocks compared to nets we see in tropics ..
      regards JB
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        Message
        JB, you are right to be worried about tropical heat and humidity problems in solid fabric hammocks. Breathable fabrics are certainly called for. Your HH will probably work fine below about 80F, may be a bit clamy in hotter temps...Ed

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
          > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
          > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
          > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity

          Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give you some
          tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the high 70s
          and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...

          Tip #1: Sleep nude.

          Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve ventilation. If
          no rain is expected, remove the fly.

          Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled with cool
          water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude body, the
          netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative cooling
          that can be very refreshing.

          If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict that you
          will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody who might
          be sleeping on the ground near you.

          Shane
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
            Shane's advice is excellent.

            I have occasionally drifted off into a several hour stay in my hot
            tub, which I usually keep at about 95 degrees. After any prolonged
            stay in the tub, just a couple degrees below body temperature, I
            start to get cold. This is because there is effective conduction of
            heat from my body to the hot tub water.

            In the hammock, you can have effective transfer of heat through a
            single layer of nylon directly against the skin and through the skin
            if it is not protected by insulation of clothing.

            If the air temperature is above body temperature, you will have to do
            some evaporative cooling to allow your body to adjust to the
            environmental stress. The evaporative cooling can be sweat or
            Shane's mister.

            Let us know how you do!

            Rick

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
            wrote:
            > > I will be sleeping and perhaps poaching in my own perspiration in
            > > my Hennessy in Belize next week. I will learn of its comfort or
            > > non comfort level in very substantial heat and humidity
            >
            > Well, as someone who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, I can give
            you some
            > tips... I often see temperatures in the high 90s with humid in the
            high 70s
            > and greater at times. I've also slept in the Belizean Jungle...
            >
            > Tip #1: Sleep nude.
            >
            > Tip #2: Pitch the 'wings' of the rain fly high to improve
            ventilation. If
            > no rain is expected, remove the fly.
            >
            > Tip #3: An empty misting bottle hung from your pack can be filled
            with cool
            > water and hung from the ridge cord. A few squirts on your nude
            body, the
            > netting, and the hammock bed itself, will create some evaporative
            cooling
            > that can be very refreshing.
            >
            > If you follow tips 1 and 2, you probably won't need 3... I predict
            that you
            > will be VERY comfortable - and far more comfortable than anybody
            who might
            > be sleeping on the ground near you.
            >
            > Shane
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2003
              JB
              I have slept in just a Jag Bag silk bag linner on some hot nites
              here in Bama. But fact is I still felt a little cool on my
              backside. Your jungle trip will undoubably be even warmer but still
              you are probably used to sleeping on a thick mattress at home with
              little or no cover on top. I do run my ac in hot weather so it is
              not like outside. But for some reason being used to a thick matress
              at home translates into feeling cool when I dont have any insulation
              under me in my hammock. I went to Tenn. last summer with just a
              sheet. I ended up freezing on a 70 degree nite and yes I put on all
              my clothes, just nylon shorts and a nylon short sleeve shirt (both
              by Rem-Lite)

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "busterx32000"