Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock made for 2

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      You can hang two Speer hammocks from the same trees and be very close
      to each other, but not have the "sliding to the middle" problem of one
      big hammock.
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
        Spent a few hours in the hammock with my 71 lb son after he had a
        nightmare. I do not recommend it. It was a cold night, so my/our
        sleeping positions were limited and my hip was eventually hurting a lot.

        I think that it could be even trickier in a Hennessy, what with trying
        to get thru the hole, close it, not touch the net, etc.

        I like the looks of risk's solutions.

        If you make it work, let us know, though. It seems to me that a Speer
        type with wide fabric and extra length and some thought on how the ends
        are gathered might be workable. I'd make it at least 2 or 3 feet
        longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hooker"
        <andrewhooker59@y...> wrote:

        > G'day all.
        > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
        > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
        > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
        > (160kg's total - 352lbs).

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
          > longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

          I gather my ends in a W shape. It changes how I lay in it a bit
          (offer some support under my knee, preventing some of the locked leg
          feeling), but I don't think it's enough for another person to be
          comfortable in it. Maybe if the centerline was cut shorter, or pulled
          tight before whipping (instead of the sides), it might be workable.

          FWIW, I'm pretty sure the HH is folded into a W, then the bottoms of
          the W are rolled towards the center before the ends are secured. But
          I'm not going to take mine apart to prove it!

          Jeff
        • Dylan Anderson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
            This whole issue is certainly a problem for many. I
            am one who can say that the HH Safari does work for my
            wife and I. True it is a bit difficult to get in
            (tip, she and I get in together, otherwise there is a
            lot of tension on the slit), but there does seem to be
            enough room for us (she is 5'3, I am about 5'11). We
            are most likely an exception however, in that we often
            sleep holding one another all night, and don't
            normally get up in the evening for the restroom. Also
            I should mention we sleep on our sides in a spooning
            arrangement. It has worked for us fine, though I also
            must add that she does not camp with me all that
            often.

            If you two can sleep without moving, and if you can be
            comfortable in each other's arms all night, then the
            Safari is probably as good as solution as it will get.
            If on the other hand you cannot honestly say you
            sleep like we do, do the Risk thing and hang two in
            close proximity. Hope this helps anyway, and feel
            free to ask any other questions if you are thinking of
            trying it.

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
              I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
              pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape, pull
              the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W shape
              (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
              Jeff).

              Bill in Houston

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
                > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                pull
                > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                shape
                > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
                > Jeff).

                Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the best
                results.

                Jeff
              • Bryan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                  several weeks ago i asked this same question and got all the same
                  answers that you are getting. The "W" shaped idea is a new one.
                  However, because my girlfriend and i seem to be all over the place
                  when we sleep. i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                  them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                  or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                  spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.

                  we can lay in any position we choose and not disturb the other
                  person. our faces could be 3" away from each other if we wanted and i
                  could wrap my arm around her if i wanted. when we woke up, we were in
                  totally different positions.

                  she said she is never tent camping again! it was the best sleep she
                  has gotten while camping.

                  there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                  i got the idea from someone else.

                  Bryan

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                  > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of
                  only
                  > > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                  > pull
                  > > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                  > shape
                  > > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last
                  statement,
                  > > Jeff).
                  >
                  > Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the
                  best
                  > results.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Fuzzy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...> wrote:

                    > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                    > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                    > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                    > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                    >
                    > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                    > i got the idea from someone else.

                    Bryan,

                    Where exactly is the photo?

                    Fuzzy
                  • seuss910
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                      Is that Youngblood's Sidecar setup?

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...>
                      wrote:

                      > > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                      > > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size
                      stick
                      > > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                      > > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                      > >
                      > > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking
                      about.
                      > > i got the idea from someone else.
                      >
                      > Bryan,
                      >
                      > Where exactly is the photo?
                      >
                      > Fuzzy

                    • Bryan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
                        the "strut" setup i found is located in the Photo area of this
                        website.

                        look under the folder Youngblood\Sidecar. this works really well.
                        the only thing it does is when someone get out the other person , who
                        is still in the hammock, lowers towards the ground. sorta like a
                        seesaw effect. you don't hit the ground though. you drop about a foot
                        in height. when they get back in, it balances out.

                        hope this helps.

                        Bryan