Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock made for 2

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      I find it very difficult to sleep with someone else in the hammock. It
      seems like we are being smashed together quite firmly all the time. It
      is fun for a few minutes and even for a nap, but gets old after an hour
      or two.

      Rick

      Andrew Hooker wrote:
      > G'day all.
      > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
      > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
      > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
      > (160kg's total - 352lbs).
      >
      > I am told by Hennessy that their Safari Deluxe will do the job and was
      > wondering what you may think about that particular model?
      >
      > The reason I am interested in it is because we have ridden around
      > Australia and stealth camped in a tent along the way but often found
      > it hard to get a good site and, are now planning a cycle tour from
      > Purdhoe Bay Alaska down into and across Canada and then around the USA
      > and figure that a hammock will be better than a tent (in most cases)
      > where there are trees available.
      >
      >>From what I can figure out, the biggest drawback of two in a hammock
      > is movement, which is mainly the rolling over and getting in and out
      > for nature breaks during the night, both of which will disturb the
      > other person.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      > Andrew.
      > http://www.where2pedalto.gr8m8s.net

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Rick is to humble about his site. Check out the double hammocking
        information he has. May be a better solution than one big hammock.

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

        Brian

        On 1/1/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

        > I find it very difficult to sleep with someone else in the hammock. It
        > seems like we are being smashed together quite firmly all the time. It
        > is fun for a few minutes and even for a nap, but gets old after an hour
        > or two.
        >
        > Rick

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          You can hang two Speer hammocks from the same trees and be very close
          to each other, but not have the "sliding to the middle" problem of one
          big hammock.
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
            Spent a few hours in the hammock with my 71 lb son after he had a
            nightmare. I do not recommend it. It was a cold night, so my/our
            sleeping positions were limited and my hip was eventually hurting a lot.

            I think that it could be even trickier in a Hennessy, what with trying
            to get thru the hole, close it, not touch the net, etc.

            I like the looks of risk's solutions.

            If you make it work, let us know, though. It seems to me that a Speer
            type with wide fabric and extra length and some thought on how the ends
            are gathered might be workable. I'd make it at least 2 or 3 feet
            longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hooker"
            <andrewhooker59@y...> wrote:

            > G'day all.
            > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
            > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
            > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
            > (160kg's total - 352lbs).

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
              > longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

              I gather my ends in a W shape. It changes how I lay in it a bit
              (offer some support under my knee, preventing some of the locked leg
              feeling), but I don't think it's enough for another person to be
              comfortable in it. Maybe if the centerline was cut shorter, or pulled
              tight before whipping (instead of the sides), it might be workable.

              FWIW, I'm pretty sure the HH is folded into a W, then the bottoms of
              the W are rolled towards the center before the ends are secured. But
              I'm not going to take mine apart to prove it!

              Jeff
            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                This whole issue is certainly a problem for many. I
                am one who can say that the HH Safari does work for my
                wife and I. True it is a bit difficult to get in
                (tip, she and I get in together, otherwise there is a
                lot of tension on the slit), but there does seem to be
                enough room for us (she is 5'3, I am about 5'11). We
                are most likely an exception however, in that we often
                sleep holding one another all night, and don't
                normally get up in the evening for the restroom. Also
                I should mention we sleep on our sides in a spooning
                arrangement. It has worked for us fine, though I also
                must add that she does not camp with me all that
                often.

                If you two can sleep without moving, and if you can be
                comfortable in each other's arms all night, then the
                Safari is probably as good as solution as it will get.
                If on the other hand you cannot honestly say you
                sleep like we do, do the Risk thing and hang two in
                close proximity. Hope this helps anyway, and feel
                free to ask any other questions if you are thinking of
                trying it.

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                  I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
                  pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape, pull
                  the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W shape
                  (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
                  Jeff).

                  Bill in Houston

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                    <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                    > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
                    > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                    pull
                    > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                    shape
                    > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
                    > Jeff).

                    Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the best
                    results.

                    Jeff
                  • Bryan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                      several weeks ago i asked this same question and got all the same
                      answers that you are getting. The "W" shaped idea is a new one.
                      However, because my girlfriend and i seem to be all over the place
                      when we sleep. i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                      them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                      or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                      spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.

                      we can lay in any position we choose and not disturb the other
                      person. our faces could be 3" away from each other if we wanted and i
                      could wrap my arm around her if i wanted. when we woke up, we were in
                      totally different positions.

                      she said she is never tent camping again! it was the best sleep she
                      has gotten while camping.

                      there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                      i got the idea from someone else.

                      Bryan

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                      > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of
                      only
                      > > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                      > pull
                      > > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                      > shape
                      > > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last
                      statement,
                      > > Jeff).
                      >
                      > Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the
                      best
                      > results.
                      >
                      > Jeff

                    • Fuzzy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...> wrote:

                        > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                        > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                        > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                        > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                        >
                        > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                        > i got the idea from someone else.

                        Bryan,

                        Where exactly is the photo?

                        Fuzzy
                      • seuss910
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                          Is that Youngblood's Sidecar setup?

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...>
                          wrote:

                          > > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                          > > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size
                          stick
                          > > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                          > > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                          > >
                          > > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking
                          about.
                          > > i got the idea from someone else.
                          >
                          > Bryan,
                          >
                          > Where exactly is the photo?
                          >
                          > Fuzzy

                        • Bryan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
                            the "strut" setup i found is located in the Photo area of this
                            website.

                            look under the folder Youngblood\Sidecar. this works really well.
                            the only thing it does is when someone get out the other person , who
                            is still in the hammock, lowers towards the ground. sorta like a
                            seesaw effect. you don't hit the ground though. you drop about a foot
                            in height. when they get back in, it balances out.

                            hope this helps.

                            Bryan