DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year, btw!

      I am now convinced I will be buying a DAM (Down-filled Air Mattress)
      not making one a la Gardenville (I am running out of time and
      ambition, but have saved up the necessary $$).

      I have a Speer-type hammock, a 9' long ZHammock double-bottom to be
      specific, and I don't see myself changing to any other style hammock.
      I don't care if I can fit the DAM in between the layers, I will be
      putting CCF pads in there (I am going for 0*F and lower). I envision
      the DAM being in the hammock with me. I am certain (at this point,
      anyway) that I don't want an underquilt, as weight is not my primary
      concern.

      Does anyone have experience with the Exped and/or the Warmlite? They
      are roughly comparable in price, though the dimensions on the Warmlite
      are difficult to decipher, as they appear to be "casket"-shaped (is
      that true?).

      I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
      feedback on that. I'd also like to know what the outer material fabric
      is like.

      In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

      Thanks!

      Jonas
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
        Happy New Year!

        I have the Exped Downmat 7. The outer fabric is very comfortable
        and wicks away condensation pretty well, in my experience.

        The Downmat 7 is 19" wide, and it's _almost_ enough to use that
        without any other side insulation because it makes me sit up so
        high. Very nice...but not quite enough. I don't know which would
        be better - that one with the SPE or getting the 26" wide
        version...I think it would depend on how the 26" wide one fits in
        your hammock. Just something to consider.

        I'm pretty impressed with the insulation. Depending on wind, I
        think it _may_ be enough bottom insulation to get to zero without
        any CCF pads. For the weight and bulk, you might consider making a
        TravelPod instead of carrying an additional pad. IMO, it'll be more
        useful at those temps than another pad. Of course, then you won't
        have a sit pad to carry around camp.

        It isn't really difficult to inflate after a few times practicing.
        I had a hard time locking the inflation valve in cold weather,
        though...had to twist really hard before it popped into position,
        which was very frustrating until I figured out what was happening.

        BUT mine seems to have a deflation problem, and I've heard this from
        a few others. It's usually good enough for the hammock, but when I
        used it on the ground on the Winnemucca trip it deflated enough over
        about 5-6 hours that I could feel the coolness from the snow coming
        through to my hip. If I bent my body just a little bit my hip would
        touch the snow underneath.

        I haven't used the Warmlite so I can't compare, but I like the
        Downmat and I think it's great for cold temps. The inflation thing
        isn't a big deal unless you lose the inflation bag in the field, but
        the deflation problem is something I'd like to figure out.

        Hope this helps!

        Jeff
      • richard_nisley
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
          I also have experienced the Downmat7 loosing air slowly. I exchanged it
          at REI for a different Downmat7 and it also exhibits the same problem.
          I asked the REI sales clerk if any other Downmat 7s were returned for
          leaking air and he said, "You are the first". I tried going to the
          Exped Web site to see if they had a customer service contact email
          address but, I couldn't find anything. I am very satisfied with the
          comfort and warmth of this product... it is near perfect. If the slow
          leak issue was solvable it would be perfect.

          Richard

          > the deflation problem is something I'd like to figure out.
          >
          > Hope this helps!
          >
          > Jeff

        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
            wrote:
            > Does anyone have experience with the Exped and/or the Warmlite? They
            > are roughly comparable in price, though the dimensions on the
            Warmlite
            > are difficult to decipher, as they appear to be "casket"-shaped (is
            > that true?).
            >
            > I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
            > feedback on that. I'd also like to know what the outer material
            fabric
            > is like.
            >
            > In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

            You should do a search of this group at the Yahoo Groups site--this
            was a topic of discussion some weeks back, along with the SPE.

            I suggest getting the regular Downmat 7 and using Ed Speer's
            Segmented Pad Extender with it. (The SPE "wings" provide the
            shoulder protection, allowing use of regular-width pads. The 8x
            version is for winter use.) It will weigh less, be less bulky to
            pack, and is more flexible to set up for different tempratures. The
            gray pads Ed sells are better for hammocking than the ones sold in
            the stores.
            http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
            (The topmost photo shows an end-on view with a Downmat 7 inserted.)

            Doug Frost
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
              > wrote:
              > > Does anyone have experience with the Exped and/or the Warmlite?
              ...<snip>...
              > I suggest getting the regular Downmat 7 and using Ed Speer's
              > Segmented Pad Extender with it. (The SPE "wings" provide the
              > shoulder protection, allowing use of regular-width pads. The 8x
              > version is for winter use.) It will weigh less, be less bulky to
              > pack, and is more flexible to set up for different tempratures.

              Yes. I agree with Doug's comments above. I have been using the Exped
              Downmat 7 (long) with the SPE and it is GREAT!!!! I have been too
              warm at 14F - meaning that I had to get OUT of my 5F slpg. bag and
              just throw it over me as a top blanket. For Springer, I used Mr.
              Speer's "FrogSac" as a top blanket and I was toasty!

              Fabric: Top is non-slippery and kinda like fleece in wicking. Bottom
              is also non-slippery

              I use it INSIDE a Speer and it does allow you to ride a bit "higher"
              and it causes the Speer to "wrap" around you a bit - thus the SPE.

              No experience with the Warmlite. Co$t steered me to the Exped.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
                <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
                > I also have experienced the Downmat7 loosing air slowly.
                ...<snip>...
                > I am very satisfied with the
                > comfort and warmth of this product... it is near perfect. If the
                > slow leak issue was solvable it would be perfect.
                > Richard
                ...<snip>...
                > > the deflation problem is something I'd like to figure out.
                > > Jeff

                Well... Well... Well....!!!

                "Perhaps"... "Maybe"... I just experienced this on Springer....?

                Because of the "celebrations"...<g>..., I thought I had just hit one
                of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
                happened TWICE during the night.

                I was *NOT* awake enough to think about turning it to put the valves
                near my head... It was NOT a matter of the colder air, it was a total
                loss of air/inflation.

                This was the 7th or 8th time I have used the Exped without ANY
                problems. As Richard says above: "I am very satisfied with the
                comfort and warmth of this product... it is near perfect"

                I will be testing in the back yard over the next couple weeks. I
                would appreciate anything else you folks discover. With two incidents
                and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a response
                from Exped.

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
                  > I don't care if I can fit the DAM in between the layers, I will be
                  > putting CCF pads in there (I am going for 0*F and lower). I envision
                  > the DAM being in the hammock with me. I am certain (at this point,
                  > anyway) that I don't want an underquilt, as weight is not my primary
                  > concern.

                  Jonas, I just re-read the above... I don't think you will need the
                  ccf pads. Purchase or make an SPE. Because the hammock will tend to
                  "wall" you in (Think the letter "U"), your knees/elbows get cold
                  against the sides when you toss & turn or side-sleep. If you are not
                  familiar with the SPE, take a look at Mr. Speer's site. BTW, the SPE
                  is designed to hold the *** 20" **** wide pads. Wider than that will
                  be problematic in the hammock causing you to be way too high.

                  > I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
                  > feedback on that.

                  The FIRST time, it took 15 or more bags-of-air. Since then, I have it
                  "firm" in 5 or 6 puffs.

                  > In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

                  See above. I think you will have some problems with the wider 26"
                  version. What kind of hammock are you using...? Try putting a rigid
                  piece of cardboard in there that is 26" wide and I think you will see
                  what I am saying.

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                    wrote:
                    > I thought I had just hit one
                    > of the inflation valves with my foot causing it to lose air...? It
                    > happened TWICE during the night.

                    I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
                    hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
                    an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
                    When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
                    experienced this problem above freezing.

                    > With two incidents
                    > and now my "possible" incident, we should be able to elicit a
                    response
                    > from Exped.

                    I have an email into them already...I figure it'll take a few days
                    to get a response, but we'll see. Might help if everyone who has
                    experienced this sends one, also. Mine went to heidi at exped dot
                    com...she's the boss of product management or something like that.

                    Jeff
                  • togetherinparis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Warmlite is mummy-shaped, with greater loft than the Exped 9 Delux, wider where it
                      counts, and 17 ounces lighter. It's a no-brainer. With the Warmlight down air mattress
                      you can be really comfortable on a shelter floor, if necessary, and warm, to boot.
                      Stephenson's has been making down air mats for decades & have the kinks out, for the
                      most part. (You still have to seam-seal the pump-sack.) For instance, they know what
                      causes ultra-slow leaks & what needs to be done. Their products are great.
                      However, the Stephensons warmlite website, www.warmlite.com, is the Soup Nazi: naked,
                      stupid, and slow. Public frontal nudity is family tradition at Stephenson's. I am perfectly
                      serious. His own mother glows buck buck on the front page! And if the convoluted &
                      breathless "explanations" of an ultra-stupid yankee suit you, it's a hoot. Orders are with
                      writen paper check only, delivered by snail mail only, and you must telephone repeatedly
                      to get that far, all followed by suspense for a SEASON before delivery. Wait, it gets worse!
                      There is no retail, anywhere, so you're stuck in the Twilight Zone permanently if you buy
                      from them.
                      Meanwhile, their products are great, inspired, even. One pictures a village of the naked
                      hippy damned living as nomads in excellent tents: sex and sewing, sewing and sex, sex
                      and sewing, sewing & sex...
                    • Lenny Nichols
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                        I didn't phone Stephenson's. I just ordered via snail mail with a Cashier's
                        Check. I had my DAM in about 10 days. No problems. It works great.

                        Lenny Nichols

                      • J.D. Hoessle
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                          > I found on the Winnemucca trip that I had to twist the valve REALLY
                          > hard to get it to lock. At first, it felt like it had locked with
                          > an easy twist, but it kept coming loose at the slightest touch.
                          > When I really cranked down on it, I felt it really lock. I hadn't
                          > experienced this problem above freezing.

                          Jeff,

                          Unpacking this AM from Springer and took another look after your
                          comments above. Yes, that's probably what happened to me - not
                          twisting that extra little bit. In the bright light of today, I
                          realized I had never noticed that....!!! Of course, the Snake Bite
                          medicince didn't help on the Springer adventure...<g>...

                          I will continue to back yard test and report any further problems.

                          Thanks for your comments!

                          Happy Trails,

                          J.D.
                        • jonas4321
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                            Lenny and Paris-

                            For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width dimensions
                            at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's tough to
                            know from the picture how much taper there is).

                            Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad extender
                            to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF pads
                            between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to create
                            "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                              I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on mine
                              handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                              head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and 16"
                              wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the inflation/stuff
                              sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                Forgot to mention that the length is a 'funny' number in a hammock.
                                You lose some of the usable length due to the thickness/curved nature
                                of a hammock. I'm 72" tall and I'm guessing that mine has about 2 to
                                4 inches extra in my hammock, certainly not the 8" I have on flat
                                surfaces.

                                > I'm not Lenny and Paris, but I have the dimensions I measured on
                                mine
                                > handy. Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at
                                the
                                > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                                16"
                                > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                                inflation/stuff
                                > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Lenny and Paris-
                                > >
                                > > For the Warmlite DAM's you own, can you tell me the width
                                dimensions
                                > > at the head, shoulder and foot (since it's mummy-shaped, it's
                                tough to
                                > > know from the picture how much taper there is).
                                > >
                                > > Given everyone's feedback, I'll probably buy (or make) a pad
                                extender
                                > > to fit whichever DAM I get. Sounds easier than inserting 2 CCF
                                pads
                                > > between the bottom layers of my ZHammock and spreading them to
                                create
                                > > "side" insulation like I usually do. Less bulky to pack, too.

                              • Aris Dennis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                  HI all,

                                  I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                                  haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                                  Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                                  around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                                  layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                                  I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...

                                  Any thoughts appreciated.

                                  Aris

                                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                  dsl.yahoo.com
                                • keng
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                    Hello,

                                    i weight slightly under 130lb and had the 8mm silk....it did not
                                    hold my weight as i tight mine to tight, which i like it to be, may
                                    be you might want to consider the 10mm or something stronger

                                    Cheers
                                    keng

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > HI all,
                                    >
                                    > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                                    > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                                    > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                                    > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                                    > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                                    > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                                    >
                                    > Any thoughts appreciated.
                                    >
                                    > Aris

                                    > Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                    > dsl.yahoo.com

                                  • dlfrost_1
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                                      > Mine is their 70" girth size. It is 80" long, 10" wide at the
                                      > head, 28" wide at the shoulders (measured 16" from the head) and
                                      16"
                                      > wide at the foot. It is 4+ inches thick and with the
                                      inflation/stuff
                                      > sack it weighs almost 2 lbs, I think it's right at 31 ounces.

                                      Something to keep in mind about the extra width of the Warmlite DAM
                                      is whether or not it will work with the curve of your particular
                                      hammock. If it's U-shaped when occupied you (and your bag/quilt)
                                      might not fit because inches of space will be taken up along each
                                      side where the DAM curves upwards. And your hammock will have to
                                      have _some_ extra depth to it because you'll be sitting 4 inches
                                      higher then usual. Not true for all hammocks, of course... just
                                      something to keep in mind.

                                      Doug Frost
                                    • Lenny Nichols
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                                        My Stephenson's DAM is sold as the 64. It's 70" long. The width dimensions
                                        are:
                                        Head = 10"
                                        Shoulder = 28"
                                        Foot = 20"

                                        I measured it uninflated.

                                        Lenny Nichols

                                      • David Wills
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 4, 2006
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...> wrote:

                                          > HI all,
                                          >
                                          > I'm going to make one of Risk's Z hammocks, but
                                          > haven't decided on material yet. I was reading on Ray
                                          > Garlingtons page about 8mm silk, which is aparently
                                          > around 1 oz. Should I use two layers of this, or two
                                          > layer of 1.1oz ripstop?
                                          > I weigh 200lb so I'd like it to hold my weight...
                                          >
                                          > Any thoughts appreciated.
                                          >
                                          > Aris

                                          I have a 10mm silk speer type hammock and it is plenty sturdy. I
                                          weigh 175, so the 8mm double layer should suit you very well and give
                                          a significant safety margin. The silk is really comfy too, but gets
                                          nasty looking quickly, which adds character... David with no trailname
                                        • jonas4321
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 5, 2006
                                            Thank you all for your advice, opinions and experience. I just
                                            overnighted a check to Warmlite for the 70" DAM (the largest one),
                                            I'll let you know what happens. I hope to field test it in the
                                            Adirondacks the weekend of the 20th (they are pretty sure they can
                                            have it to me by then). I have a cabin right next to me for a bail-out
                                            if needed.

                                            I'm experimenting with a Coleman air mattress now to see if I need to
                                            adjust the "raise" of the sides in my Speer-type hammock, given that I
                                            know I'll be riding higher. Gotta love those double sheet bend ends-
                                            piece of cake to undo and redo! Thanks again to whoever suggested that.

                                            Jonas