Hammock made for 2

  • Andrew Hooker
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      G'day all.
      Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
      Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
      for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
      (160kg's total - 352lbs).

      I am told by Hennessy that their Safari Deluxe will do the job and was
      wondering what you may think about that particular model?

      The reason I am interested in it is because we have ridden around
      Australia and stealth camped in a tent along the way but often found
      it hard to get a good site and, are now planning a cycle tour from
      Purdhoe Bay Alaska down into and across Canada and then around the USA
      and figure that a hammock will be better than a tent (in most cases)
      where there are trees available.

      From what I can figure out, the biggest drawback of two in a hammock
      is movement, which is mainly the rolling over and getting in and out
      for nature breaks during the night, both of which will disturb the
      other person.

      Thanks in advance.
      Andrew.
      http://www.where2pedalto.gr8m8s.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        I find it very difficult to sleep with someone else in the hammock. It
        seems like we are being smashed together quite firmly all the time. It
        is fun for a few minutes and even for a nap, but gets old after an hour
        or two.

        Rick

        Andrew Hooker wrote:
        > G'day all.
        > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
        > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
        > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
        > (160kg's total - 352lbs).
        >
        > I am told by Hennessy that their Safari Deluxe will do the job and was
        > wondering what you may think about that particular model?
        >
        > The reason I am interested in it is because we have ridden around
        > Australia and stealth camped in a tent along the way but often found
        > it hard to get a good site and, are now planning a cycle tour from
        > Purdhoe Bay Alaska down into and across Canada and then around the USA
        > and figure that a hammock will be better than a tent (in most cases)
        > where there are trees available.
        >
        >>From what I can figure out, the biggest drawback of two in a hammock
        > is movement, which is mainly the rolling over and getting in and out
        > for nature breaks during the night, both of which will disturb the
        > other person.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Andrew.
        > http://www.where2pedalto.gr8m8s.net

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Rick is to humble about his site. Check out the double hammocking
          information he has. May be a better solution than one big hammock.

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

          Brian

          On 1/1/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

          > I find it very difficult to sleep with someone else in the hammock. It
          > seems like we are being smashed together quite firmly all the time. It
          > is fun for a few minutes and even for a nap, but gets old after an hour
          > or two.
          >
          > Rick

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            You can hang two Speer hammocks from the same trees and be very close
            to each other, but not have the "sliding to the middle" problem of one
            big hammock.
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
              Spent a few hours in the hammock with my 71 lb son after he had a
              nightmare. I do not recommend it. It was a cold night, so my/our
              sleeping positions were limited and my hip was eventually hurting a lot.

              I think that it could be even trickier in a Hennessy, what with trying
              to get thru the hole, close it, not touch the net, etc.

              I like the looks of risk's solutions.

              If you make it work, let us know, though. It seems to me that a Speer
              type with wide fabric and extra length and some thought on how the ends
              are gathered might be workable. I'd make it at least 2 or 3 feet
              longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hooker"
              <andrewhooker59@y...> wrote:

              > G'day all.
              > Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
              > Secondly, I am looking for some advice regarding the use of hammocks
              > for camping, in particular one will comfortably hold the wife and me
              > (160kg's total - 352lbs).

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                > longer and gather then ends to make a W shape instead of a V shape.

                I gather my ends in a W shape. It changes how I lay in it a bit
                (offer some support under my knee, preventing some of the locked leg
                feeling), but I don't think it's enough for another person to be
                comfortable in it. Maybe if the centerline was cut shorter, or pulled
                tight before whipping (instead of the sides), it might be workable.

                FWIW, I'm pretty sure the HH is folded into a W, then the bottoms of
                the W are rolled towards the center before the ends are secured. But
                I'm not going to take mine apart to prove it!

                Jeff
              • Dylan Anderson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                  This whole issue is certainly a problem for many. I
                  am one who can say that the HH Safari does work for my
                  wife and I. True it is a bit difficult to get in
                  (tip, she and I get in together, otherwise there is a
                  lot of tension on the slit), but there does seem to be
                  enough room for us (she is 5'3, I am about 5'11). We
                  are most likely an exception however, in that we often
                  sleep holding one another all night, and don't
                  normally get up in the evening for the restroom. Also
                  I should mention we sleep on our sides in a spooning
                  arrangement. It has worked for us fine, though I also
                  must add that she does not camp with me all that
                  often.

                  If you two can sleep without moving, and if you can be
                  comfortable in each other's arms all night, then the
                  Safari is probably as good as solution as it will get.
                  If on the other hand you cannot honestly say you
                  sleep like we do, do the Risk thing and hang two in
                  close proximity. Hope this helps anyway, and feel
                  free to ask any other questions if you are thinking of
                  trying it.

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                • Bill in Houston
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                    I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
                    pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape, pull
                    the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W shape
                    (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
                    Jeff).

                    Bill in Houston

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                      > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of only
                      > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                      pull
                      > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                      shape
                      > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last statement,
                      > Jeff).

                      Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the best
                      results.

                      Jeff
                    • Bryan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                        several weeks ago i asked this same question and got all the same
                        answers that you are getting. The "W" shaped idea is a new one.
                        However, because my girlfriend and i seem to be all over the place
                        when we sleep. i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                        them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                        or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                        spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.

                        we can lay in any position we choose and not disturb the other
                        person. our faces could be 3" away from each other if we wanted and i
                        could wrap my arm around her if i wanted. when we woke up, we were in
                        totally different positions.

                        she said she is never tent camping again! it was the best sleep she
                        has gotten while camping.

                        there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                        i got the idea from someone else.

                        Bryan

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                        > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I wasn't clear, sorry. What I was thinking was that instead of
                        only
                        > > pulling the sides a little tighter to give the hammock a V shape,
                        > pull
                        > > the sides AND the center a little tighter to give the hammock a W
                        > shape
                        > > (which I think is what you were getting at with your last
                        statement,
                        > > Jeff).
                        >
                        > Yep - that's what I meant. Maybe combining the two will give the
                        best
                        > results.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                      • Fuzzy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...> wrote:

                          > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                          > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size stick
                          > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                          > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                          >
                          > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking about.
                          > i got the idea from someone else.

                          Bryan,

                          Where exactly is the photo?

                          Fuzzy
                        • seuss910
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 18, 2006
                            Is that Youngblood's Sidecar setup?

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@y...>
                            wrote:

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <brpowel4@v...>
                            wrote:

                            > > i decided to make 2 single person hammocks and hang
                            > > them on the same tree. once this is done, i place a thumb size
                            stick
                            > > or hiking pole (strut)in the hanging ropes (on each end)and this
                            > > spreads the hammocks apart so you don't bump into each other.
                            > >
                            > > there is a picture in the photo area of the strut i'm talking
                            about.
                            > > i got the idea from someone else.
                            >
                            > Bryan,
                            >
                            > Where exactly is the photo?
                            >
                            > Fuzzy

                          • Bryan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 21, 2006
                              the "strut" setup i found is located in the Photo area of this
                              website.

                              look under the folder Youngblood\Sidecar. this works really well.
                              the only thing it does is when someone get out the other person , who
                              is still in the hammock, lowers towards the ground. sorta like a
                              seesaw effect. you don't hit the ground though. you drop about a foot
                              in height. when they get back in, it balances out.

                              hope this helps.

                              Bryan