New Member

  • Im Spartacvs
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hello All,

      Just joined the group and it appears the growing number of campers
      using hammocks.

      Santa brought me a Hennessey Ultralite Explorer

      WTG Santa!!!

      Looking forward to getting out and using it and learning from others
      experiences

      I live in upstate New York.

      -Matthew-
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 21, 2006
        I love camping,but rarely get to go because my wife hates to sleep on
        the ground, I have never heard of Hammock Camping before. What are some
        good links for finding out more about it and what is preferred or
        suggested and what to avoid.

        Thanks,
        Bryan
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 21, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <toy01@b...> wrote:
          > I love camping,but rarely get to go because my wife hates to sleep on
          > the ground, I have never heard of Hammock Camping before. What are
          > some good links for finding out more about it and what is preferred or
          > suggested and what to avoid.

          Hello, Bryan!

          I am a little over one year into this hammock hanging thing myself.

          Tim has provided you with a number of links in another post here which
          are excellent. I had to prove this stuff to myself; so, the first
          adventure was to make a Risk ZHammock. I stayed warm and comfortable.

          Next, I purchased a Hennessy and then a Speer Hammock. I like the
          Speer a bit more; but, that's just my two cents.

          I began looking at hammocks as a way to save weight (YES it does!);
          but, found that the "comfort factor" everyone raves about is
          unbelieveable.

          Get Mr. Speer's book and make one of your own and/or buy one, and
          practice in the back yard. If your wife hates sleeping on the ground,
          she will find that this is a VERY safe/secure/comfortable way to go!
          Even the "modesty-issue" is covered - you have this tarp over you that
          allows you to stand up to change clothes! You can sit down to change
          shoes/sox and cook without crawling around in the mud.

          And... Depending upon where you live, you could hook up with some of
          these folks here to *SEE* what they are doing.

          Plus, you will find that everyone here is more than genorous with
          help, advice, etc.

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • whitewaterpixie
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 24, 2010
            Hi, I just started hanging this summer and am headed out this weekend to
            the Nantahala for the Festival and a little paddling. Seems like
            everywhere I go I talk to someone about hammocking and put them on the
            path to convert. :)

            My rig is an ENO Doublenest, ENO bug-net, Noah Tarp 9 and I changed my
            suspension to Whoopie Slings and Tree Huggers. I don't have the funds
            yet to buy an under quilt so I made a pad extender for my Thermarest and
            put Reflectix insulation in the wings(aluminized bubble wrap). This
            weekend will be my first test. I'll come back with my results. And will
            post some pics.

            Cakes
          • Charles Bey
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 25, 2010
              Welcome to Hammock Forums! Hope to hear more about your hammock
              camping experiences. Didn't know about the Nantahala Festival this
              weekend. Have fun!

              Cheers,
              Mountainwave
            • flyincajun
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 25, 2010
                Hello from a fellow newb ! Just got my Hennessy Expedition Asym today. Only had time for a quick hang test in the back yard. Will play more this week. An all new experience for me.
                More issues with warm weather, rain and mosquitoes down here in Louisiana. Heading up to Arkansas the last week of October.
                Best wishes