Re: New! Flyfisher's 4 Quarter Hammock (long)

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
      > The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
      > connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
      > that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
      > between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
      > closure of the HH.

      Sounds like a good system for people who don't like messing with
      rigging. When I connected the GI shell to the Speer, I kept the
      drawstring so the slack can be eliminated. In your design, will it
      stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
      cooling)?

      > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

      Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of webbing
      and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check my
      photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot I
      used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
        Ray wrote: In your design, will it
        > stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
        > cooling)?

        No, if it is warm, take the pad out and the two layers come together
        with almost no insulation value. It is like sleeping on a hammock
        without a pad at that stage. For most warm weather, I might prefer
        to keep some bottom insulation and just sleep without the cover...
        but if it is really hot and I am sitting there sweating, it is easy
        enough to take out the pad, and then start cooling off like I am
        laying on a water bed with the heater turned off.

        > > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?
        > >
        > Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of
        webbing
        > and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check
        my
        > photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot
        > used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.

        I like the knot. It has the advantage of being a little easier to
        untie. (Ed's knot is not as impossible as he makes it out to be, but
        it does take 5-10 minutes of working with it to untie after I have
        had weight on it for a night.)

        What I would suggest is as described in my hammock...

        Do you have questions about the directions? I know pics will help,
        but they may not be available before you need to sew. In essence,
        you want the long edge of the bug net to be sort of hammock
        shaped... an arc of a much larger circle. Make it by taking your
        bug net and marking along the short edges 1 foot from one of the long
        edges. Mark the center of the long edge of the bug net right on the
        edge. Then start marking extra points between these three defining
        points so the end result is a nice smooth curve that contains all 3
        points.

        Untie the ends of your hammock, sew the curved long edge of the bug
        net along the entire edge of your material. It will be a little too
        long, because that edge is longer than the straight edge you started
        with. Cut off the unneeded bugnet from the end even with the hammock
        material. Now form your knots again, just allowing almost all of the
        bug net short edge to escape from the knot.

        Now you can throw the bug net across the opening of the hammock or
        throw it back so it is out of the way.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
          Message
          Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest hammock--especially the bug net design.  Certainly less complicated than my design--and i like that a lot.  I've been studing your posts today, but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on that.Could you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro attachment on one side? I can't quite envision how it functions without a ridgeline, but I'm very intriged! Does varying hammock setups with varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?  We need another Hammock Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
            Ed, to answer your questions:

            > Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest
            > hammock--especially the bug net design. Certainly less complicated
            than
            > my design--and i like that a lot. I've been studing your posts
            today,
            > but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on
            that.

            Coming as soon as I can enlist one of the family to be a model when
            the sun is up.

            Could
            > you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro
            attachment
            > on one side?

            Well, yes. It is not quite as strong, and not quite as light, and
            you do have the plastic edges of the velcro to threaten you with
            paper cuts (real threat too)

            I can't quite envision how it functions without a
            > ridgeline, but I'm very intriged!

            To explain again... Maybe one time I will make it clear enough to
            understand.

            Start with a hammock for my 6 foot frame. The cloth is cut to 10
            feet in length. If one long edge of the bug net is cut rounded and
            that rounded edge is attached to the long edge of the hammock, then
            both the rounded edge and the long edge of the hammock are 10 feet
            long. But if you take those two pieces and pull from end to end, you
            will not be able to pull the edge of the hammock material tight.
            Why? because there is cloth in the bug net that spans the chord of
            the curve. It gets tight before the edge of the hammock does.

            When you tie the overhand knots, the same relationship exists. A
            chord exists in the bug net and when you pull it tight, the edges of
            the hammock are not tight. When you lay down in the hammock, it sags
            just about the right amount and the chord in the bug net stays tight
            but does not get any tighter (which would destroy the bug net.)

            Now the open edge of the bug net can be attached with velcro in a
            similar curve, or the whole side of the bug net can just be allowed
            to drape over the side of the hammock. It is kept in place by its
            own weight, by a few coins, or with some more significant weight like
            a water bottle in a stuff sack.

            Does varying hammock setups with
            > varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?

            The beauty of the system is that you just tie the hammock up with the
            bug net tight and the hammock is already just loose enough to be
            comfortable.

            We need another Hammock
            > Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

            Agree! I think you are going to be at Damascus on the 17th and 18th
            of May (Trail Days). I will be starting a section hike from Hot
            Springs to Erwin that weekend. I plan to be at the bluegrass concert
            to hear a hiker friend sing in Erwin at the campground on the next
            Saturday night (24th). Will you be anywhere close?

            For that matter, anyone else want to hike that section about then?

            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2003
              A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
              button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
              throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
              quarters you can loose this way.

              It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
              two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
              quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
              place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
              other end.

              So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
              hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
              hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

              Rick <><

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
              wrote:
              > Goals:
              >
              > - more comfortable way to use pad as insulation
              > - readily available material
              > - no ridge cord
              > - inexpensive
              >
              > Materials:
              >
              > 10 yards of 1" poly webbing
              > 6 2/3 yards 48" polyester cloth (soft to the touch, ?? doubleknit)
              > (about 1.5 oz/yard)
              > 3 1/3 yards of 48" polyester chiffon (wedding veil material)
              >
              > Instructions:
              >
              > - Lay the chiffon out and scribe/cut one edge so that it is a foot
              > less wide at the ends than in the middle of the long edge. Make
              the
              > cut a curve, a segment of a large circle, like the side of a kayak
              > seen from above.
              > - Cut the polyester hammock material into two pieces 3 1/3 yards
              long
              > - Cut the poly webbing into two equal lengths (15 feet)
              > - singe the long edge cut of the chiffon and the ends of all
              pieces
              > (a propane torch is the easy way to do this)
              > - make a sandwich with chiffon between two layers of polyester and
              > sew a long edge of the two polyester layers and the cut edge of the
              > chifon with a half inch seam allowance.
              > - At the end of the seam, there will be extra chiffon left over
              > (about 3-4 inches). Cut a strip from the end of the chiffon that
              > width and then re-singe the edge.
              > - turn the outside layers of the sandwitch back and stitch 2.5 feet
              > of each end of the long edge of those two layers, forming a pocket
              of
              > hammock material with a layer of chiffon coming out of the opposite
              > edge of the "hammock to be"
              > - make a Speer type overhand knot in both layers of the hammock
              > material, at each end. Incorporate no more of the chiffon in the
              > knot than is necessary along the one edge.
              > - sew 4 button holes an inch from the free edge of the chiffon.
              This

              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                Message
                Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
                Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                  Optimist or pessamist?

                  I prefer to note that:
                  Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
                  I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
                  Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

                  Rick <><

                  > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
                  > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
                  > later..Ed

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                  05
                  > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                  mqso=60164797&pa
                  > rtid=3170658>
                  >
                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                  > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                • Debra Weisenstein
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                    Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
                    could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
                    other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

                    Deb

                  • Per-Arne Asp
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                      Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

                      //p-a

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                        > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                        Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                        two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                        breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                        closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                        open the net in the middle of the night.

                        Rick <><