Lightweight Hammock question

  • Michael B. Carter
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
      Question for the group:

      I have some nice olive green ripstop nylon that I found in the WalMart $1 bin.
      It weighs to about 1.44 oz per square yard. I weigh ~195 pounds. Is this
      nylon strong enough for a lightweight hammock for me plus my bag, pad,
      etc., using a single layer of fabric?

      Opinions requested...

      I spent a lot of time searching through all of the local WalMarts (quite a
      few) in the Raleigh area over my Christmas time off. I found lot's of
      1.9oz. ripstop (mostly olive) and enough 1.1 oz. silnylon (mostly gray some
      olive) for about 3 tarps, or other gear. The silnylon was hard to find in
      long enough pieces, but an associate in one store told me that they get a
      lot of it in. I wonder who's buying it all up...besides me that is :o)

      Michael

      PS - To all those that are going, have a great time at Springer. I'm sorry
      that I won't be able to make it.
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        For 195 lbs, I'd go with the 1.9 oz. JMHO.

        If you want to sell any of the 1.9 oz, let me know by PM, please. I
        think most of the ripstop ends up in the SE US. I've only seen it
        over here once, and only in the 1.1 oz weight. Not looking to pay
        much, just to take some off your hands if you find yourelf drowning
        in it and ship stuff often.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
            Hey, hey hey, I have to defend Ed here. Even though he did have to sleep on the ground at Mt Mitchell, it was because the fabric just darn wore out. Remember, it had OVER 5000 hours of use and lightweight materials just do not last as long as , say, canvas. A Canvas hammock would probably last 25000 hours. Once again, you should inspect your gear each and every time you use it. In this case, he and I both knew it was just a matter of time; he just would have preferred it to be in the back yard, not on top of a mountain in the winter. :)

            Karen

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
              I was seriously impressed with how much use Ed got out of that
              hammock. The good news is that even as it failed, the hammock didn't dump
              him on the ground. I have to hand it to him for continuing to use it to
              failure, that's what I do as an engineer. How else to find out how long
              something will last? There aren't very many folks out there that will put
              over 5000 hours on their hammock. Thanks to Ed, I know that my hammocks
              will probably never wear out :o)

              All that aside, a certain amount of ribbing is in order when the
              hammock-meister ends up sleeping on the ground (sorry Ed) :o)

              Michael

              At 04:16 AM 1/5/06 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hey, hey hey, I have to defend Ed here. Even though he did have to sleep
              >on the ground at Mt Mitchell, it was because the fabric just darn wore
              >out. Remember, it had OVER 5000 hours of use and lightweight materials
              >just do not last as long as , say, canvas. A Canvas hammock would probably
              >last 25000 hours. Once again, you should inspect your gear each and every
              >time you use it. In this case, he and I both knew it was just a matter of
              >time; he just would have preferred it to be in the back yard, not on top
              >of a mountain in the winter. :)
              >
              >Karen

            • Michael B. Carter
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
                Thanks for the input Tim. As soon as I finish my current hardwood flooring
                project, I plan on making a hammock out of this material.
                I'll let you know how it comes out.

                Michael

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
                  glad you caught that karen :~) i`s just kiddin around. cause that would be comparing two differant things... testing how lightweight of fabric you may be able to get away with, & how long a speer hammock can last. ...tim

                  karens62@... wrote: Hey, hey hey, I have to defend Ed here. Even though he did have to sleep on the ground at Mt Mitchell, it was because the fabric just darn wore out. Remember, it had OVER 5000 hours of use and lightweight materials just do not last as long as , say, canvas. A Canvas hammock would probably last 25000 hours. Once again, you should inspect your gear each and every time you use it. In this case, he and I both knew it was just a matter of time; he just would have preferred it to be in the back yard, not on top of a mountain in the winter. :)

                  Karen