RE: Springer Campout Dec 31, 2005

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
      Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
      short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

      I'm still expecting 20-30 campers if the weather is good, maybe 10-20 if the
      rain is heavy. The shelter is a double decker & can hold 15-20 campers,
      while there is plenty of hammock trees & ground sites nearby. The interest
      from hammockers is high this year & we also have ground campers who show up
      not knowing about our group. Seems a lot of AT hikers (both thru hikers &
      section hikers) like to celebrate on Springer. One year we even surprised a
      newly wed couple who thought they would be alone in the wilderness! We also
      have had southbound thru hikers finishing their AT hike! And a few
      northbound hikers may be starting on Jan 1! There're all surprised & amazed
      at the summit party! Anyone intending to bring fireworks, please stick to
      hand-helds only (i.e. sparklers) and leave the bombs, cannons, missiles,
      blasters, and bangers at home-this is a National Forest ye know & we don't
      want to burn the place down...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
        The weather forecast for Springer is looking good. I've adapted the
        forecast for Amicalola Falls State Park by reducing the temps 10 degrees:

        Sat 10am-1pm 10-20% rain low 40's < 10mph wind; 1pm-9pm 0 rain, low 30's
        <10mph wind; 9pm-6am Sun 0 rain, mid 30's, 5mph wind;

        Sun 8am---sunny!

        Assume fog and muddy trails & Forest Service roads, but otherwise acceptable
        for most campers. The spring at the shelter should be running wide open!

        _____

[...]

        Camping
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
        amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
        105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

        Camping
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

        Rv
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
        g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
        sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

        Gsi
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

        Happy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

        Outdoors
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
          Gloaters....LOL

          Brian in California.....

          On 12/30/05, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
          > short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
            Well the west siders need to get something planned. We tried here in
            AZ but I never hear if it was a go or not. I contracted the crud and
            couldn't make it so I'm looking forward to another attempt.

            Jamie in AZ

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005
              Ed Speer wrote:
              > Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
              > short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

              y'all have fun!

              Rick
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005

                > Well the west siders need to get something planned. We tried here in
                > AZ but I never hear if it was a go or not. I contracted the crud
                and
                > couldn't make it so I'm looking forward to another attempt.

                I'm thinking maybe somewhere in Big Sur over the January holiday
                (MLK?). I was going to do the Skyline to Sea trail, but if y'all
                wanna meet up somewhere I could probably swing it (pun intended).

                It shouldn't be very cold...maybe low 40s or high 30s...but if you
                have a better place throw it out!

                Jeff
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Cool now we are talking. I need more time to plan a road trip than
                  that unfortunately but if we could just start getting west coast
                  things planned, I'm sure I could make one here and there.

                  jamie