Re: Springer Campout Dec 31, 2005

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
      > Our next SEHHA campout is fast approaching. Hope everyone is
      planning
      > to join us on Springer Mtn Sat nite to ring in the new year!

      Well, I was, but I'm not going to make it. Just finished moving and
      am all boxed in for a few days. Positive side is I'm closer to the
      Smokies so I can do more camping. :-)
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
        Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
        short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

        I'm still expecting 20-30 campers if the weather is good, maybe 10-20 if the
        rain is heavy. The shelter is a double decker & can hold 15-20 campers,
        while there is plenty of hammock trees & ground sites nearby. The interest
        from hammockers is high this year & we also have ground campers who show up
        not knowing about our group. Seems a lot of AT hikers (both thru hikers &
        section hikers) like to celebrate on Springer. One year we even surprised a
        newly wed couple who thought they would be alone in the wilderness! We also
        have had southbound thru hikers finishing their AT hike! And a few
        northbound hikers may be starting on Jan 1! There're all surprised & amazed
        at the summit party! Anyone intending to bring fireworks, please stick to
        hand-helds only (i.e. sparklers) and leave the bombs, cannons, missiles,
        blasters, and bangers at home-this is a National Forest ye know & we don't
        want to burn the place down...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
          The weather forecast for Springer is looking good. I've adapted the
          forecast for Amicalola Falls State Park by reducing the temps 10 degrees:

          Sat 10am-1pm 10-20% rain low 40's < 10mph wind; 1pm-9pm 0 rain, low 30's
          <10mph wind; 9pm-6am Sun 0 rain, mid 30's, 5mph wind;

          Sun 8am---sunny!

          Assume fog and muddy trails & Forest Service roads, but otherwise acceptable
          for most campers. The spring at the shelter should be running wide open!

          _____

[...]

          Camping
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
          amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
          105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

          Camping
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
          &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

          Rv
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
          g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
          sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

          Gsi
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
          &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

          Happy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
          &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

          Outdoors
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
          food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
          g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

          _____

        • RevT
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
            Gloaters....LOL

            Brian in California.....

            On 12/30/05, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

            > Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
            > short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
              Well the west siders need to get something planned. We tried here in
              AZ but I never hear if it was a go or not. I contracted the crud and
              couldn't make it so I'm looking forward to another attempt.

              Jamie in AZ

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@g...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005
                Ed Speer wrote:
                > Sorry to hear about those who can't make Springer tomorrow-we'll have a
                > short moment of reflection for ya. Otherwise the party will go on!

                y'all have fun!

                Rick
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005

                  > Well the west siders need to get something planned. We tried here in
                  > AZ but I never hear if it was a go or not. I contracted the crud
                  and
                  > couldn't make it so I'm looking forward to another attempt.

                  I'm thinking maybe somewhere in Big Sur over the January holiday
                  (MLK?). I was going to do the Skyline to Sea trail, but if y'all
                  wanna meet up somewhere I could probably swing it (pun intended).

                  It shouldn't be very cold...maybe low 40s or high 30s...but if you
                  have a better place throw it out!

                  Jeff
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Cool now we are talking. I need more time to plan a road trip than
                    that unfortunately but if we could just start getting west coast
                    things planned, I'm sure I could make one here and there.

                    jamie