springer mt 05-06

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2005
      i wasn`t really thinking about the extra day hikes... just mentioned
      it because it sounded as if that road/parking mite be intended for day
      hikes only. but like you said, this time of year they usualy aren`t
      to strict. 8 miles ...ummm ...nah, i dought it. if you guys get
      carried away w/ the snake bit med, yall mite all be laying across your
      hammocks when i get there :~) i hope me & my friend jerome won`t be
      the only ones not medicated (we aint skeerd of snow snakes). if so,
      yall mite need a
      DHL. ................................................................
      ..............that`s a designated hammock locater ...tim
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
        marta, brian, & doug ... sorry to hear that you won`t make it to
        springer. i was looking forward to seeing marta`s insulated hammock &
        showing my #2 attempt. it looks better. i`ll weigh it tomorrow
        after the water repellant treatments dry. my friend jerome was told
        by the us postal service that he can`t go either brian. i`m wondering
        if youngblood`s knee is cooperating & if he went to hike in w/ bill
        (bill from houston i think)? i plan to leave winston-salem early
        sat morn & drive to the AT intersection w/ FS road 42 & take the 0.9
        mile hike in to the shelter. at this point it looks like taking I-85
        south to hwy 52 in dawsonville,ga is the strongest sugestion, but i`m
        still looking. ed... hope karen gets to doing better. ...tim
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
          Nope, I'm not backpacking yet. I'm planning on taking the 0.9 mile
          route. I'll get my stuff together today and drive up tomorrow.
          Speaking of my stuff, this kind of trip is not quite backpacking and
          not quite car camping, but it's probably closer to car camping. Last
          year I took the 0.9 mile route and carried my backpacking stuff. When
          I backpack I don't carry warm clothes to stand around in. I'm usually
          hiking or in my hammock with my sleeping bag for warmth and only have
          to stay warm when I'm inactive for the time it takes to cook and eat
          dinner. Last year I got a little chilly like that standing around
          socializing so I think I may carry my bigger pack and some warmer
          clothes this time... maybe some boots as well. Anyhow, I'll see
          everybody tomorrow.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>