springer mt, 05-06

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
      i`m planning to go to springer, but i`ll be working fri eve, probably
      untill 10:00 pm or later. so i`ll be driving down early sat. i`m
      wondering about the best driving route from winston-salem. also what
      are the trail choices? i`m not crazy about driving 4 or 5 hrs & then
      hiking 8+ miles & feeling the need to rush up the trail
      (remember...sloooowwwhike). a hiking friend, jerome, may be coming
      also. if so, he has a 4-wheel drive truck & he was reading about
      shorter hikes in, but the driving/parking was questionable. i haven`t
      had the chance to look at the map or a resent trail guide book yet.
      thanks for any help. ...tim
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...> wrote:
        > (remember...sloooowwwhike). a hiking friend, jerome, may be coming
        > also. if so, he has a 4-wheel drive truck & he was reading about
        > shorter hikes in, but the driving/parking was questionable. i haven`t
        > had the chance to look at the map or a resent trail guide book yet.
        > thanks for any help. ...tim

        Tim,

        Last year (not knowing how easy it was), I did the short 1.9 mile
        approach. Weather was the same as this year and I was able to drive
        up in an old Chevy station wagon (Think LOW Clearance - no 4X4) and
        parking was a non-issue.

        Directions: <http://georgiatrails.com/maps/springer.html>

        See ya' there!

        J.D.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
          thanks jd... it talks about day hiking/parking. what do you know about that? ...tim

          "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote: --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...> wrote:
          > (remember...sloooowwwhike). a hiking friend, jerome, may be coming
          > also. if so, he has a 4-wheel drive truck & he was reading about
          > shorter hikes in, but the driving/parking was questionable. i haven`t
          > had the chance to look at the map or a resent trail guide book yet.
          > thanks for any help. ...tim

          Tim,

          Last year (not knowing how easy it was), I did the short 1.9 mile
          approach. Weather was the same as this year and I was able to drive
          up in an old Chevy station wagon (Think LOW Clearance - no 4X4) and
          parking was a non-issue.

          Directions: <http://georgiatrails.com/maps/springer.html>

          See ya' there!

          J.D.

          tim garner

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
            > thanks jd... it talks about day hiking/parking. what do you know
            about that? ...tim

            Perhaps because it is a Holiday Weekend, there were no Rangers nor
            anyone else to report to... Just Parked and Walked *UP*...<g>...! No
            boxes, no signs, etc. A few cars when I got there and a few when I left.

            Day Hikes - The Benton-McK. is right there with lots of loops and
            alternatives. Frank Kruse sez he will be there and lives nearby; so,
            you can pick his brains for that hiking area.

            Even tho' you mentioned your late arrival and "sloooooowwwwhike", I
            think you shoould do the 8.5 mile approach! Hey, Tim! You've got
            until midnight (That's Next Year! - You've got ALL of 2005 to get
            there!), some of us might still be awake! ...hehehe!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
              > thanks jd... it talks about day hiking/parking. what do you know
              about that? ...tim

              Tim,

              Take a look at this site. About half way down the page, look for:

              "Trail Approaches To Springer Mountain"

              The third paragraph down starts out "The shortest approach involves..."

              <http://www.georgia-atclub.org/directions.html>

              The above may be somewhat better directions and gives you two ways of
              getting there. PLUS....!!! It's only a mile up! But, I don't
              rememebr that being a 5,280 foot climb...<g>..?!?!?!?! ...hehehe!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Aris Dennis
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
                Hi all,

                I just got back from an overnight trip on which I
                changed my hammock insulation strategy slightly. As it
                is summer here (Australia), I took the JRB
                weathershield top sheet in lieu of my top quilt. Under
                my Hennessy I rigged my Nest underquilt. As the night
                progressed, I put on a thermal top and extra socks.
                After 15 mins I found that I was actually overheating
                on what was a slightly chilly night at the valley
                floor of a rainforest!
                I wouldn't have thought the polypropylene
                weathershield would have provided much insulation at
                all, but it trapped warmth nicely. Perhaps my
                bodyheat radiated into the underquilt, then rose and
                was trapped by the weathershield?

                My partner tested out her new Shenandoah universal
                blanket too. She's a cold sleeper but found that she
                was more than warm enough with the underquilt under
                speer hammock. The blanket is so ridiculously light
                that once finances pick up, I'm going to have to get
                one for myself.

                Overall, I think the weathershield is a bit overlooked
                for hammock insulation. Its cheap, light and I'm sure
                could be used by lining it with stuffsacks and other
                spare gear.

                Aris

                __________________________________
              • Aris Dennis
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
                  Hi Gail,

                  I assume you mean noisy, it's not at all nosey ;-)
                  Although the fabric was a bit crinkly when I first got
                  it, once I used it, it softened up and any noise went
                  away. It does require more delicacy in using than
                  nylon would however.
                  And the blanket was the Shenandoah Universal Blanket
                  by JRB. What is the ER blanket?
                  Hope this helps
                  Aris