quilt w/ head hole

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
      the way i made the slit was to sew two strait lines (14" long) side
      by side, going back over them a couple times & conecting them at each
      end. just like a long button hole. then i carefuly cut between them
      to open it up. this left a little insulation & frayed edges exposed
      but it`s just a test to see how well it works. i think a neater,
      edged slit would be easy for someone who knows how to make a button
      hole. i was told that a certain kind of presser foot alows you to
      make a button hole as long as you like, so i got one. i just havent
      tryed to do a button hole yet. i was told by a seamstress friend
      that it a little bit of a challenge to do, but we`ll see. ANYWAY...
      the slit worked well just like that. but a person could go a step
      futher and use elastic & mabey velcro to provide a snugger fit around
      the neck. but i plan to make an "insulated tube", probaby about 4"
      tall, to sew to the hole, like a short, insulated sleeve. before
      putting it together w/ the insulation, i will sew a channel in the
      outter shell. this will acommadate a draw string to bring the
      insulated tube in around the neck. i will probably use a small
      elastic cord to reduce "to much" constriction around the neck. and
      the draw cord will probably be near the center of the 4" tube so it
      will genialy bring the puffy tube in against the neck. this should
      allow for turning freely. i will probably use the same type tube
      for "arm holes" in a quilt as well. i think it will be a light
      weight, effective way to add holes for multi use items. ed said he
      liked the insulated tube w/ draw cord idea. i told him he would be
      welcome to use it if he likes. ...tim
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
        sorry for the lack of photos. i haven`t been able to sell the nikon
        film camera yet, so the only digital camera i have is on a cell phone
        i just got last week. i also got a USB memory card reader to download
        photos onto my pc, but i havent pulled the computer out away from the
        wall so i can plug it into the back yet. then i`ll have to figure out
        how to get the photos from camera to pc, then to yahoo groups. when i
        get that far, i can not only use photos for demonstration, but i can
        also draw diagrams & photograph them. i wonder how well the photos
        from the 1.5 m phone camera will do on the yahoo groups photo
        section? ...tim
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
          Tim, a scanner would be one solution (for now). You can scan photos
          from the nikon and scan drawings all you want. save them as a jpeg
          file. I got a cannon lide 80 for around $60 last year by using some
          mail in rebates. coures if i didn't have a digital camera I'd get
          one of those before spending much on a scanner. however you can
          always use the scanner so it aint like just throwing money away.

          then there are those 4 in one printers which are a fax machine,
          printer, scanner and copier but i hear they are more trouble than
          they are worth. no experiencs with one myself so i wont say.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
            for now i`ll try to see if i can transfer photos from the phone
            camera to the pc... after i get back from a christmas meal w/ the
            family. later i may need to look at a scaner. i have a friend who
            is sometimes pretty good at finding good deals on stuff. thanks &
            merry CHRISTmas ...tim
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 24, 2005
              jack... i looked at the down sleves & hood. now that`s cool! i`ve
              seen down hoods before & detachable sleves, but that combonation w/
              the "no sniveler" is something to check out! are you guys by
              chance, going to springer for new years? thanks...tim
            • jack_tier
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 25, 2005
                wrote:

                > jack... i looked at the down sleves & hood. now that`s cool!
                i`ve
                > seen down hoods before & detachable sleves, but that combonation
                w/
                > the "no sniveler" is something to check out! are you guys by
                > chance, going to springer for new years? thanks...tim

                Tim,

                Springer is a bit far from VA for us on what is primariy family time.

                Jack and I will spend a night hammocking on a bluff high above the
                james river near Jamestown VA...Have not finalized the date yet
                maybe the 1st or 2nd...you and others are welcome to join us...It is
                not The southern terminus... but it is peaceful and da--
                cold....email if interested.

                Oh yeah... we prefer to think of the hood and sleeves as warm not
                cool...but we see your point :-)))

                Jack