Recent Everglades Trip

  • sleibacher
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2005
      About a week ago I posted some info about our after Thanksgiving trip
      to canoe in the Everglades (and as things turned out, a day trip into
      the Okeefenokee swamp in Southern Georgia as well). Due to the
      restrictions on hanging things from trees at Collier State Park where
      we stayed, we ended up stringing our two Hennessey hammocks between our
      cars tied to the luggage carrier of each car. The reason for the "no-
      hang" rule was different, however, than the no hang policy I have run
      into at out local Indiana state parks. Apparently, an endangered snail
      in southern Florida eats a special type of lichen that grows on the
      trees so they do not want the lichen disturbed or killed by anything
      around the trees. I have posted a picture of the hang on the group
      photos:

      Also included an off-topic picture of our custom painted canoe. The
      other side, not shown, is an alligator snapping turtle.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2005
        Thanks for sharing. I really like the paint job on the canoe...bet
        it scares the crap out of the fishies etc.. Nice setup on the HHs.
        did you go over and through the doors or just use the roof rack.
        hard to tell on the faurtherest vehicle and the nearest one was not
        in the pic at all where HHs tied off.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sleibacher" <scot-