RE: Hammock Camping New! Flyfisher's 4 Quarter Hammock (long)

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
      Message
      Pretty impressive Rick!  I'm slammed this am, but should have time to comment more later today....Ed

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
        Hi Ray,

        Pictures... yeah, I need to take them, but did not decide to go to
        the store for the cloth yesterday until after supper, and it was
        twilight before I hung it for the first time.

        The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
        connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
        that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
        between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
        closure of the HH. It's really quite cool. This also keeps the
        insulating pad up against the inside layer which is against my
        back... eliminating the air space which left me cold when I put my
        pad inside a taco shell insulator.

        What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > Rick,
        >
        > Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready
        yet?
        > I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
        > and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you
        did
        > there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it
        is a
        > tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once
        you
        > get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the
        second
        > shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
        > reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
        > won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.
        >
        > Ray
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
          > The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
          > connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
          > that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
          > between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
          > closure of the HH.

          Sounds like a good system for people who don't like messing with
          rigging. When I connected the GI shell to the Speer, I kept the
          drawstring so the slack can be eliminated. In your design, will it
          stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
          cooling)?

          > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

          Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of webbing
          and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check my
          photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot I
          used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
            Ray wrote: In your design, will it
            > stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
            > cooling)?

            No, if it is warm, take the pad out and the two layers come together
            with almost no insulation value. It is like sleeping on a hammock
            without a pad at that stage. For most warm weather, I might prefer
            to keep some bottom insulation and just sleep without the cover...
            but if it is really hot and I am sitting there sweating, it is easy
            enough to take out the pad, and then start cooling off like I am
            laying on a water bed with the heater turned off.

            > > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?
            > >
            > Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of
            webbing
            > and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check
            my
            > photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot
            > used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.

            I like the knot. It has the advantage of being a little easier to
            untie. (Ed's knot is not as impossible as he makes it out to be, but
            it does take 5-10 minutes of working with it to untie after I have
            had weight on it for a night.)

            What I would suggest is as described in my hammock...

            Do you have questions about the directions? I know pics will help,
            but they may not be available before you need to sew. In essence,
            you want the long edge of the bug net to be sort of hammock
            shaped... an arc of a much larger circle. Make it by taking your
            bug net and marking along the short edges 1 foot from one of the long
            edges. Mark the center of the long edge of the bug net right on the
            edge. Then start marking extra points between these three defining
            points so the end result is a nice smooth curve that contains all 3
            points.

            Untie the ends of your hammock, sew the curved long edge of the bug
            net along the entire edge of your material. It will be a little too
            long, because that edge is longer than the straight edge you started
            with. Cut off the unneeded bugnet from the end even with the hammock
            material. Now form your knots again, just allowing almost all of the
            bug net short edge to escape from the knot.

            Now you can throw the bug net across the opening of the hammock or
            throw it back so it is out of the way.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
              Message
              Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest hammock--especially the bug net design.  Certainly less complicated than my design--and i like that a lot.  I've been studing your posts today, but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on that.Could you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro attachment on one side? I can't quite envision how it functions without a ridgeline, but I'm very intriged! Does varying hammock setups with varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?  We need another Hammock Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                Ed, to answer your questions:

                > Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest
                > hammock--especially the bug net design. Certainly less complicated
                than
                > my design--and i like that a lot. I've been studing your posts
                today,
                > but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on
                that.

                Coming as soon as I can enlist one of the family to be a model when
                the sun is up.

                Could
                > you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro
                attachment
                > on one side?

                Well, yes. It is not quite as strong, and not quite as light, and
                you do have the plastic edges of the velcro to threaten you with
                paper cuts (real threat too)

                I can't quite envision how it functions without a
                > ridgeline, but I'm very intriged!

                To explain again... Maybe one time I will make it clear enough to
                understand.

                Start with a hammock for my 6 foot frame. The cloth is cut to 10
                feet in length. If one long edge of the bug net is cut rounded and
                that rounded edge is attached to the long edge of the hammock, then
                both the rounded edge and the long edge of the hammock are 10 feet
                long. But if you take those two pieces and pull from end to end, you
                will not be able to pull the edge of the hammock material tight.
                Why? because there is cloth in the bug net that spans the chord of
                the curve. It gets tight before the edge of the hammock does.

                When you tie the overhand knots, the same relationship exists. A
                chord exists in the bug net and when you pull it tight, the edges of
                the hammock are not tight. When you lay down in the hammock, it sags
                just about the right amount and the chord in the bug net stays tight
                but does not get any tighter (which would destroy the bug net.)

                Now the open edge of the bug net can be attached with velcro in a
                similar curve, or the whole side of the bug net can just be allowed
                to drape over the side of the hammock. It is kept in place by its
                own weight, by a few coins, or with some more significant weight like
                a water bottle in a stuff sack.

                Does varying hammock setups with
                > varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?

                The beauty of the system is that you just tie the hammock up with the
                bug net tight and the hammock is already just loose enough to be
                comfortable.

                We need another Hammock
                > Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                Agree! I think you are going to be at Damascus on the 17th and 18th
                of May (Trail Days). I will be starting a section hike from Hot
                Springs to Erwin that weekend. I plan to be at the bluegrass concert
                to hear a hiker friend sing in Erwin at the campground on the next
                Saturday night (24th). Will you be anywhere close?

                For that matter, anyone else want to hike that section about then?

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                  A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
                  button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
                  throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
                  quarters you can loose this way.

                  It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
                  two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
                  quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
                  place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
                  other end.

                  So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
                  hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
                  hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

                  Rick <><

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                    Message
                    Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
                    Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                      Optimist or pessamist?

                      I prefer to note that:
                      Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
                      I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
                      Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

                      Rick <><

                      > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
                      > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
                      > later..Ed

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                      05
                      > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                      mqso=60164797&pa
                      > rtid=3170658>
                      >
                      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                      M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    • Debra Weisenstein
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                        Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
                        could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
                        other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

                        Deb

                      • Per-Arne Asp
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                          Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

                          //p-a

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                            > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                            Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                            two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                            breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                            closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                            open the net in the middle of the night.

                            Rick <><