Re: New! Flyfisher's 4 Quarter Hammock (long)

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 7:51 AM
      Rick,

      Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready yet?
      I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
      and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you did
      there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it is a
      tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once you
      get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the second
      shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
      reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
      won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.

      Ray
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30 8:01 AM
        Message
        Pretty impressive Rick!  I'm slammed this am, but should have time to comment more later today....Ed

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30 9:46 AM
          Hi Ray,

          Pictures... yeah, I need to take them, but did not decide to go to
          the store for the cloth yesterday until after supper, and it was
          twilight before I hung it for the first time.

          The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
          connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
          that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
          between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
          closure of the HH. It's really quite cool. This also keeps the
          insulating pad up against the inside layer which is against my
          back... eliminating the air space which left me cold when I put my
          pad inside a taco shell insulator.

          What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > Rick,
          >
          > Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready
          yet?
          > I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
          > and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you
          did
          > there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it
          is a
          > tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once
          you
          > get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the
          second
          > shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
          > reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
          > won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.
          >
          > Ray
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30 10:54 AM
            > The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
            > connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
            > that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
            > between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
            > closure of the HH.

            Sounds like a good system for people who don't like messing with
            rigging. When I connected the GI shell to the Speer, I kept the
            drawstring so the slack can be eliminated. In your design, will it
            stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
            cooling)?

            > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

            Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of webbing
            and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check my
            photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot I
            used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30 1:25 PM
              Ray wrote: In your design, will it
              > stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
              > cooling)?

              No, if it is warm, take the pad out and the two layers come together
              with almost no insulation value. It is like sleeping on a hammock
              without a pad at that stage. For most warm weather, I might prefer
              to keep some bottom insulation and just sleep without the cover...
              but if it is really hot and I am sitting there sweating, it is easy
              enough to take out the pad, and then start cooling off like I am
              laying on a water bed with the heater turned off.

              > > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?
              > >
              > Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of
              webbing
              > and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check
              my
              > photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot
              > used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.

              I like the knot. It has the advantage of being a little easier to
              untie. (Ed's knot is not as impossible as he makes it out to be, but
              it does take 5-10 minutes of working with it to untie after I have
              had weight on it for a night.)

              What I would suggest is as described in my hammock...

              Do you have questions about the directions? I know pics will help,
              but they may not be available before you need to sew. In essence,
              you want the long edge of the bug net to be sort of hammock
              shaped... an arc of a much larger circle. Make it by taking your
              bug net and marking along the short edges 1 foot from one of the long
              edges. Mark the center of the long edge of the bug net right on the
              edge. Then start marking extra points between these three defining
              points so the end result is a nice smooth curve that contains all 3
              points.

              Untie the ends of your hammock, sew the curved long edge of the bug
              net along the entire edge of your material. It will be a little too
              long, because that edge is longer than the straight edge you started
              with. Cut off the unneeded bugnet from the end even with the hammock
              material. Now form your knots again, just allowing almost all of the
              bug net short edge to escape from the knot.

              Now you can throw the bug net across the opening of the hammock or
              throw it back so it is out of the way.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30 7:23 PM
                Message
                Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest hammock--especially the bug net design.  Certainly less complicated than my design--and i like that a lot.  I've been studing your posts today, but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on that.Could you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro attachment on one side? I can't quite envision how it functions without a ridgeline, but I'm very intriged! Does varying hammock setups with varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?  We need another Hammock Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30 8:21 PM
                  Ed, to answer your questions:

                  > Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest
                  > hammock--especially the bug net design. Certainly less complicated
                  than
                  > my design--and i like that a lot. I've been studing your posts
                  today,
                  > but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on
                  that.

                  Coming as soon as I can enlist one of the family to be a model when
                  the sun is up.

                  Could
                  > you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro
                  attachment
                  > on one side?

                  Well, yes. It is not quite as strong, and not quite as light, and
                  you do have the plastic edges of the velcro to threaten you with
                  paper cuts (real threat too)

                  I can't quite envision how it functions without a
                  > ridgeline, but I'm very intriged!

                  To explain again... Maybe one time I will make it clear enough to
                  understand.

                  Start with a hammock for my 6 foot frame. The cloth is cut to 10
                  feet in length. If one long edge of the bug net is cut rounded and
                  that rounded edge is attached to the long edge of the hammock, then
                  both the rounded edge and the long edge of the hammock are 10 feet
                  long. But if you take those two pieces and pull from end to end, you
                  will not be able to pull the edge of the hammock material tight.
                  Why? because there is cloth in the bug net that spans the chord of
                  the curve. It gets tight before the edge of the hammock does.

                  When you tie the overhand knots, the same relationship exists. A
                  chord exists in the bug net and when you pull it tight, the edges of
                  the hammock are not tight. When you lay down in the hammock, it sags
                  just about the right amount and the chord in the bug net stays tight
                  but does not get any tighter (which would destroy the bug net.)

                  Now the open edge of the bug net can be attached with velcro in a
                  similar curve, or the whole side of the bug net can just be allowed
                  to drape over the side of the hammock. It is kept in place by its
                  own weight, by a few coins, or with some more significant weight like
                  a water bottle in a stuff sack.

                  Does varying hammock setups with
                  > varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?

                  The beauty of the system is that you just tie the hammock up with the
                  bug net tight and the hammock is already just loose enough to be
                  comfortable.

                  We need another Hammock
                  > Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                  Agree! I think you are going to be at Damascus on the 17th and 18th
                  of May (Trail Days). I will be starting a section hike from Hot
                  Springs to Erwin that weekend. I plan to be at the bluegrass concert
                  to hear a hiker friend sing in Erwin at the campground on the next
                  Saturday night (24th). Will you be anywhere close?

                  For that matter, anyone else want to hike that section about then?

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                    A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
                    button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
                    throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
                    quarters you can loose this way.

                    It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
                    two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
                    quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
                    place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
                    other end.

                    So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
                    hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
                    hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

                    Rick <><

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                      Message
                      Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
                      Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                        Optimist or pessamist?

                        I prefer to note that:
                        Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
                        I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
                        Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

                        Rick <><

                        > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
                        > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
                        > later..Ed

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                        05
                        > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                        mqso=60164797&pa
                        > rtid=3170658>
                        >
                        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                        M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      • Debra Weisenstein
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                          Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
                          could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
                          other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

                          Deb

                        • Per-Arne Asp
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                            Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

                            //p-a

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                              "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                              > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                              Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                              two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                              breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                              closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                              open the net in the middle of the night.

                              Rick <><