Re: New! Flyfisher's 4 Quarter Hammock (long)

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
      I forgot to mention, the 4 quarter hammock weighs 700 grams, 1.5
      pounds.
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
        Rick,

        Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready yet?
        I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
        and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you did
        there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it is a
        tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once you
        get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the second
        shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
        reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
        won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.

        Ray
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
          Message
          Pretty impressive Rick!  I'm slammed this am, but should have time to comment more later today....Ed

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
            Hi Ray,

            Pictures... yeah, I need to take them, but did not decide to go to
            the store for the cloth yesterday until after supper, and it was
            twilight before I hung it for the first time.

            The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
            connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
            that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
            between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
            closure of the HH. It's really quite cool. This also keeps the
            insulating pad up against the inside layer which is against my
            back... eliminating the air space which left me cold when I put my
            pad inside a taco shell insulator.

            What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > Rick,
            >
            > Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready
            yet?
            > I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
            > and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you
            did
            > there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it
            is a
            > tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once
            you
            > get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the
            second
            > shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
            > reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
            > won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.
            >
            > Ray
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
              > The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
              > connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
              > that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
              > between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
              > closure of the HH.

              Sounds like a good system for people who don't like messing with
              rigging. When I connected the GI shell to the Speer, I kept the
              drawstring so the slack can be eliminated. In your design, will it
              stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
              cooling)?

              > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

              Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of webbing
              and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check my
              photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot I
              used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                Ray wrote: In your design, will it
                > stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
                > cooling)?

                No, if it is warm, take the pad out and the two layers come together
                with almost no insulation value. It is like sleeping on a hammock
                without a pad at that stage. For most warm weather, I might prefer
                to keep some bottom insulation and just sleep without the cover...
                but if it is really hot and I am sitting there sweating, it is easy
                enough to take out the pad, and then start cooling off like I am
                laying on a water bed with the heater turned off.

                > > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?
                > >
                > Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of
                webbing
                > and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check
                my
                > photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot
                > used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.

                I like the knot. It has the advantage of being a little easier to
                untie. (Ed's knot is not as impossible as he makes it out to be, but
                it does take 5-10 minutes of working with it to untie after I have
                had weight on it for a night.)

                What I would suggest is as described in my hammock...

                Do you have questions about the directions? I know pics will help,
                but they may not be available before you need to sew. In essence,
                you want the long edge of the bug net to be sort of hammock
                shaped... an arc of a much larger circle. Make it by taking your
                bug net and marking along the short edges 1 foot from one of the long
                edges. Mark the center of the long edge of the bug net right on the
                edge. Then start marking extra points between these three defining
                points so the end result is a nice smooth curve that contains all 3
                points.

                Untie the ends of your hammock, sew the curved long edge of the bug
                net along the entire edge of your material. It will be a little too
                long, because that edge is longer than the straight edge you started
                with. Cut off the unneeded bugnet from the end even with the hammock
                material. Now form your knots again, just allowing almost all of the
                bug net short edge to escape from the knot.

                Now you can throw the bug net across the opening of the hammock or
                throw it back so it is out of the way.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Message
                  Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest hammock--especially the bug net design.  Certainly less complicated than my design--and i like that a lot.  I've been studing your posts today, but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on that.Could you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro attachment on one side? I can't quite envision how it functions without a ridgeline, but I'm very intriged! Does varying hammock setups with varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?  We need another Hammock Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                    Ed, to answer your questions:

                    > Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest
                    > hammock--especially the bug net design. Certainly less complicated
                    than
                    > my design--and i like that a lot. I've been studing your posts
                    today,
                    > but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on
                    that.

                    Coming as soon as I can enlist one of the family to be a model when
                    the sun is up.

                    Could
                    > you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro
                    attachment
                    > on one side?

                    Well, yes. It is not quite as strong, and not quite as light, and
                    you do have the plastic edges of the velcro to threaten you with
                    paper cuts (real threat too)

                    I can't quite envision how it functions without a
                    > ridgeline, but I'm very intriged!

                    To explain again... Maybe one time I will make it clear enough to
                    understand.

                    Start with a hammock for my 6 foot frame. The cloth is cut to 10
                    feet in length. If one long edge of the bug net is cut rounded and
                    that rounded edge is attached to the long edge of the hammock, then
                    both the rounded edge and the long edge of the hammock are 10 feet
                    long. But if you take those two pieces and pull from end to end, you
                    will not be able to pull the edge of the hammock material tight.
                    Why? because there is cloth in the bug net that spans the chord of
                    the curve. It gets tight before the edge of the hammock does.

                    When you tie the overhand knots, the same relationship exists. A
                    chord exists in the bug net and when you pull it tight, the edges of
                    the hammock are not tight. When you lay down in the hammock, it sags
                    just about the right amount and the chord in the bug net stays tight
                    but does not get any tighter (which would destroy the bug net.)

                    Now the open edge of the bug net can be attached with velcro in a
                    similar curve, or the whole side of the bug net can just be allowed
                    to drape over the side of the hammock. It is kept in place by its
                    own weight, by a few coins, or with some more significant weight like
                    a water bottle in a stuff sack.

                    Does varying hammock setups with
                    > varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?

                    The beauty of the system is that you just tie the hammock up with the
                    bug net tight and the hammock is already just loose enough to be
                    comfortable.

                    We need another Hammock
                    > Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                    Agree! I think you are going to be at Damascus on the 17th and 18th
                    of May (Trail Days). I will be starting a section hike from Hot
                    Springs to Erwin that weekend. I plan to be at the bluegrass concert
                    to hear a hiker friend sing in Erwin at the campground on the next
                    Saturday night (24th). Will you be anywhere close?

                    For that matter, anyone else want to hike that section about then?

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                      A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
                      button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
                      throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
                      quarters you can loose this way.

                      It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
                      two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
                      quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
                      place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
                      other end.

                      So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
                      hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
                      hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

                      Rick <><

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                        Message
                        Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
                        Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                          Optimist or pessamist?

                          I prefer to note that:
                          Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
                          I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
                          Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

                          Rick <><

                          > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
                          > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
                          > later..Ed

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                          05
                          > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                          mqso=60164797&pa
                          > rtid=3170658>
                          >
                          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                          M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                          > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        • Debra Weisenstein
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                            Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
                            could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
                            other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

                            Deb

                          • Per-Arne Asp
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2003
                              Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

                              //p-a

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                                > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                                Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                                two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                                breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                                closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                                open the net in the middle of the night.

                                Rick <><