RE: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} [Hammock Camping] mt mitchell dec 17-18

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
      Bill, my elbow punched thru the side of the hammock when I tried to lift
      myself to straighten the sleeping bag beneath me. So I was applying a lot
      of stress at one spot. I was still lying in the hammock, but it was ripped
      from end to end at about lying-down shoulder height. There was no obvious
      stress damage at that spot previous to the failure. However a ½” tear
      beneath my butt on the centerline of the hammock had been present for the
      last 6 months or so. That tear had been caused by snagging the hammock on a
      broken stick and was patched with seam sealant—it was not involved in the
      recent failure….Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005

        > Bill, my elbow punched thru the side of the hammock when I tried to

        Ahh, elbow. I will watch out for that.

        > However a ½" tear
        > beneath my butt on the centerline of the hammock had been present for
        the
        > last 6 months or so. That tear had been caused by snagging the
        hammock on a
        > broken stick and was patched with seam sealant—it was not involved in
        the
        > recent failure….Ed

        Good to know. This is 1.9 oz ripstop nylon, right?

        Bill in Houston
      • Michael B. Carter
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
          I have posted a few photos of our hike on Mt. Mitchell last weekend.
          The album name is Mount Mitchell Hike 12/17/05.

          Enjoy!

          Michael
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
            Thanks Michael, It looks pretty chilly! Tim sure looks smug eating in
            bed. I could not tell Ed was on the ground yet in the photo
            labeled "Hammocker Down".

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
              coy... do i look smug, or snug?:~) note in that last photo that you can see an add-on to the winter hammock. it`s an insulated top pice that covers from the foot-end, all the way up & over my shoulders. i sewed, then opened a slit for my head to go through in that top cover. then my head & shoulders lay on it, basicly stoping all drafts. it worked great. i`m going to incorparate an inproved version (zipper?) on my next hammock. it`s fixed on each side up to about the chest area, then floats down around the shoulders. it covers what ever top quilt your using w/ another light layer of insulation, enclosing you from neck down, yet alowing you to freely turn from side to back, etc. i think it holds great promise for weight/space effecient hammock sleep systems. thanks for the great photos michael! ...tim

              Coy <starnescr@...> wrote: Thanks Michael, It looks pretty chilly! Tim sure looks smug eating in

              <carterm@m...> wrote:

              > I have posted a few photos of our hike on Mt. Mitchell last weekend.
              > The album name is Mount Mitchell Hike 12/17/05.
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Michael

              tim garner

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
                Snug but smug fits LOL the m and n are too close on my keyboard...

                I did notice that. At first I thought it was some kind of vest made
                of the same material as your bag. I also noticed what loooks like a
                gear hammock hung beside you and a lot of crazy angles on the tarp.
                how many tieouts points on the sucker?

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
                wrote:

                > coy... do i look smug, or snug?:~) note in that last photo
                that you can see an add-on to the winter hammock. it`s an insulated
                top pice that covers from the foot-end, all the way up & over my
                shoulders. i sewed, then opened a slit for my head to go through in
                that top cover. then my head & shoulders lay on it, basicly stoping
                all drafts. it worked great. i`m going to incorparate an inproved
                version (zipper?) on my next hammock. it`s fixed on each side up to
                about the chest area, then floats down around the shoulders. it
                covers what ever top quilt your using w/ another light layer of
                insulation, enclosing you from neck down, yet alowing you to freely
                turn from side to back, etc. i think it holds great promise for
                weight/space effecient hammock sleep systems. thanks for the great
                photos michael! ...tim

                > Coy <starnescr@y...> wrote: Thanks Michael, It looks pretty
                chilly! Tim sure looks smug eating in
                > bed. I could not tell Ed was on the ground yet in the photo
                > labeled "Hammocker Down".
                >
                > Coy Boy
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                > <carterm@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have posted a few photos of our hike on Mt. Mitchell last
                weekend.
                > > The album name is Mount Mitchell Hike 12/17/05.
                > >
                > > Enjoy!
                > >
                > > Michael

                Service.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2005
                  Coy <starnescr@...> wrote: Snug but smug fits LOL the m and n are too close on my keyboard...

                  I did notice that. At first I thought it was some kind of vest made
                  of the same material as your bag. I also noticed what loooks like a
                  gear hammock hung beside you and a lot of crazy angles on the tarp.
                  how many tieouts points on the sucker?

                  Coy Boy

                  . coy... yep... that`s a gear hammock/pack cover (black),(motivation by jeff). it was hangin to high next morn, but i did`nt bother w/ it. that`s a ray way tarp. if youv`e seen one there`s 2 tie-outs on each side wall to pull the wall out & add room on the inside. i like that feature a lot, but the beaks on the end (2 more tie outs), are not always great w/ a hammock. it`s way more complicated than it should be. i plan to make another tarp soon. ...tim

                  .
                  ..
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  ..
                  .
                  .
                  ..
                  ..
                  .

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  > tim garner

                  tim garner

                • David Wills
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2005
                    Hey tim, that shoulder wrap is an amazing idea. I just made a Mirage
                    style primaloft over/underquilt for myself for christmas, and the
                    biggest problems are that the open space around my head that lets a
                    lot of heat escape, the space behind hy head is covered, but provides
                    little insulating abilities (excess weight), and the open space around
                    my foot does the same thing (and my feet get really cold). The
                    concept is great and inspiring. A few ideas to maybe improve it even
                    more would be to make a foot pocket in a similar fashion to alleviate
                    that open space and to reduce the lenth in the head and foot
                    underportions (to save weight). Could you give a few more details on
                    how you made it, or some instructions in the 'files' section? Keep up
                    the good work, and let us know how it progresses. -David with no
                    trailname