New! Flyfisher's 4 Quarter Hammock (long)

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
      Goals:

      - more comfortable way to use pad as insulation
      - readily available material
      - no ridge cord
      - inexpensive

      Materials:

      10 yards of 1" poly webbing
      6 2/3 yards 48" polyester cloth (soft to the touch, ?? doubleknit)
      (about 1.5 oz/yard)
      3 1/3 yards of 48" polyester chiffon (wedding veil material)

      Instructions:

      - Lay the chiffon out and scribe/cut one edge so that it is a foot
      less wide at the ends than in the middle of the long edge. Make the
      cut a curve, a segment of a large circle, like the side of a kayak
      seen from above.
      - Cut the polyester hammock material into two pieces 3 1/3 yards long
      - Cut the poly webbing into two equal lengths (15 feet)
      - singe the long edge cut of the chiffon and the ends of all pieces
      (a propane torch is the easy way to do this)
      - make a sandwich with chiffon between two layers of polyester and
      sew a long edge of the two polyester layers and the cut edge of the
      chifon with a half inch seam allowance.
      - At the end of the seam, there will be extra chiffon left over
      (about 3-4 inches). Cut a strip from the end of the chiffon that
      width and then re-singe the edge.
      - turn the outside layers of the sandwitch back and stitch 2.5 feet
      of each end of the long edge of those two layers, forming a pocket of
      hammock material with a layer of chiffon coming out of the opposite
      edge of the "hammock to be"
      - make a Speer type overhand knot in both layers of the hammock
      material, at each end. Incorporate no more of the chiffon in the
      knot than is necessary along the one edge.
      - sew 4 button holes an inch from the free edge of the chiffon. This
      edge of the chiffon is still serged, like it came from the store.
      Make the holes big enough to fit a quarter through the hole
      - Sew a 1.5 inch hem with the button holes centered on one side of
      the hem. Put a quarter through each button hole and sew across the
      hem on each side of the quarter to make a small pocket, holding the
      quarter. (The quarters are weights for the bug net made of chiffon,
      they can be replaced with small smooth stones, but remember not to
      put the stones into a telephone to call home.)
      - wrap the last 6 inches of a poly web around the hammock material
      near the overhand knot. Switch to a zig-zag stitch, 2mm wide and 1mm
      in length and tripple sew across both thickneses of the strap about a
      half inch from the hammock material. Repeat the zig zag stitch 2
      inches further out.

      You are left with a hammock with a double bottom layer and a bug net
      which hangs closed without velcro. Your Target blue pad will fit
      very nicely into the pocket of hammock material and you can add other
      flat clothing if you like. The hammock is hung with Ed Speer's 4
      wrap knot and if tensioned with about 5 pounds of force pulls the
      chord of the circle segment which is the cut edge of the chiffon so
      the bug net is tight over the hammock.

      My cost for the prototype:

      Webbing 10 yards at 0.79 (ouch!) $7.90
      hammock material 6.6 yards at 1.97 13.00
      chiffon 3.3 yards at 2.97 9.80
      500 yards of polyester thread .50
      Total $31.20

      Total time to build: about an hour

      I slept in the prototype (minus the quarters) last night with my
      quilt. It was comfortable and warm with the outside air temperature
      about 50. It sure was nice not needing to worry with the pad all the
      time. I usually turn over 5-8 times in a night and it was much
      easier to do so without any trouble. When I got up in the middle of
      the night to pee, it sure was handy not to have to open the velcro
      and then work to close it again.

      Let me express my indebtness to Ed Speer in this design. He wrote
      the book that got me sewing hammocks. This design retains his poly
      webbing support straps, and his overhand knot. New features include
      a double bottom (partly in debt to Ray Garlington and partly to the
      Crazy Creek hammock); a self closing bug net for which I got the
      germinal idea when looking at a Crazy Creek hammock; a weight closing
      system, modified to quarters from the water bottle system that
      Chad "the one" was using on the AT in Hot Springs, and a bug net
      suspension system of my own invention.

      Now, go out and reproduce (hammocks)!

      Rick <><
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
        I forgot to mention, the 4 quarter hammock weighs 700 grams, 1.5
        pounds.
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
          Rick,

          Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready yet?
          I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
          and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you did
          there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it is a
          tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once you
          get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the second
          shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
          reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
          won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.

          Ray
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
            Message
            Pretty impressive Rick!  I'm slammed this am, but should have time to comment more later today....Ed

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
              Hi Ray,

              Pictures... yeah, I need to take them, but did not decide to go to
              the store for the cloth yesterday until after supper, and it was
              twilight before I hung it for the first time.

              The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
              connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
              that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
              between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
              closure of the HH. It's really quite cool. This also keeps the
              insulating pad up against the inside layer which is against my
              back... eliminating the air space which left me cold when I put my
              pad inside a taco shell insulator.

              What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

              <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > Rick,
              >
              > Your design sounds like a winner. Do you have any pictures ready
              yet?
              > I'm getting ready to leave on my annual AT section hike this friday
              > and have to sew up a bug net, so I'm mostly interested in what you
              did
              > there. I'm retaining the separate shell for the bottom, since it
              is a
              > tarp that might be useful separately, and it connects quickly once
              you
              > get all the rigging ready. (I do have some concerns about the
              second
              > shell (the insulation holder) catching wind as you previously
              > reported. I might be able to rig some velcro to hold it so that it
              > won't do that and have a weighted bug net to lay over it.
              >
              > Ray
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                > The cool thing about the insulation holder with a double bottom,
                > connected on all of one side and about half of the other side, is
                > that the weight of the sleeper in the hammock keeps the opening
                > between the two shells tight and closed... much like the center
                > closure of the HH.

                Sounds like a good system for people who don't like messing with
                rigging. When I connected the GI shell to the Speer, I kept the
                drawstring so the slack can be eliminated. In your design, will it
                stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
                cooling)?

                > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?

                Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of webbing
                and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check my
                photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot I
                used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Ray wrote: In your design, will it
                  > stay open enough on warm nights to let some air circulate (for
                  > cooling)?

                  No, if it is warm, take the pad out and the two layers come together
                  with almost no insulation value. It is like sleeping on a hammock
                  without a pad at that stage. For most warm weather, I might prefer
                  to keep some bottom insulation and just sleep without the cover...
                  but if it is really hot and I am sitting there sweating, it is easy
                  enough to take out the pad, and then start cooling off like I am
                  laying on a water bed with the heater turned off.

                  > > What are you adding a bug net to? A Speer like hammock?
                  > >
                  > Yes, the things I did differently was to use rope instead of
                  webbing
                  > and changed the way the rope connects to the hammock body. Check
                  my
                  > photo folder (here in hammockcamping) to see a picture of the knot
                  > used. I am probably going to use this hammock instead of the HH.

                  I like the knot. It has the advantage of being a little easier to
                  untie. (Ed's knot is not as impossible as he makes it out to be, but
                  it does take 5-10 minutes of working with it to untie after I have
                  had weight on it for a night.)

                  What I would suggest is as described in my hammock...

                  Do you have questions about the directions? I know pics will help,
                  but they may not be available before you need to sew. In essence,
                  you want the long edge of the bug net to be sort of hammock
                  shaped... an arc of a much larger circle. Make it by taking your
                  bug net and marking along the short edges 1 foot from one of the long
                  edges. Mark the center of the long edge of the bug net right on the
                  edge. Then start marking extra points between these three defining
                  points so the end result is a nice smooth curve that contains all 3
                  points.

                  Untie the ends of your hammock, sew the curved long edge of the bug
                  net along the entire edge of your material. It will be a little too
                  long, because that edge is longer than the straight edge you started
                  with. Cut off the unneeded bugnet from the end even with the hammock
                  material. Now form your knots again, just allowing almost all of the
                  bug net short edge to escape from the knot.

                  Now you can throw the bug net across the opening of the hammock or
                  throw it back so it is out of the way.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                    Message
                    Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest hammock--especially the bug net design.  Certainly less complicated than my design--and i like that a lot.  I've been studing your posts today, but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on that.Could you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro attachment on one side? I can't quite envision how it functions without a ridgeline, but I'm very intriged! Does varying hammock setups with varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?  We need another Hammock Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30, 2003
                      Ed, to answer your questions:

                      > Rick, I really like what you've done with your latest
                      > hammock--especially the bug net design. Certainly less complicated
                      than
                      > my design--and i like that a lot. I've been studing your posts
                      today,
                      > but would really like to see photos--I know you're working on
                      that.

                      Coming as soon as I can enlist one of the family to be a model when
                      the sun is up.

                      Could
                      > you make that bug net so it can be removed? Say with Velcro
                      attachment
                      > on one side?

                      Well, yes. It is not quite as strong, and not quite as light, and
                      you do have the plastic edges of the velcro to threaten you with
                      paper cuts (real threat too)

                      I can't quite envision how it functions without a
                      > ridgeline, but I'm very intriged!

                      To explain again... Maybe one time I will make it clear enough to
                      understand.

                      Start with a hammock for my 6 foot frame. The cloth is cut to 10
                      feet in length. If one long edge of the bug net is cut rounded and
                      that rounded edge is attached to the long edge of the hammock, then
                      both the rounded edge and the long edge of the hammock are 10 feet
                      long. But if you take those two pieces and pull from end to end, you
                      will not be able to pull the edge of the hammock material tight.
                      Why? because there is cloth in the bug net that spans the chord of
                      the curve. It gets tight before the edge of the hammock does.

                      When you tie the overhand knots, the same relationship exists. A
                      chord exists in the bug net and when you pull it tight, the edges of
                      the hammock are not tight. When you lay down in the hammock, it sags
                      just about the right amount and the chord in the bug net stays tight
                      but does not get any tighter (which would destroy the bug net.)

                      Now the open edge of the bug net can be attached with velcro in a
                      similar curve, or the whole side of the bug net can just be allowed
                      to drape over the side of the hammock. It is kept in place by its
                      own weight, by a few coins, or with some more significant weight like
                      a water bottle in a stuff sack.

                      Does varying hammock setups with
                      > varying tension affect how the bug net hangs?

                      The beauty of the system is that you just tie the hammock up with the
                      bug net tight and the hammock is already just loose enough to be
                      comfortable.

                      We need another Hammock
                      > Hangers trip so I can see that hammock. Thanks for sharing....Ed

                      Agree! I think you are going to be at Damascus on the 17th and 18th
                      of May (Trail Days). I will be starting a section hike from Hot
                      Springs to Erwin that weekend. I plan to be at the bluegrass concert
                      to hear a hiker friend sing in Erwin at the campground on the next
                      Saturday night (24th). Will you be anywhere close?

                      For that matter, anyone else want to hike that section about then?

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1 8:24 AM
                        A couple changes I made overnight: It does not work for me to make
                        button holes to put the quarters in... they keep coming out when I
                        throw the net over the hammock and back... You have no idea how many
                        quarters you can loose this way.

                        It is also unnecessary to have quarters at the ends as weights.. Just
                        two weights about 2.5 feet from each end... For this I took a
                        quarter and slipped it down the hem and just sewed it permanently in
                        place. Then I did the same for a second quarter 2.5 feet from the
                        other end.

                        So now I guess it is not a 4 quarter hammock, but a "quarter weight
                        hammock" - does that sound nice to the ear of you ultralight
                        hikers?? Clever i'd say ;)

                        Rick <><

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1 9:48 AM
                          Message
                          Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock?  LOL
                          Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up later..Ed

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1 9:52 AM
                            Optimist or pessamist?

                            I prefer to note that:
                            Original 4 quarter hammock weighed 1.5 pounds.
                            I cut the weight of the hammock by 50 cent.
                            Which is one reason I now call it the quarter weight hammock.

                            Rick <><

                            > Does that mean you now have a 50 cent hammock? LOL
                            > Thunder boomers today are shutting down my computer. Be back up
                            > later..Ed

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                            05
                            > 065843:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                            mqso=60164797&pa
                            > rtid=3170658>
                            >
                            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                            M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=592629266>

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          • Debra Weisenstein
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 1 10:33 AM
                              Why not just leave open pockets for the weights? A swiss army knife
                              could provide a nice weight in one. Any maybe a headlamp for the
                              other, since you want that handy at night anyway.

                              Deb

                            • Per-Arne Asp
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 1 10:48 AM
                                Good thinking Debra, multiple use...

                                //p-a

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2 7:04 AM
                                  "Debra Weisenstein" wrote:
                                  > Why not just leave open pockets for the weights?

                                  Having a pocket there is a good idea, to keep glasses, etc. But the
                                  two quarters seem to have enough weight to keep it closed in a little
                                  breeze, and their total weight is 10 grams... Nice thing since I
                                  closed them in is that they do not go flying through the woods when I
                                  open the net in the middle of the night.

                                  Rick <><