Re: Bag color

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
      <little_daddy979@y...> wrote:
      > Has anyone got a good answer to the sleeping bag/ quilt color
      > question? Ed has on the speer hammock website that dark outside,
      > light inside is the best, light for reflecting body heat back and
      > dark for drying. Ray Jardine says the opposite (if i remember
      > correctly). Light to reflect escaping heat back to the bag, and
      > dark next to skin to absorb warmth.

      As I understand the color question, the PRIMARY reason for the darker
      color is to dry-it-out-in-the-sun more quickly.

      > Also, what have people found to be the smallest width for an
      > underquilt around the head, feet, and torso

      Marta says that the "accepted" measurement is to lay on your side and
      measure from the ground up over your shoulder and to the ground on the
      other side. That makes sense 'cause you are going to be side-sleeping
      at some point during the night. Tapered smaller at your feet unless
      your feet are of such size that the measurement exceeds that of your
      shoulders....<g>...

      > Also, I found an awesome goldish brown 9 oz Ranier Down Vest from
      > the early 80's in my aunt's closet yesterdat and wanted to share
      > that.

      Cool...! So, who are you going to "share" that vest with....<g>...?

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.